Jul 06, 2020, 05:00 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
That sounds reasonable … All else “governmental” seems fatuous… Perhaps a more considerate gov. will be installed soon … We can only hope … Otherwise this RC Hobby is DEAD !!! Relegated to Foamie rubber powered free flights …
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2020, 12:29 PM
Retired CAD guy
I believe that
IF we can actually Drain the Swamp
THEN we might be able to get our thoughts heard by folks who care about this country.

City Folks will never care or understand RC nuances.
They don't have access to, or knowledge of, RC plane sized fields.

From very recent experience it also appears that City Governments are NOT
interested in Listening to anything but their own authoritarian voices.
Jul 06, 2020, 12:35 PM
flyin' fool
The C-19 may drain the swamp for you. That's if it doesn't just disappear first.
Jul 06, 2020, 06:46 PM
Retired CAD guy
You may not have heard but most of those WHIMPIE [email protected]$$____ds
have all stayed HOME for MONTHS NOW ... nobody is IN the HOUSE !

Although the Senate seems to be plenty OK with convening regularly !
Jul 07, 2020, 05:47 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
It’s Not Model plane fliers that are the problem … !!!
Jul 09, 2020, 05:39 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Hold on , a reader mentioned “glider season “ … Are non-powered gliders exempt from the silly 250gr. rule ???
Jul 09, 2020, 08:37 AM
treefinder
Doubt it, no mention of exceptions in any of the stuff I have read. everything that is an unmanned aerial device gets lumped into "drones" catagory. Motor or not.
Jul 09, 2020, 09:45 AM
Retired CAD guy
Lets face it we ALL HAVE CELL PHONES.
Moms & Dads, Gramps & Grammas, Kids.

WHY would we need YET ANOTHER Location finding device.
We all have a cell phone with us continuously all day long.

So, can we PLEASE just CONCLUDE that our Cell phones
ARE the equivalent of Transponders or Friend or Foe devices.
We simply Hit a button on an App that says we are flying.
DONE !

There does NOT seem to be a need to know the absolute position of the model
as long as we are Flying Line Of Sight. RIGHT ? !

ALL other types of Long Distance, UAV style flying can and should be covered by the FAA rules.

ANYTHING ELSE is a Waste of time and money.

But what if there's no cell service ?
then WHO CARES !
Why would anyone care ?
There's no one there to care !

The Cell phone has all the info that "they" will EVER need.

Any other mechanism would simply be redundant, and waste of time and money .

Registration and tail numbers and costs are a FOLLY.

Go ahead and let "THEM" set up a database and continental MAP .
A call in would then result in a small hemisphere of ~ 1200' diameter which would be visible on the MAP.
If anyone cared to look at it, that MAP ( think Google Earth)
would show ALL the locations of all the "drones" flying at PARKS, CLUB FIELDS and PRIVATE FIELDS.

Given the size of CONUS there would simply be a few pin pricks distributed across the nation.
EVERYTHING ELSE would be OK for the Commercial operators !

The UAV and Commercial users could then use that REAL TIME info to AVOID THOSE AREAS in their navigation schemes.

This is NOT Rocket Science !

WAKE UP AMA and FAA and smell the 21st century !!!
Last edited by birdofplay; Jul 09, 2020 at 10:10 AM.
Jul 09, 2020, 10:42 AM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
I will always do what I have done all of my life and go out into the desert by myself or with friends and fly all day long and as high as we want.
And, If I let go of my controls on my TX for almost all of my planes and helicopters they will crash.
If I let go of the controls on my TX for my cheap drones they will stay in the air until I hit a button to have it return home where it took off, and I don't even have to control it just sit and watch it while I crack a beer.
There is a MAJOR difference between drones (quadcopters, etc.) and my planes and helicopters which have zero brains to fly themselves.
Maybe a demonstration for the government on the differences between the "drones" and "model aircraft" with crashes versus control.
So, if y'all are traveling into the northwestern part of Nevada with "model aircraft" shoot me a message and we will be bandits together...with masks on of course.
The world has gone crazy, stay safe
Jul 09, 2020, 11:49 AM
(Ò¿Ó¬)
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay

We all have a cell phone with us continuously all day long.

So, can we PLEASE just CONCLUDE that our Cell phones
ARE the equivalent of Transponders or Friend or Foe devices.
We simply Hit a button on an App that says we are flying.
DONE !

ALL other types of Long Distance, UAV style flying can and should be covered by the FAA rules.

ANYTHING ELSE is a Waste of time and money.

But what if there's no cell service ?
then WHO CARES !
Why would anyone care ?
There's no one there to care !

The Cell phone has all the info that "they" will EVER need.

Any other mechanism would simply be redundant, and waste of time and money .

Registration and tail numbers and costs are a FOLLY.

Go ahead and let "THEM" set up a database and continental MAP .
A call in would then result in a small hemisphere of ~ 1200' diameter which would be visible on the MAP.
If anyone cared to look at it, that MAP ( think Google Earth)
would show ALL the locations of all the "drones" flying at PARKS, CLUB FIELDS and PRIVATE FIELDS.

Given the size of CONUS there would simply be a few pin pricks distributed across the nation.
EVERYTHING ELSE would be OK for the Commercial operators !

The UAV and Commercial users could then use that REAL TIME info to AVOID THOSE AREAS in their navigation schemes.

This is NOT Rocket Science !

WAKE UP AMA and FAA and smell the 21st century !!!
Agreed on all parts. If this overreach is actually put to use, they might as well make it compatible with existing craft by putting it on your freaking mobile device...

other possibility is that the next administration upholds that it's unconstitutional (again)
Jul 09, 2020, 01:58 PM
Got shenpa?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
...Otherwise this RC Hobby is DEAD !!!
Glad to see you're still active in the hobby, GPW! Thanks again for helping me get started back in 2004! It's nice to see you're still posting on RCG, though I wish it was in happier circumstances.

I've been gone from the hobby for some twelve years now, for a variety of personal and external reasons. Months of trying to adjust to our new lonely pandemic-battered world got me thinking about RC flying again. And when I start to look around to see what's changed and what's new, I find utter insanity crept in while I was gone. Everything that flies is now a "drone"? All drones must carry electronic ID? What the happened, and why did so many lawmakers brains fall collectively out of their empty heads???

By 2002, I could already foresee nightmarish-crazy-ugly-stupid politics coming to the USA. So I worked hard to find an escape route for myself and my wife, and we left the USA for good several years ago, moving to Canada, and starting over from scratch. When it comes to drones, though, Canada has adopted the same ridiculous "everything is a drone, and everything over 250 grams is dangerous and therefore regulated" policy. This might be appropriate in crowded downtown Vancouver and in controlled airspace near airports, but it makes no sense at all in most of Canada, with its low population density and big open spaces.

MAAC, Canada's equivalent to the US AMA, has obtained a collective special exemption from Transport Canada; as I understand it, if you're a MAAC member flying off their model airfields and obeying various restrictions, you can fly models bigger than 250 grams, without the added nonsense of individual pilots having to register the government. No idiotic electronic ID required on every model, either.

None of this helps me much, though, because for a variety of reasons I'm not too excited about joining MAAC. Paying hefty annual dues, attending club meetings, having to drive to faraway approved club fields, dealing with club politics, waiting your turn to fly on weekends - it's all feels too much like work, and too little like fun. By contrast, there are a few small city parks within a few minutes of my home, and it would be a joy to fly there. But then the stupid 250-gram limit kicks in.

(500 grams would have been so much better - that's a bit over 1 lb, and a lot of fun RC planes come in under that. But 250 grams is so very, very limiting. )

Of the dozens of RC planes I built while active in the hobby, I think only one made it under 250 grams. That was a little Multiplex Stuntman, already obsolete in 2004; a little moulded Depron eggshell that I modified heavily to make it a true 4-channel aerobatic sport plane. I built it with four 4.7 gram servos, a little CDROM brushless motor, and a tiny lipo pack and electronics. It was very aerobatic and fun to fly, but so small...how sad to be forced by idiot politicians to fly nothing bigger?

GPW is right, this stupidity will kill the RC aeroplane hobby. It was dying already before foamy parkflyers came along and gave it a new breath of life in the mid 2000s. With these new intrusive and scary laws, and the absurd limits on tiny little models, I can't really see young people wanting to get involved.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Jul 09, 2020, 02:12 PM
Got shenpa?
Quote:
Ahem - I don't have a cell-phone. I'm in the minority, but I'm quite sure I'm not the only one.

I had a cellphone for years, from around 1997 through 2013. By they they had morphed from communication devices to electronic dog-collars that we hung around our own necks so that politicians, corporations, hackers, foreign governments, law enforcement, and just about every other Tom, Dick, and Harry could track our every movement and every activity.

So I decided I'd had enough; Somehow I managed to live the first couple of decades of my life without a cellphone, so I could certainly live out the last few without one, thank you very much.
Quote:
<snip>
To understand the actions of psychotic morons in positions of power, you have to think like them...first, drool a little, and let your IQ sink by twenty points; then channel the nastiest and most suspicious junkyard dog you ever saw, and start believing that every RC pilot is really a terrorist, he just hasn't been caught yet.

Did you get your there? You now feel stupid, suspicious, mean, hostile, and poweful? Okay, now you can see that every flying object that weighs more than a table-tennis ball needs to have its own electronic beacon, so that you can track it as it commits an act of terrorism, so you can find the person flying it, torture him, lock him up for good, maybe take away his children and throw them into little dog-cages for fun while you're at it.

See? That wasn't hard, was it?

This set of laws isn't about rationality. This sort of punitive, stupid law comes from people who have low IQs, and who believe everybody (except themselves) is evil.

-Gnobuddy
Jul 09, 2020, 06:15 PM
Retired CAD guy
When I lived the NW USA I used to attend Aero Tow events at the Sod farm near Abbotsford.
Crossing over at SUMAS then on to Mission and out 7 to beyond Hazlic.

I suppose they 've cancelled their events these days.

regardless, it was Grand country and scenery !

My Tirade was to point out the futility and expense of attempting to recreate that "tracking Device" specifically for model planes.
Jul 10, 2020, 02:35 AM
flyin' fool
The border is closed to all Americans except for essential travel. Those saying they are just passing through on the way to Alaska and doing the tourist thing here in BC are getting busted. I'm here on Vancouver Island, so it's hard to board a ferry with US licence plates.

With all the restrictions on Americans everywhere in the world, might as well stay home and spend those holiday dollars on the hobby.
Last edited by goldguy; Jul 10, 2020 at 03:19 AM.
Jul 10, 2020, 03:02 AM
flyin' fool
Gnobuddy:

There's lots of great designs in all flavors of model aircraft under 250 grams/8.8 ounces. That's all I fly now after over 5 decades in RC. I no longer belong to clubs or MAAC, as all that toy airplane politics ruined the fun. I'm now liberated from everything but having fun when it comes to the hobby.

The thing is, in my group we have six flying sites (yes SIX, plus a few parks) one for float flying and one is an indoor venue. Most sites are electron powered, have no size limitations and are active all year long because we have less rain then you get the mainland. Check around over there, your sure to find some like minded flyers. Or.............. move here!!

Frank
Last edited by goldguy; Jul 10, 2020 at 03:22 AM.

Quick Reply