RCGroups.com - The "Plus Account a Day" Contest!

Enter to win a Plus Account. I will pick a winner each day until the contest ends.

Splash

Win a Plus Account!

Today while I was making coffee I was thinking about what I could do that would fun for our RCG family of users. I'm happy to report I had an idea I think you are going to like! I'll give you more info on our Plus Account below. It's a $49.95 value and I think you will like it!

What - Enter each day for a chance to win a 12 month Plus account!

How - Make a post in this thread about what you are currently flying, or hoping to fly soon.

Win - Each day I will pick a winner and that person will get a free Plus account.

Do You Know About Our Plus Account?

Get the most out of RCGroups with a Plus Membership. You'll get added features and benefits and on top of that, you'll be supporting your favorite R/C site. You'll be able to talk with others in the RCG Plus members only forum and be recognized with the upgraded skin on all your posts, not to mention an increase in your mailbox size from 200 to 2000 messages. Here's a full list of all the benefits of Plus.

• Read and post items in the RCGroups Plus forum.
  • Receive an upgraded skin and supporter badge on all your postings.
  • Increased space in your private mailbox (up to 2000 messages).
  • Link to your most recent blog entry at the bottom of all of your posts.
  • Highlighted blog posts.
  • More prominent classified ads.
  • Remove external (Google) advertisements.
  • Shorter waiting periods between posts and searches.
  • Prominent member search listing.
  • Increased saved-search capacity from 3 to 100.

Learn More!

You can learn more about the contest here.

May 06, 2020, 10:15 AM
Arrowhead
Our season is just starting, so most of my planes are currently still in the hangar.

My current flyers are my PZ Wildcat, a GP Revolver and an E-Flite T-34 Mentor.

In addition to the rest of my fleet, I’m hoping to soon fly my VQ Aichi Val!
May 06, 2020, 10:19 AM

Notes on the BG Dancing Wing Extra 330

I keep notes on each plane kit I build. First flight was yesterday. Here's my thoughts on the DW Extra 330:

This is an RC model kit of the high performance Extra 330 competition stunt plane. It's constructed mostly of balsa and plywood, a little carbon fiber, simple hardware then covered with polyester film. It uses laser-cut interlocking structures to build the airframe. It's a basic economy kit and it's a bit of a challenge.

The instruction manual is a sheet of assembly photos with a minimum of poorly translated text. You must be familiar with open-framework balsa/plywood construction techniques, able to work with a lack of details and fix some errors. You've got to know the best gluing techniques and determine left-right orientation of many assemblies. The radio, power system installation, hinging technique and covering process are all up to you.

The laser cutting does not go through in many places. The parts fit is generally OK but inconsistent. The canopy sides are very thin. The fiberglass cowl is strong and heavy. The main gear legs and mounts are light. The tail wheel assembly is big and heavy. Published flying weight is 28oz. Try to beat that by an ounce or two with careful building (more plywood is used than necessary). There is plenty of room for the radio and battery. If you're willing to work to improve quality, and save weight, this will be be a nice little plane.

It flys great, taking off and climbing out (with a roll) at ⅔ throttle. It cruises comfortably at ½ throttle and hovers at ¾ throttle. It is smooth and steady whether level, climbing, diving, upright or inverted, and at any airspeed above a stall. Interactions between the pitch, roll and yaw axis are minimal. Full throttle vertical climbs are unlimited with a fresh 3S-1600mAh battery. High control rates produce impressive aerobatics especially along the roll axis. With a slightly rearward C-G, snap rolls, spins and inverted maneuvers are good .

The relatively sharp leading edge makes snapping maneuvers crisp. It responds well at lower speed and has a smooth, straight-ahead stall. But with a 15oz/ft² wing loading, it does not float along, power off, at a very low speed without stalling. Landing approaches are best with the nose level and just a bit of power. Then throttle down and flair slowly and gently. The main gear legs and mount are not robust, it is for smooth runways only.

Building tips:
When assembling laminated parts, be sure of the correct orientation.
Sand the laser cut burned edges to minimize "show-through" after covering.
Add shims to fill the gaps of ill-fitting assembly joints.
Remove positive wing incidence by moving the rear rotation lock holes up 3/32"
The provided hinges are stiff, substitute Dubro or similar.
The supplied pushrod adapters bind on the servo arms, substitute Dubro adapters.
Join elevator halves and cut access slot so elevators can be installed in one piece.
The canopy must lock securely, otherwise it will blow off with any aggressive maneuver.
Use both glue and screws to anchor gear legs to mounting structure that has been reinforced.
Remove 3/4" from the rear of the cowling for better fit with 28X36mm, 320 watt motor.
Use washers under the motor mount to obtain 2.5⁰ right thrust.

This build:
Span: 40”
Length: 35.5”
Wing Area: 280 in²
Flying Weight: 29.5oz
Wing Loading: 15oz/ft² (10.7 oz/ft³)
Motor: Turnigy 28X36, (1120KV) = 320 Watt
Prop: APC 10X5" E = 40oz static thrust
Power Loading: 220W/lb
Servos: Generic 10gr.
Battery: NanoTech 3S-1600mAh, 25-50C

Compared to laser-cut Stevens Aero high performance plane kits, there is big difference in quality and airframe design with this kit. The Stevens kits are twice as expensive with likewise higher quality. Taken by itself, the DW Extra 330 can be considered an average kit and should be considered by an experienced builder and pilot. It will just be a bit of a let-down after working with one of the state-of-the-art kits.

This kit can be assembled successfully, but the lack of detailed instructions make it more difficult than expected. Without full size plans, there is no definition of thrust angles, wing alignment or control throws. Few of the sub-assemblies are self-aligning or have tight interlocking components. Loose fitting parts allow some assembled structures to vary in shape. The chance of building components that are misaligned, warped or twisted is high, even for an experienced builder.

Even if built light, this plane will have a 14oz/ft² wing loading. This is a little higher than expected, but it does not affect its performance greatly. A similar high performance plane should have 9 - 10oz/ft².

The price was inviting. But this plane is not well refined or optimized for ease of construction. My recommendation is to increase the wing area by 10%. Reduce structure weight by 10%. Select a lighter cowl, sturdier canopy and main gear. Substitute cross-grain balsa for plywood in many locations. The quality of balsawood is good and much of the included hardware is OK. Even at ½ the price of similar kits, this plane is not an easy project even for the experience builder. However, it could be considered a good starting point for a scratch builder to customize.

Photo from before first flight, with masking tape to fill wing gaps.
Last edited by SplashCrash; May 06, 2020 at 07:10 PM.
May 06, 2020, 10:39 AM
Bill Scott
working on a Kostez aerobatic glider and refurb of a "crashed" Rosenthal 5m ASW28
May 06, 2020, 02:39 PM

contest entry

Just finished GP Pitts. Just waiting to recover from eye surgery and good weather.
May 06, 2020, 02:45 PM
Design Engineer
I am between planes at the moment. The most recent is a FT Simple Cub that needs the nose fixed up. But on the bench I have a few awesome projects. A Phase 2 EF-16, a CNC machine for cutting out FT plans, a few Guillows stick and tissue kits, and a flying wing kit on its way. Lots of awesome coming!
May 06, 2020, 03:43 PM
If it flies I like it.

Vintage R/O Model

I just completed the build of a vintage 1961 RC model called Half Tone, designed by Dave Platt. It's a rudder only controlled model. The original used a Cox Baby Bee .049; mine is electric powered so it will also have throttle control which will add to the fun. It uses pulse proportional control (galloping ghost) and uses a Tobe Kallner R/O actuator. 38" span and 14.1 ozs all-up. I'll be using my very rare vintage 1975 Orbit radio to control it. Hope to test fly soon once the C-19 dies down. My very first RC model back in 971 was pulse proportional R/O controlled - I still have that Ace R/C Pulse Commander radio and it still works.
May 06, 2020, 03:52 PM
Flying the dickens out of the EFlite Ultirx. Had a handful of flights on my Multiplex Panda with wings converted to have ailerons. Some flights on the unobtainium Pole Cat Lapdancer, UMX Timber ( original ), DLG ELF and NRJ.
May 06, 2020, 04:04 PM
What I have now, flyable:

HH UMX A-10
HH UM T-28
HH Valiant 1.3m
HH Timber 1.5m
MPX FunCub
Graupner Elektro Junior S
a small depron prop-in-slot delta wing with elevons only
HH Apprentice S
HH T-28 1.2m
Graupner UHU
HK Bixler v2
MPX Funman
Viper Hobbies Takara
MPX Funglider
Last edited by zerts2; May 06, 2020 at 04:11 PM.
May 06, 2020, 04:26 PM
Site Aspie
Hopinf to fly my 81" OV-10 Bronco soon. It's built and covered since the photo, and test assembly of the major parts and installation of electronics is about to begin.
Latest blog entry: EL-39 compilation video
May 06, 2020, 05:07 PM
My most recent maiden flights were the Arrows Hobby Bigfoot and the E-Flite Air Tractor. Both excellent flyers!

Don
Latest blog entry: Saving CA glue!
May 06, 2020, 09:33 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Current project at the top of my list is a kitbash conversion of the Freewing Lockheed T-33 into a Lockheed P-80. This involves removing the two scale "stretches" that Lockheed added to the real P-80 to create the venerable T-33, adding a new single place canopy and new tiptanks. Plus, bodywork and painting.

Callie is creating the markings for me, for a well known Korean War P-80, the "Saggin Dragon".

Markings are due here in June. Hope to to have the P-80 painted and waiting for them.

This model is part of a large project I am working towards as an homage to my employer. I am collecting or building all of the aircraft ever produced at Air Force Plant Four by Consolidated, Convair, General Dynamics and Lockheed Martin, plus as many as possible of the most iconic Lockheed aircraft aircraft produced. The P-80 is part of the second group.

The eventual first goal is to go to the field and fly 80 years of aviation history from Air Force Plant Four in one day, starting with the B-24 and ending with the F-35.

Link to my master plan:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...del-collection

I recently flew the last 46 years of that history in one day: F-16, F-22 and F-35.
Last edited by Thomas B; May 06, 2020 at 09:53 PM.
May 06, 2020, 10:19 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
I'm flying a Carbon Z Splendor.

I'm building a very old Great Planes Big Stik that I rescued from the junk pile.

And, I'm flying a resurrected Park Zone Artizan.

Tom
May 07, 2020, 12:14 AM
Just maidened this beauty. AJ Aircraft 83" ARS 300. Set up for 12s and flew great. I'll be upgrading to a larger motor and adding decals soon!
May 07, 2020, 08:23 AM
Finishing up an UltraSport 40. I sheeted the wings and fiber glassed it and will be painting it as a learning tool for a TopFlite P40. The P40 will be my first attempt at a scale plane with panel lines and rivets and who knows what else.
While the paint is drying on the UltraSport I am getting started on a Pheonix 93" Spitfire. I will be using a Rimfire 65cc Electric setup for the first time.
Excited about all the projects!

Quick Reply