Jun 09, 2020, 04:15 PM
Well my AMA renewal application came in the mail yesterday. I "had" my grandfathers number after he passed away. The number was 250. So 250 went into the garbage. Tomorrow I will be posting no trespassing signs on my property. Thursday is flying day on my property and my neighbor even comes over with a couple beers for himself and watches me fly. So how kool is that.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2020, 06:38 PM
Retired CAD guy
I LIKE IT !

And I was born in Carnegie.

But, this is in Indiana
(4 min 4 sec)

5 acres plus Great neighbors also with 5 acres
and another with a Pond and flys RC also.
Jun 19, 2020, 03:28 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
Time to send more money ….
“ Recreational Flyer Registration Renewals
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has important registration information for drone recreational flyers whose registration was automatically extended until December 12, 2020.

Your registration expires in 180 days and you can now renew it in your FAADroneZone dashboard:

Drone Registration Dashboard
Once you click ‘renew’ the process is the same as when you initially registered.
Once you have renewed, to print an updated registration card: Login to the FAADroneZone, select the Recreational Flyer Dashboard and select Print.
How much does it cost to renew a registration?
$5 through the FAADroneZone.

Why Was My Registration Extended?
The National Defense Authorization Act for 2018 restored the FAA’s registration rule with respect to model aircraft and recreational flying. If you registered prior to December 12, 2017 and did not request to have your registration information deleted, the FAA extended the expiration date until December 12, 2020, which is three years from the rule restoration date. If you requested a refund of registration fees, you would have had to re-register again after December 12, 2017. Therefore, your expiration date would now also be December 12, 2020, or later. At this time you can retain your registration number.

Questions? Contact [email protected]
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jun 19, 2020, 05:07 PM
Retired CAD guy
What did I get for registering the 1st time ! ?

Did they listen to or give any consideration to MY position and feelings and Hobby ?

So it'll cost me another $5 for a continuation of NOTHING ! WHAT A PRIVILEGE AND HONOR !

Ohhh gosh oh gee ... I really really want to retain my registration number !
Like it's some kind of Status Symbol like a 4 DIGIT AMA # ... NOT !

Ya know ... There's a bridge just down the road,
I can go over there and toss as much money desire into the creek ANY TIME I WANT !

And get just as much benefit !
Jun 20, 2020, 04:38 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Dare I say this , let’s hope a new Administration will come to their senses … ???
Jun 20, 2020, 07:33 AM
treefinder
Bob said: "What did I get for registering the 1st time ! ?"

You got the "privelige" of printing out your very own registration number on your very own printer and paper using your very own electricity! What more could you ask of your government???

I also saw the email yesterday, and first thing I noticed was the word "drone" and multicopter graphic prominently displayed and was tempted (in a nihilistic moment) to send back a message that " this obviously doesn't apply to me, as I don't fly those boring toys!" Ah, well. . .
Jun 20, 2020, 11:53 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Guys , we need to make the FAA differentiate between Model aircraft ( that actually require skill to build and fly ) , and “those boring toys “, piloted by idiots ..
I’ve seen it several times , new drone owners , first thing is “speck them out” , and we’re close to a JAN military base , and we NEVER fly our model aircraft over a couple hundred feet … even gliders … The Navy even sent out a few guys to check on us from time to time …. Never a problem …

No Skill, No training … Those toys have ruined everything , and I’m NOT with them at all … JMHO FWIW
Last edited by gpw; Jun 20, 2020 at 11:59 AM.
Jun 20, 2020, 04:11 PM
flyin' fool
And ............... if you approach them (even here on RCG) regarding the rules/laws so they don't get into trouble, they get all upset, defensive and nasty.

Oh well, even model airplane guys get a little testy at times when you point out that in your group your the only one legal.

Being the only '8.8 and under' flyer in a total of about 25 guys will get a little lonely when they all get busted.
Last edited by goldguy; Jun 21, 2020 at 09:38 AM.
Jun 23, 2020, 04:38 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
I assume (?) we’re all about to become Ultra Light Foamie Experts … or Outlaws … ( we have masks )

I wonder what the punishment will be for flying planes heaver than the 250gr. Fines ? Will the Federal Prisons be full of curmudgeonly old RC Modelers … ??? The gibbet for glider flying ? This is all Ridiculous !!! And likely the toy drone fliers will continue do as they wish , only exacerbating the problem … grrrrr !!!

Where is the AMA for all this ??? This is one time the new Laws will Not make them a fortune …
Jun 26, 2020, 10:03 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
I had to join the AMA for motorcycles in order to race in 1973.
They did nothing for me as I did not ride on the road, just dirt sickles.

I had to join the AMA for RC models in 2003 to fly at a RC field by my house.
They never did anything for me as, well, they just never did anything for me and their S-L-O-W transfer from print to digital was pathetic.
Just like my local RC club, the AMA HQ is too saturated by old fuggers that don't get it. They just want to start their glow and gas engines and make noise and sit around doing nothing.
Samo-samo.
I am considering buying some land in Missouri so I can get off the grid and fly or ride whatever and whenever I want.

Depressed in Arizona,
Rick

gpw, long time no see (due to me not being here much) Loved your plane designs from the past
Jun 26, 2020, 11:03 AM
Retired CAD guy
Have they thrown you off that grassy collection pit behind the Pharmacy ?

that was actually a pretty fun place to fly as you could fly below your standing position.
Jun 30, 2020, 05:59 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Todays FAA news :

“ What’s now and what’s next on drone technology?
Find out at the FAA UAS Symposium
Are you in the drone business or simply have a passion for flying drones? The 5th Annual FAA UAS Symposium is coming to you this summer through two remote episodes: July 8-9 and August 18-19. We want to connect with YOU on the critical technology challenges and innovative solutions that are advancing safe drone integration.

Engage with FAA, business and other global technology leaders during presentations, breakouts and virtual networking to help shape the future of UAS integration.

FAA UAS Symposium – Episode I
July 8-9, 2020

Don’t miss discussions on: Global collaboration, airspace integration, Unmanned Traffic Management (UTM), STEM, UAS type certification and operational approvals, LAANC, analytics and Artificial Intelligence and DroneZone updates.

FAA UAS Symposium – Episode II
August 18-19, 2020

Be part of the latest conversations on: Drone Integration Pilot Program (IPP), TFRs and assistance for public safety, emergency operations, airport UAS detection and response plans, authorizations and waivers, handling drone complaints, real world operations and accident investigations.

More highlights:

Drones are here for good. Explore the positive uses of drones from public safety to infrastructure and package delivery.
Connect with the drone community and network online with your peers from around the world.
Learn about drone businesses and discover success stories.
Safety propels innovation. Learn how safety concerns generate new UAS capabilities.
Get your questions answered by the experts at our virtual FAA UAS Support Center and during the how-to sessions!
Register today. Follow us on social media for the latest drone news. We hope you will join us this summer! “

No mention of model aircraft … “Drones are here for good.” Looks like the drone lobby is investing a lot for influence , the model aircraft lobby ( nonexistant ) …
Jun 30, 2020, 01:36 PM
Retired CAD guy
Looks like they are attempting to COLLECT Names an numbers of unwitting droners !

then again I presume that AMA shared all of OUR info with the FAA too.

How about something as simple as a device that emits a location signal when turned on by
the current Pilot on the line ?

Why does every aircraft from the same particular filed need to be ID'd ?
a Field ID / transponder/ FoF, tx is all that is necessary.
Buy, one, get a registered ID number with your field Lat Lon and then just leave us alone !!!

It could be something as simple as and old , cheap, dumb , Cell phone.

Sorry, LD- FPV guys ...
you can fight your own battles if LOS FPV is not good enough at a local club field.
Jul 05, 2020, 02:09 PM
flyin' fool
The local guys got fed up with all the many rules, so started a new 'one rule club'. Pass the 'ground school' test and your in.
Last edited by goldguy; Jul 05, 2020 at 02:18 PM.
Jul 05, 2020, 02:12 PM
flyin' fool
Which is ..................... you must take off, crash your model into the ground and congratulations, your a member of the Flight Club.

Quick Reply