May 08, 2020, 10:49 AM
Learning a lot slowly!
Thread OP
Discussion

SucceX F7 flight controller and GPS

I am trying to find out if it is possible to add a GPS module/unit to my "iFlight Titan DC5 with DJI air unit BNF" quad, so that I can have "Return to home" in case I panic or get lost.

The specs show that the FC it uses is "SucceX F7 flight controller".

I have looked on lots of diagrams/pics of this FC, and cannot see that it has I2C data line pads, which I think I will need for some GPS units (eg Beitian BN-880 or Matek SAM M8Q, both of which have the "usual" 6 wires to go to the FC [VCC/Gnd/Rx/Tx/SCL/SDA]).

Am I missing something quite obvious please (distinctly possible!)?

I see that the Beitian BN-220 GPS unit only has 4 wires (VCC/Gnd/Rx/Tx), so I could wire this up OK, but don't know if this will give me the RTH feature that I am after.

Can anyone help a very confused person out here please?

Many thanks, Alasdair
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2020, 07:39 PM
FA3PR9WM79
If memory serves the GPS for a DJI NAZA flight controller puts GPS and Compass data on a single serial port...
May 09, 2020, 01:16 AM
Learning a lot slowly!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgazer
If memory serves the GPS for a DJI NAZA flight controller puts GPS and Compass data on a single serial port...
Thanks for the reply. The FC is the SucceX F7 so not DJI Naza.
Will probably go ahead and try installing BN-220 GPS anyway to see what happens.
Regards, Alasdair
May 09, 2020, 02:19 AM
You need the i2c pads (SCA, SDA) for the compass (magnetometer) other wise rescue will not work.
Im not familiar with that FC but Id expect them to be there somewhere as barometer also uses the i2c bus
Post up some images for us to look at
Cheers
Steve
May 09, 2020, 06:34 AM
Learning a lot slowly!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevietee10
You need the i2c pads (SCA, SDA) for the compass (magnetometer) other wise rescue will not work.
I’m not familiar with that FC but I’d expect them to be there somewhere as barometer also uses the i2c bus
Cheers
Steve
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I should have a chance to take the quad apart tomorrow and will take pics then.

I'm used to the Matek F405 Wing FC which has two clearly marked pads CL and DA, but may be expecting too much for pads on all other FCs to be clearly identified.

Will report back to update how I get on in next few days.

Keep well, and thanks, Alasdair
May 09, 2020, 07:18 AM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlasdairM
Thanks for the reply. The FC is the SucceX F7 so not DJI Naza.
Will probably go ahead and try installing BN-220 GPS anyway to see what happens.
Regards, Alasdair
You don't get it.

The typical GPS uses a serial port for the GPS data and the i2c buss for compass data. Connecting a typical GPS/Compass to your current flight controller this "use" 2 uarts.

The DJI GPS multiplexes compass and GPS data through a single serial port that uses 1 UART on the flight controller.
May 09, 2020, 07:21 AM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevietee10
Im not familiar with that FC but Id expect them to be there somewhere as barometer also uses the i2c bus
Cheers
Steve
You connect the compass i2c to the RX and TX of a UART. Enabling Compass and/or barometer in Betaflight will tell the firmware to scan for i2c devices. this is exactly how my FC behaved when I was running iNav.
May 10, 2020, 08:31 AM
Learning a lot slowly!
Thread OP
Quote:
You don't get it.

The typical GPS uses a serial port for the GPS data and the i2c buss for compass data. Connecting a typical GPS/Compass to your current flight controller this "use" 2 uarts.

The DJI GPS multiplexes compass and GPS data through a single serial port that uses 1 UART on the flight controller.
Quote:
You connect the compass i2c to the RX and TX of a UART. Enabling Compass and/or barometer in Betaflight will tell the firmware to scan for i2c devices. this is exactly how my FC behaved when I was running iNav.
Finally got it (I think) - thank you for your perseverance!

My lack of knowledge meant I was looking for pads on the fc marked SCL and SDA, which the only fc I am familiar with (Matek F405 Wing), has.

You have now educated me enough to realise that provided there is another UART available (which there is on the Succex-F7 fc in my quad: R3 + T3) I can use this.

So thanks again to all who put me straight on this - very much a steep learning curve for me I am afraid.

Keep well all.

Regards, Alasdair
May 10, 2020, 02:19 PM
You don't need a compass for Betaflight GPS Rescue mode.
https://github.com/betaflight/betafl...PS-rescue-mode

BN-220 is a good choice, only GND, +5V, RX, TX needed, 4 wires.
May 11, 2020, 03:51 AM
Learning a lot slowly!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorro
You don't need a compass for Betaflight GPS Rescue mode.
https://github.com/betaflight/betafl...PS-rescue-mode

BN-220 is a good choice, only GND, +5V, RX, TX needed, 4 wires.
Great stuff - as it happens I ordered the BN-220 yesterday online - so am very pleased to hear you confirm my choice.

And as you say, only 4 wires to connect instead of 6.

Many thanks for taking time to read and reply.

Regards, Alasdair
May 15, 2020, 09:38 AM
Learning a lot slowly!
Thread OP
Final update to this - GPS is now fitted and working well.

Very pleased I persevered with the project, despite my lack of knowledge at the outset.

Thanks to all who offered advice and guidance (Oldgazer, steevietee10 and gorro).

Regards, Alasdair

Quick Reply