May 09, 2020, 11:25 AM
flyin' fool
Right. Because he's the smartest man he knows.
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2020, 03:49 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
You know it’s we “Old Timers” who have a lot to lose … personally I’ve invested in this hobby for 50 years now , and that’s a Lot to just become useless !!!

Seems we need somebody SMART to get us out of this !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
May 10, 2020, 05:32 PM
High Altitude Flyer

Great flying aircraft flying at under 8.8 ounces

I got to wondering....

What If they leave alone the miniature aircraft under 8.8 ounces?

What does that leave me for designs I already have in the hanger which I could still "legally" fly?

I ran through my own website checking aircraft flying weights & quickly came up with 16 that are under that magic weight limit without changing to lighter gear; all of them are still airworthy.

Many of GPW's designs certainly add greatly to the "light enough flyer" designs.

VIKING
May 10, 2020, 07:18 PM
I'm not adding any unnecessary tracking gizmo to my planes. I'm just going to keep park and empty field flying like I always have. I'm not near an airport or anything "important." I strictly fly foam electrics and I don't fly too loud, fast, far or big. I don't bother anyone and no one's ever bothered me about flying in all the years I've been doing it. I don't expect that will change. Technically, flying in the parks and fields where I've been flying for years has always been illegal, although the police apparently don't know it and neither does anyone else. Cops stop by from time to time when I'm flying to chat about my planes or to take a selfie in the car I'm driving that day. I only know it's illegal because I was curious and had my lawyers look it up.

Out here in the sleepy suburbs, law enforcement doesn't hassle you unless you're creating a problem. If that changes and I can't talk my way out of it, I've got the money to pay their fines and a law firm on retainer that doesn't do enough to earn their keep as it is. Also, cops don't usually carry a scale around capable of determining if a plane is 8.8 ounces or 11 ounces.

So... while I resent the unnecessary stupidity of these new rules, and I protested them to the FAA and my representatives in writing, these rules aren't going to change anything for me because I'm just not going to comply. For those of you who might be similarly situated, are you actually going to stop flying (or start buying and strapping unnecessary crap to your plane) just because some agency in Washington made a ruling? If you're definitely not bothering anyone and your context is clearly irrelevant to whatever the law might have been targeting, it seems almost unamerican to comply with it.
Last edited by Markran; May 10, 2020 at 07:53 PM.
May 10, 2020, 10:42 PM
Flying RC Models for 60 years.
Markran I agree with you 100%! I'm 66 years old, I got my first Control Line Model at 6 years old! And I've had the Fever ever since!
I love the smaller RC Models and I do own several in the 50" to 60" wingspan! But my Heart is in the smaller RC Models! Like the new UMX Ultrix!
I fly with two Buddies on occasion at a Park! Lots of people walk by and they never say a word are pay us any attention! Most of my flying is done in
my yard! I live way back off the road. My neighbors don't even know that I fly just about every day here at Home! Taking my RC Models is like taking
my Gun's! Ain't gonna happen! I WILL NOT COMPLY

Bobby

O, I'm done with the AMA
May 11, 2020, 05:41 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
JMHO, this is RIDICULOUS !!! Just another governmental knee-jerk reaction to a-hole drone fliers violating airspace. It’s like the Gun laws , only the criminals will have guns , and they’re Not registered, tracked, monitored , etc. etc.
A Stupid move by FAA , that makes the Many suffer for the few …

Another point , the current administration doesn’t know arse from elbow , and how can they track anything ???… They appear to be unable to track anything else … meaningful .

One can only wonder what’s next ? Banning guillows rubber band planes ???

Bureaucrats are Never satisfied till everyone is under their thumb … Time to revolt … !!! 

Let’s march on Washington , holding our Model planes like the rednecks hold their assault rifles…. That Might get their attention !!!
May 11, 2020, 09:16 AM
flyin' fool
Well, that made me chuckle.

Now that I got that out of the way I'm off to our illegal Monday float flying session.

Some label me as a non-conformist, but in reality I'm 77 years old, been a modeler for at least a century and don't give a crap.
May 11, 2020, 12:12 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
You know it’s we “Old Timers” who have a lot to lose … personally I’ve invested in this hobby for 50 years now , and that’s a Lot to just become useless !!!

Seems we need somebody SMART to get us out of this !!!
Actually, it's just the 'serious' who have a lot to lose. People who have big expensive planes that have to use AMA fields and follow all the rules.

No bureaucrat is going to stop me from flying my 3Ds and park fliers wherever I want. Worst that I expect to ever happen is some cop will cruise up and tell me to knock it off.

Just don't do anything obviously stupid like flying around crowds and such, and none of this BS is going to come to much for most of us.
May 12, 2020, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
Actually, it's just the 'serious' who have a lot to lose. People who have big expensive planes that have to use AMA fields and follow all the rules.

No bureaucrat is going to stop me from flying my 3Ds and park fliers wherever I want. Worst that I expect to ever happen is some cop will cruise up and tell me to knock it off.

Just don't do anything obviously stupid like flying around crowds and such, and none of this BS is going to come to much for most of us.
Yeppers. I'm gonna find me a nice little open field somewhere and 3D till I'm blue in the face. I can't 3D but I'll figure it out. As soon as hobby lobby opens up I'm gonna go buy a bunch foam board and make flat foamies. If they seem a little heavy just add a little more power.
May 12, 2020, 06:01 PM
Retired CAD guy
If I may recommend some one who IS OPEN

Model Airplane Foam
http://www.modelplanefoam.com/

It's American Made in Michigan.
And ... It filled empty space when Depron SNUCK OUTA TOWN !

Nuf said !

Bob @ Hoosier Cutout Service
May 13, 2020, 01:36 AM
jclassic1
It seems strange to me that a country like the USA can allow people to own guns but seem to feel that flying rc aircraft is more dangerous.
Here in the UK we have had a few incidents concerning people flying quadcopters(drones)close to or into the airspace at airports which I think has prompted the government to put some restrictions on their use.I think these are about the size and weight plus the height they can operate at and the distance from any commercial airports.
I have never been a member of a flying club as I like to fly alone or maybe sometimes with my son and my models are foam and weigh next to nothing.
These to me are rc toys which are freely available to buy if you are not into building your own so any restrictions placed on them would not be welcomed by the British public.
Surely the USA government have more important things to do instead of restricting the enjoyment of american flyers.

John
May 13, 2020, 02:27 PM
flyin' fool
John:

This is happening around the globe, not just in the USA. At one time NZ was proposing a tax on your air time when flying a model.

There's morons in high places everywhere!

Cheers: Free Flyin' Frank
May 14, 2020, 06:01 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
It’s just the collective Kindergarten mentality . A few people screw up , everybody gets punished … RIDICULOUS !!!! What we’re seeing is not Leadership , merely “ herding” …
Jun 07, 2020, 05:38 PM
Are they just targeting the RC Aircraft world?
Jun 08, 2020, 05:25 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
P3, They’re classifying us as Drones … grrr!!! Maybe we can reclassify ourselves as “ Aircraft manufacturers “ , and we can qualify for a “Bailout" …

Quick Reply