Thread Tools
May 10, 2020, 04:00 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Discussion

The secret sauce of NZ.


I thought this article was a very nice positive piece, and having been to NZ, with a sister-in-law (and relatives) living there agree with what is said in it.

https://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary...land-s-success

The 'military' attitude when addressing a problem like a pandemic is, I think, a very male approach. Probably aimed more at the ego of the leadership and less at the problems/concerns of those being affected. And I certainly noticed that the NZ politicians voluntarily cut their salary - which is something I still haven't seen here or anywhere else!

If only the rest of us had the quality of political leadership they have!!
Last edited by Norman Adlam; May 10, 2020 at 04:46 AM.
May 10, 2020, 04:20 AM
Eye of The Storm
JudahBenHur's Avatar

The scret sauce of NZ.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam
I thought this article was a very nice positive piece, and having been to NZ, with a sister-in-law (and relatives) living there agree with what is said in it.

https://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary...land-s-success

The 'military' attitude when addressing a problem like a pandemic is, I think, a very male approach. Probably aimed more at the ego of the leadership and less at the problems/concerns of those being affected. And I certainly noticed that the NZ politicians voluntarily cut their salary - which is something I still haven't seen here or anywhere else!

If only the rest of us had the quality of political leadership they have!!
Every country has its positives and negatives when dealing with a 'pandemic'. That can be either with the flow of people in and out of its borders, remoteness, or laws that they must uphold. I say that last one with reservation because it has been abused many times over. The virus can be referred to many things, it is a virus and it doesn't care if you call it nice things or bad things. All politicians use words that don't hold up to the smell test. Like for example, "effectively eliminating the virus". It's still out there and those single digits can multiply. I did notice a slant to the article in a way but it's not my writing. It would be good to see all these politicians at the top cut their salary. It would even be better if they gave most of it away to charitable causes and only accepted what was required by the laws that govern their office.



Edit your title Norman: The scret sauce of NZ.

Jacinda won't like The Urban Dictionary of that one.
Last edited by JudahBenHur; May 10, 2020 at 04:27 AM.
May 10, 2020, 04:34 AM
Tezact
tezact's Avatar
Pedants rule
May 10, 2020, 04:54 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudahBenHur
Every country has its positives and negatives when dealing with a 'pandemic'. That can be either with the flow of people in and out of its borders, remoteness, or laws that they must uphold. I say that last one with reservation because it has been abused many times over. The virus can be referred to many things, it is a virus and it doesn't care if you call it nice things or bad things. All politicians use words that don't hold up to the smell test. Like for example, "effectively eliminating the virus". It's still out there and those single digits can multiply. I did notice a slant to the article in a way but it's not my writing. It would be good to see all these politicians at the top cut their salary. It would even be better if they gave most of it away to charitable causes and only accepted what was required by the laws that govern their office.



Edit your title Norman: The scret sauce of NZ.

Jacinda won't like The Urban Dictionary of that one.
Thanks for spotting that.

(I have no idea about what it what means in 'The Urban Dictionary' and don't actually care, I'm afraid. I'm unlikely to ever be 'Down wiv da kids!' )

Yep, of course the virus is still there! That's a given. Also of course the virus doesn't care about what it's called (nor how scared, brave or arrogant people are). But it's how to be seen as putting people who employ you at the top of the agenda - which she has done really well!

The article was about the "not the 'normal' political politicians behaviour" in NZ whilst managing the pandemic. She also managed the terrorist attacks in a professional way! (The sister-in-law says that it's pretty much a given that she'll be re-elected in the upcoming elections).

Gets my (and many others) vote!
May 10, 2020, 05:23 AM
Rev Otis Elevator
Kiwiphil's Avatar
We have been very lucky imho, to have the right person at the right time as our Prime Minister.
Fortune does occasionally favour the brave and our geographic isolation has worked in our favour.
The New Zealand Government adopted the approach of “ Go hard and go early” in that they (reasonably) promptly closed the boarders to all but returning Kiwis, who were required to Self Isolate for 2weeks upon arrival.
The Covid 19 alert level system was explained in simple to understand language to the country via all media thereby ensuring the greatest reach.
The Level 4 shutdown was managed effectively by all but a few of our fellow citizens. While this course of action was not approved of by all New Zealanders it was accepted and compliance was almost total.
The Govt position of Elimination and possibly Eradication of the virus while maintaining a healthy workforce would allow us to limit the economic damage by shutting down for the minimum amount of time and starting back at full steam at the earliest opportunity, perhaps even gaining a boost to our economy by getting back to work while other countries, who were slower to respond, suffer an extended period of uncertainty while they struggle to suppress the spread of the virus and cope with the corresponding extended period of economic hardship.
The commitment by the government to cover 80% of employees wages and getting the money into Kiwis bank accounts almost immediately was an important factor in keeping public confidence in the National Covid strategy
The Prime Minister had shown NZ and the world a new compassionate type of leadership when the Christchurch Muslim community suffered the outrage of the Mosque shootings last year. That compassion has marked the NZ government approach to the pandemic and its personal and economic toll on the Nation.
The performance of our Finance Minister Grant Robertson and our Director General of Public Health and his pandemic response team has also been exemplary.
The daily briefings by the PM and the DG of Public Health have been reassuring ,calm, focused and professional.
Now as get back to work in this brave new world we will see how the economic theory works in practice.
Best wishes,
Phil
May 10, 2020, 05:34 AM
Get One Up!!!
leccyflyer's Avatar
As I've said before I think your PM played a blinder on this, with swift, decisive action, putting people first and following the best scientific advice available/. Your country has reaped the benefits in the low infection rate, lack of deaths and will be starting up your economy early with the minimum possible time closed under the circumstances. True leadership.
May 10, 2020, 08:32 AM
Gravity-Compliant User
Zaurak3's Avatar
I have immediate family living in NZ as well as having lived and worked there myself, so I am watching this experiment closely.

While I do agree Jacinda's government has gone the correct route with the hard `bubble' tactic, NZ was in a fairly unique situation being a small island nation able to quickly close her borders and physically distant themselves from the world - this coronavirus doesn't like crossing oceans without hitching a ride. However, it seems to me that unless NZ (and, to a similar extent, Australia) can keep their borders virtually locked until an effective vaccine is available, this will turn out to be just a delaying measure. Hopefully, a vaccine will be available soon, so the country can get back to normal. Until then, I can't visit my grandkids there, and they can't come visit me.
May 10, 2020, 08:42 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3
I have immediate family living in NZ as well as having lived and worked there myself, so I am watching this experiment closely.

While I do agree Jacinda's government has gone the correct route with the hard `bubble' tactic, NZ was in a fairly unique situation being a small island nation able to quickly close her borders and physically distant themselves from the world - this coronavirus doesn't like crossing oceans without hitching a ride. However, it seems to me that unless NZ (and, to a similar extent, Australia) can keep their borders virtually locked until an effective vaccine is available, this will turn out to be just a delaying measure. Hopefully, a vaccine will be available soon, so the country can get back to normal. Until then, I can't visit my grandkids there, and they can't come visit me.
Agreed - but I suspect you underestimate the incompetence of some, who could overcome any natural advantages 'at a single bound'!

They dun it right!

May 10, 2020, 05:27 PM
Registered User
Jacinda taken that pay cut yet? Askin' for a friend...
May 10, 2020, 05:38 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjr_93tz
Jacinda taken that pay cut yet? Askin' for a friend...
Pass this on to your friend...

https://fullfact.org/online/new-zeal...k-coronavirus/
May 10, 2020, 05:49 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam
Thanks, my friend was confused because he read this, and thought the pay cut had been blocked?

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/polit...osed-bill.html
May 10, 2020, 06:54 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3
.....However, it seems to me that unless NZ (and, to a similar extent, Australia) can keep their borders virtually locked until an effective vaccine is available, this will turn out to be just a delaying measure. Hopefully, a vaccine will be available soon, so the country can get back to normal. Until then, I can't visit my grandkids there, and they can't come visit me.
You should be able visit with testing and quarantine. All returning nzers isolated for 14 days
May 10, 2020, 06:57 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjr_93tz
Thanks, my friend was confused because he read this, and thought the pay cut had been blocked?

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/polit...osed-bill.html
That is just David Seymour trying to get any traction he can
May 10, 2020, 08:31 PM
Eye of The Storm
JudahBenHur's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3
I have immediate family living in NZ as well as having lived and worked there myself, so I am watching this experiment closely.

While I do agree Jacinda's government has gone the correct route with the hard `bubble' tactic, NZ was in a fairly unique situation being a small island nation able to quickly close her borders and physically distant themselves from the world - this coronavirus doesn't like crossing oceans without hitching a ride. However, it seems to me that unless NZ (and, to a similar extent, Australia) can keep their borders virtually locked until an effective vaccine is available, this will turn out to be just a delaying measure. Hopefully, a vaccine will be available soon, so the country can get back to normal. Until then, I can't visit my grandkids there, and they can't come visit me.
One good thing about them closing the borders is they weren't called racist.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Dynam Aircraft now available in NZ - www.hobbyzone.nz Hobbyzone NZ Electric Plane Talk 1 Dec 02, 2016 06:22 PM
Discussion Where to buy Q500 4k parts in NZ I need wings Multirotor Drone Talk 0 Nov 25, 2015 01:12 AM
Discussion Hobbyking Won't ship LiPos to NZ from Int Warehouse? Gaz3545 HobbyKing 8 Oct 19, 2015 10:25 AM