Jul 10, 2020, 03:17 AM
flyin' fool
This is from one of three weekend sites we have. No club, no dues, no MAAC, no BS .............. just fun.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2020, 04:38 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
“ Okay, now you can see that every flying object that weighs more than a table-tennis ball needs to have its own electronic beacon, so that you can track it as it commits an act of terrorism, so you can find the person flying it, torture him, lock him up for good, maybe take away his children and throw them into little dog-cages for fun while you’re at it.”
“ This set of laws isn't about rationality. This sort of punitive, stupid law comes from people who have low IQs, and who believe everybody (except themselves) is evil.”

One can only hope the NEXT administration has the sensibility to discern Drone from Model plane … Hobbyist from Terrorist … as one now that cannot even determine the relative position of arse from elbow …
Let’s Not change our planes , let’s change our Government … They are the ones that seem to be the problem …

These words seem particularly True , especially for a Government that has Divided the masses , seems unable to pass any sensible legislation , and is totally incapable of handling the “pandemic” of their own creation ( by their own apathy) .
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jul 10, 2020, 04:50 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
And i must wonder about the Drone Lobby … and how those promoting Drones have “bribed” this Gov. for favor … We see several businesses touting Drone delivery , which as we know , once the sky becomes crowded with delivery drones (skynet ) they will be crashing into each other , having mechanical failures , bird strikes , and will be falling on the population causing damage possibly killing people … What will the fate of drones be then when popular image turns to terror …???
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jul 10, 2020, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Lets face it we ALL HAVE CELL PHONES.
Moms & Dads, Gramps & Grammas, Kids.

WHY would we need YET ANOTHER Location finding device.
We all have a cell phone with us continuously all day long.

So, can we PLEASE just CONCLUDE that our Cell phones
ARE the equivalent of Transponders or Friend or Foe devices.
We simply Hit a button on an App that says we are flying.
DONE !

There does NOT seem to be a need to know the absolute position of the model
as long as we are Flying Line Of Sight. RIGHT ? !

ALL other types of Long Distance, UAV style flying can and should be covered by the FAA rules.

ANYTHING ELSE is a Waste of time and money.

But what if there's no cell service ?
then WHO CARES !
Why would anyone care ?
There's no one there to care !

The Cell phone has all the info that "they" will EVER need.

Any other mechanism would simply be redundant, and waste of time and money .

Registration and tail numbers and costs are a FOLLY.

Go ahead and let "THEM" set up a database and continental MAP .
A call in would then result in a small hemisphere of ~ 1200' diameter which would be visible on the MAP.
If anyone cared to look at it, that MAP ( think Google Earth)
would show ALL the locations of all the "drones" flying at PARKS, CLUB FIELDS and PRIVATE FIELDS.

Given the size of CONUS there would simply be a few pin pricks distributed across the nation.
EVERYTHING ELSE would be OK for the Commercial operators !

The UAV and Commercial users could then use that REAL TIME info to AVOID THOSE AREAS in their navigation schemes.

This is NOT Rocket Science !

WAKE UP AMA and FAA and smell the 21st century !!!
I like your thought process.
I would say that the app work on the device like 911 system does. 911 works on devices even if they don’t have service. When the button is depressed that you are flying just let it ping like a beacon. After the button is pressed to end your flying time it no longer transmits.
Jul 10, 2020, 08:00 AM
Retired CAD guy
Next administration INDEED !
If The current administration had not been continuously badgered and hampered ,
for the last 3 1/2 yrs,
Then it might have had the opportunity to actuality Drane the Swamp and
impanel administrators that would listen to We the Governed !
Jul 10, 2020, 11:32 AM
Gentlemen, this has been coming for many years. I know that I had several discussions with fellow USAF officers in the early 1990's, when we were all in the same unit. They were amazed R/C models were legal, as it would be so easy to put a bomb on one and fly it into a building. That was before 911, before GPS equipped models, and before cheap FPV.

I'm not saying I want to see restrictions, but I do believe they will be coming down on us. Hopefully, we'll be able to salvage at least some flying 'rights', but I fear the days of unrestricted, large, and fast models are ending.

CD
Jul 10, 2020, 11:40 AM
Koo
Koo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel
Gentlemen, this has been coming for many years. I know that I had several discussions with fellow USAF officers in the early 1990's, when we were all in the same unit. They were amazed R/C models were legal, as it would be so easy to put a bomb on one and fly it into a building. That was before 911, before GPS equipped models, and before cheap FPV.

I'm not saying I want to see restrictions, but I do believe they will be coming down on us. Hopefully, we'll be able to salvage at least some flying 'rights', but I fear the days of unrestricted, large, and fast models are ending.

CD
"If you don't trust people,
you make them untrustworthy." -Tao Te Ching.

The tech what you are describing has existed for the last few years, yet no one has put explosives on UAVs and done those things. They are coming up with stupid and un-realistic scenarios that haven't happened yet, and by worrying about it so much, they literally make the public untrustworthy to themselves.

Even with black boxes or something, it still would be possible to make that happen. The law obedient people use the tracking devices so that the big brother can monitor their movement, and then any potential bad actor just refuses to use one. It's so stupid and counter productive.
Jul 10, 2020, 12:09 PM
Got shenpa?
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
...Abbotsford...it was Grand country and scenery !
Still beautiful, but they are pouring concrete and building condos (apartments) as fast as they can, so all that lovely lush green beauty is disappearing fast.

Go a little further to Chilliwack, and there are places that, to me, look as beautiful as any postcard of Switzerland I've seen.

Northern Washington state on the US side of the border is just as gorgeous, from what I've seen of it.

All this area was once the worlds biggest temperate rain forest. Lots of rain, incredibly fertile soil washed down and deposited by big rivers.

Back to RC flying, from checking the MAAC website, all the local RC meets have been cancelled. No big surprise there, given the realities of COVID-19.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Jul 10, 2020, 12:25 PM
Got shenpa?
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
There's lots of great designs in all flavors of model aircraft under 250 grams/8.8 ounces. That's all I fly now after over 5 decades in RC. I no longer belong to clubs or MAAC, as all that toy airplane politics ruined the fun. I'm now liberated from everything but having fun when it comes to the hobby.
That's pretty much how I started in the hobby, back in 2004 - except my first few RC planes weighed about one and a half or twice as much. 500 gm / 1 lb is a sweet spot, I think, as you can have a model big enough to see (1 metre / 40 inches), heavy enough to handle a little wind, and the electronics doesn't have to be so small that costs start to climb again.

I'm going to have to re-learn how to build stuff down to 250 grams, on a tight budget. For instance, I bought a Flysky i6X transmitter, which came with a receiver - a big fat one, weighing 15 grams...perfect for a 500 gm model, but a challenge on a 250 gm/9 oz one.
Quote:
...we have six flying sites..have no size limitations and are active all year long...move here!
Sounds like heaven! And looks like heaven, too - Vancouver Island is surely one of the most gorgeous places on earth!

If I didn't have a job here on the mainland, and if I had half a million bucks to pay for housing on the gorgeous-but-expensive island, I would be very tempted!

-Flieslikeabeagle
Jul 10, 2020, 12:57 PM
Got shenpa?
Quote:
They were amazed R/C models were legal, as it would be so easy to put a bomb on one and fly it into a building. That was before 911, before GPS equipped models, and before cheap FPV.
Since you fly RC models, you know that you would be hard pressed to find one that can carry any significant weight. Yes, you could put a (small) firecracker on a parkflyer and maybe terrify a puppy or a small child with it.

But if you were a terrorist who wasn't terminally stupid, why waste your time with such small fry? The mere grams of explosive a small RC plane can carry is ridiculously insufficient to do any signficant damage; you'd have trouble blowing up anything bigger or more solidly built than a plastic Port-A-Potty.

Meantime, our roads are full of vans that can carry several thousand pounds of explosive, and there are tens of thousands of parking lots where you can leave a van, with nobody paying it the slightest attention. This is why Timothy McVeigh used a truck to blow up the Federal building in Oklahoma in 1995, and not an RC plane.

And remember, if some terrorist actually wanted to use a flying bomb, he could not possibly be so stupid as to follow all the laws and register himself with the authorities and confine himself to less than 50lb airframes. No, he would build his own RC plane in a barn in the countryside, transport it in pieces in a closed van to a location near his target, and they take it off and fly it from some convenient large flat area.

Even better, he would simply buy an old civil-aviation airplane (an old Cessna, say), attach servos to the controls, chuck in a GPS and a couple of servos and an Arduino, load up a few hundred pounds of high explosive, and let it fly on a preset course. But it would be a slow, expensive, crude, and inaccurate weapon; a Dodge Transit Van full of explosive would be a lot more effective as an instrument of terror.
Quote:
I'm not saying I want to see restrictions, but I do believe they will be coming down on us.
Sadly, I agree with you. And this is not new; in today's big North American cities, a person usually doesn't even have the freedom to raise a chicken, dry her clothes outdoors on a clothes-line, or paint her front-door a different colour than the one approved by her housing authority. People have even gotten in legal trouble for cutting their grass too short, or too tall.

In the (circa 2000) documentary film "Genghis Blues", a group of Americans visits the Russian Republic of Tuva. At the time, Tuva was still a vast wilderness, with its people living, by and large, the same way their ancestors had lived for thousands of years.

At one point in the film, the Americans want to light a bonfire (they're out in the middle of nowhere), so they ask the locals accompanying them if they are permitted to do so. This completely confuses the Tuvans; they simply cannot understand the concept of somebody else telling you whether you can, or cannot, light a fire outdoors. How could anybody need permission to light a fire? It would be like needing permission to breathe!

We forgotten just how many of the smallest and simplest freedoms we have already lost, because it's happened slowly, over the course of the last century or so.

(Of course, I understand why we have restrictions on outdoor fires. But laws that prevent you from drying your clothes on an outdoor clothes-line, saving kilowatt-hours of electricity in the process? Really?)

-Flieslikeabeagle
Jul 10, 2020, 01:09 PM
Got shenpa?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
...cannot even determine the relative position of arse from elbow …
Thanks for making me laugh! I needed that today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Drone delivery...they will be crashing into each other, having mechanical failures, bird strikes, and will be falling on the population causing damage possibly killing people…
I have been thinking exactly the same thing for years. The idea is utter stupidity.

So is starting a colony on Mars, and that form of utter stupidity is also getting lots of traction.

This sort of thing really makes me wonder. Have we become so lost in our touch-screens and social networks that we no longer remember what gravity is, or that we cannot survive on any planet other than earth?

With all the care that big powerful governments can take, our few hand-picked astronauts still die at an extraordinarily high rate (about 20% of all astronauts have died in space or attempting to get there, if I recall correctly). What sort of childish world-view does it take to believe that tens, hundreds, thousands of humans are going to survive on the deadly surface of Mars?

There is a psychological condition called arrested development, in which a person's physical body matures to adulthood in the normal way, but his/her mental growth remains stunted, usually frozen somewhere in childhood. Living in large colonies on Mars with mommy and daddy is a perfectly reasonable belief for a normal five to seven year old child. But when people in adult bodies start believing the same thing, I have to wonder if they are suffering from arrested development, minds still stuck in childhood?

-Flieslikeabeagle
Jul 10, 2020, 02:13 PM
I am in flieslikeabeagle's shoes(I actually remembered this nickname and picture) here. I am also planning to return 10 years later to the hobby and while browsing came to this thread.

So if I pay the $5 fee, register for hobby purposes and put the number on the model is there still a problem?

250g is too restricting for flying outdoors and I was also designing my models to weight around 1lbs.
Jul 10, 2020, 04:59 PM
flyin' fool
I've got a 2.5 ounce RTF Ultrix that I fly when all the big boys are grounded because of the wind. Same thing for all my models.
Jul 10, 2020, 06:28 PM
Got shenpa?
Quote:
I've got a 2.5 ounce RTF Ultrix that I fly when all the big boys are grounded because of the wind. Same thing for all my models.
Impressive for a small model! Many of them blow away like thistledown in the wind, though.

I'm starting to remember a couple of other small models I had once, a long time ago. One was a little mini EPP wing; I built it very light with no covering on the foam, 4.7 gram servos, a tiny receiver, and a GWS IPS geared brushed motor spinning a relatively large prop (for a wing) at relatively low rpm.

Instead of screaming around like a flying dentist's drill, this flew around like a parkflyer with a muted purr. It had unlimited vertical (with a brushed motor!) and would handle some wind. But I really missed having proper 4-channel control; without fuselage side area or a rudder, you can't even do a proper slow-roll with a wing! So I got bored with it quickly.

Later I had a moulded Depron full-fuselage model that I got down to some 10 ounces, I think (my memory isn't great). It was an ARF, but I've forgotten the manufacturer and model name. It was sold as a 3D model, but it did wonderful precision aerobatics, and could handle a little wind, too.

So I have some learning and re-learning to do. If I can find a way to build affordable (for me, on a tight budget) 4-channel aerobatic models down to 250 grams / 8.8 oz that can handle a little wind, I'll be a happy camper.

Over the last week or so, I've cut out a wing (30-inch wingspan) and tail-feathers from peeled Elmer's foam board, built a simple hot-wire cutter, and cut a crude fuselage out of 1 1/2" thick EPS foam. Yesterday I put the bare foam bits on a digital scale, and it came in just a hair under 50 grams. But can I keep it below 250 grams with all the gear installed? I'm not sure yet.

I'm still trying to figure out build techniques, too. I'm not sure the solid EPS fuselage will be the final solution, unless I want to get ugly and mount all the gear hanging outside in plain sight.

If I indulge in a little nostalgia, I used to have a modded Multiplex Magister, which I bought for $99 USD when Hobby People blew out these old (brushed motor, brick-heavy NiCd pack) ARTF models on clearance sale. With a 4S lipo pack, cheap United Hobbies brushless outrunner, and 2.4 GHz Spektrum receiver, that was my favourite windy-day plane. About 4 lbs / 1800 grams, with a full 64 inch/1.6 metre wingspan.

I used to fly the Maggie at the AMA club field on windy days when all the other guys didn't dare pull their precious, beautiful but delicate, balsa-and-MoneyCote models out of their SUVs. The Elapor Maggie wasn't beautiful, but I wasn't scared to fly it in non-ideal conditions.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Jul 10, 2020, 06:37 PM
Got shenpa?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLabel
I am in flieslikeabeagle's shoes(I actually remembered this nickname and picture) here. I am also planning to return 10 years later to the hobby
We should get together, we can be the blind leading the blind!

My wife found the original photo that she then Photoshopped slightly to make it into my RCG avatar. That little photo of the flying beagle has attracted far more attention and caused far more smiles here than anything I could ever do myself.

-Gnobuddy

Quick Reply