My first lipo fire. - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 17, 2005, 09:34 AM
WWW.AWLHOBBIES.COM

My first lipo fire.

Had my first lipo fire yesterday. My fault. I put the pack in my Align F-16, I had modified the battery box, and was holding the balsa cover on with 2 screws. Well, one of the screws was quite long. It went right into the pack, and POOF!! Burned the whole front of the plane up. Somehow it did not destroy the speed controller or the reciever. It was cool to watch, but I could almost see the $$ go up in smoke.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2005, 09:37 AM
one game away...
You got off cheap compared to some of the horror stories I've read on here. Painful none the less though, I'm sure. Good luck and consider it a lesson learned, eh?

matt
Apr 17, 2005, 09:58 AM
Good to hear that you were not hurt, and damage was not more extensive. The only Li cell I've seen that responds benignly to penetration is the Saphion. Video of a nail penetrating a fully charged Saphion shows virtually no reaction.
Apr 17, 2005, 11:16 AM
Several people have reported driving nails thorough LiPos and nothing happened. Conclusions can't be drawn for all cases based on single episodes. Too many variables.

- RD
Apr 17, 2005, 11:18 AM
Twist n' Shout!
hopefully its your last fire too, before careful with those things, treat em' nicely.
Apr 17, 2005, 01:12 PM
Space Coast USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD Blakeslee
Several people have reported driving nails thorough LiPos and nothing happened. Conclusions can't be drawn for all cases based on single episodes. Too many variables.

- RD
True RD, and even shot them, but on the other side of the fence is the distinct possibility that it could happen. Myself, and I think you also, would get behind a shield before puncturing one.

94za4, couple of questions if you don't mind.....
Was the battery fully charged?
Brand, # cells, mah capacity?
Where did the screw penetrate the pack?
Apr 17, 2005, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD Blakeslee
True, this has been reported by a few people, and it's a little puzzling as to why some react violently and some don't. To be 100% accurate, I should have said that the Saphions are said by their manufacturer to always react benignly to a nail being driven through them whereas other Li cells are much less predictable.
Apr 17, 2005, 07:26 PM
WWW.AWLHOBBIES.COM
Sure hoppy. It was a 3S 1500 Elictrifly pack. I believe that they are re-labeled Kokams. They were fully charged the night before. The screw either went into one of the cells or between two, shorting them out. So if you look at the pack edge on it went in that way, near one of the ends. When it went off, it looked like all 3 packs burned seperately, smoke/flame, a second or two, more smoke/flame, a couple of more seconds and smoke/flam again. By that time the nose of the plane was dusted. Thing is, it was to be the re-maiden of that plane with a brushless motor. Did not even get to fly it with the brushless.
Apr 18, 2005, 08:02 AM
A member at my local flying club had an accident using lipo's that could have been prevented. he left a pack pluged in a model for a week, the pack then discharged to 1 volt over the three cell pack, he then proceeded to charge them in the plane which caught fire and destroyed the whole plane.
Apr 18, 2005, 08:03 AM
No one was hurt, and im glad you didnt either
Apr 18, 2005, 05:22 PM
I spent at least a half hour at the field the other day trying to enlighten a new guy about the hazards of lipos and what to do and not to do. He bought the pack at an lhs, he did not even know what the amp draw was for his setup, or if the controller had a bec for lipos, had no idea about overdraw and overdischarge, etc, etc.. Sad part is that this was the second time I had talked to him about it. And , I almost forgot. He showed me the new motor/gearbox set up he had in the plane, and the bare wires at the solder joints! Amazing, but some people just don't get it.
Apr 18, 2005, 05:26 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Come on, where are the pictures!! I want pictures of the burning plane!! If you didn't get any could you possibly light another on fire and take some quick shots to satisfy my morbid curiosity with other peoples carnage!!!
Apr 18, 2005, 06:39 PM
A member at the club took some pics after the fire, ill try and ge them for ya
Apr 18, 2005, 07:20 PM
WWW.AWLHOBBIES.COM
Unfortinately I did not get any pictures of mine, no camera there. Next time?