May 01, 2020, 04:25 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Thread OP
Discussion

Updating an old HobbyZone Super Cub

There's only so many times you can cut the lawn, clean the house, and work on home projects. I need something FUN to do! So I went up into my "discard pile" and found these. Last summer a buddy of mine gave me (2) complete Hobbyzone Super Cubs (RET) along with a small bag filled with spare parts.

I even found a link to the original manual. https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/HBZ...ualCropped.pdf
Love that "Anti Crash Technology!"

So I'm thinking that I could drop in a brushless motor and esc, some new servos, and maybe add ailerons to it (maybe even flaps?). My goal it to make this plane into a STOL like the Timber.

The wings are solid foam and have a nice airfoil profile. But they are somewhat flexible. So if I'm going to be adding ailerons and/or flaps, I think I'll need a spar

If I'm going to update this, I need to spec out some parts. The wings is 7" deep x 48" long. The airfoil profile is pretty much a Clark Y

So let's talk about the motor. With the existing esc/rx, motor and servos, it weighs about 585g (18.8 oz). I have a similarly sized 42" high wing trainer I built that uses a 1100kv motor. So I was thinking of going with a similar sized one for this. But I'd like to hear what y'all think.

Once I have the motor, I'm going to need to design an adapter that'll allow it to interface with the existing cowl correctly.
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2020, 04:27 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Thread OP

Photos

forgot the photos
May 06, 2020, 07:49 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Thread OP

Motor adapter installed! Aileron and flap dimensions?

I got the motor adapter fabricated and installed. Since I needed 29mm long standoffs, I made them myself from 5/16" dia alum bar stock. I cut them to length, then drilled and tapped the ends using my (woodworking) lathe. Now that I know how easy it is, I'm going to be doing this more often!

Now it's time to move onto the ailerons and flaps. This wing is 48" long with a 7" chord. So I have about 17" on each side for ailerons and flaps. But I need some help on dimensions. How long and wide do I make the ailerons? And I would assume that the flaps would take up the test of the space.

Any help here?
Last edited by Blacky's Boy; May 06, 2020 at 08:11 PM.
May 07, 2020, 05:57 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Thread OP
Hello, this thing on?
May 07, 2020, 06:11 AM
Real Time Recon
Yeah its on.Here's some mods for you.E-flite brushless 480 1020 KV.Apprentice wing.Fun cub tires.1,300 3 cell li0po.AUW-33.10 ozs (including 5 oz. point & shoot camera
Last edited by realtimerecon; May 07, 2020 at 07:25 AM.
May 07, 2020, 06:46 AM
Out Standing In The Field
It might be a problem that this thread is in Foamies (scratch built), and not (kits) or "Electric Plane Talk".
I've got one of these animals I haven't flown in a while that needs some work, too.
Best of luck with your project.
May 07, 2020, 06:49 AM
Real Time Recon
Sorry,camera died,I'm back.Wing comparison pix.
May 07, 2020, 07:04 AM
Real Time Recon
The H.Z.S.C. is a great little plane ! Flew this thing for MANY years (check out original HZSC) thread on this site.Kept a flight log over the years on this plane and total flight time added up to almost 1 round trip from N.Y. to D.C.. Good luck w/it you'll love it !
May 07, 2020, 07:22 AM
Real Time Recon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
There's only so many times you can cut the lawn, clean the house, and work on home projects. I need something FUN to do! So I went up into my "discard pile" and found these. Last summer a buddy of mine gave me (2) complete Hobbyzone Super Cubs (RET) along with a small bag filled with spare parts.

I even found a link to the original manual. https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/HBZ...ualCropped.pdf
Love that "Anti Crash Technology!"

So I'm thinking that I could drop in a brushless motor and esc, some new servos, and maybe add ailerons to it (maybe even flaps?). My goal it to make this plane into a STOL like the Timber.

The wings are solid foam and have a nice airfoil profile. But they are somewhat flexible. So if I'm going to be adding ailerons and/or flaps, I think I'll need a spar

If I'm going to update this, I need to spec out some parts. The wings is 7" deep x 48" long. The airfoil profile is pretty much a Clark Y

So let's talk about the motor. With the existing esc/rx, motor and servos, it weighs about 585g (18.8 oz). I have a similarly sized 42" high wing trainer I built that uses a 1100kv motor. So I was thinking of going with a similar sized one for this. But I'd like to hear what y'all think.

Once I have the motor, I'm going to need to design an adapter that'll allow it to interface with the existing cowl correctly.
This is where you wanna be.A massive 4 part thread on the HZSC >> https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...zone+super+cub
May 07, 2020, 03:34 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Thread OP

Thanks!

thanks for the link to that massive thread! That's exactly what I need.

And BTW, I posted it here because I "know" a lot of the people here and always seem to get the best advice. With the exception of the electric glider forum(those folks have been just as nice as the ones here), I've had less than stellar experiences when attempting to get answers on some other forums here in RC Groups.
May 09, 2020, 10:46 AM
Real Time Recon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
thanks for the link to that massive thread! That's exactly what I need.

And BTW, I posted it here because I "know" a lot of the people here and always seem to get the best advice. With the exception of the electric glider forum(those folks have been just as nice as the ones here), I've had less than stellar experiences when attempting to get answers on some other forums here in RC Groups.
Did you find what you needed to know in that thread ?
May 09, 2020, 01:18 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Thread OP
Yes, that thread is a GOLD MINE of information. I've already "flattened" the wing, installed a set of CF spars, and cut out the ailerons. I'm going to install the servos and control horns today.

After that, I need to modify the battery compartment and landing gear assembly to make them more secure
May 12, 2020, 09:42 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Thread OP

Just about finished

Just about finished my "upgrades"

New motor, motor mount, etc, and rx
Upgraded (larger) main lading gear tires
Wing "unbent", cf spars added, ailerons added
New decals and pin striping cut from colored vinyl packing tape
Upgraded support structure around landing gear
Upgraded guy wire connection hardware.

I found that a 2300mah lipo fit nicely in the modified battery compartment and contributed some weight up front. I still need to add 31g of weight in order to get it to balance a tad nose heavy. I'm waiting for the adhesive backed tire weights i ordered from Amazon to show up.

That's pretty much it for now
May 21, 2020, 07:08 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Thread OP

Maidened the super cub!

The first flight of the newly rebuilt (and upgraded) super cub was such a "non event" that it's almost not worth mentioning.

I started with a 9045 slow fly prop for the maiden and it popped right up into the air. I did notice some weird rattling noise coming from the plane but I traced it down to the support "wires". They were vibrating in the wind! I know they look cool but I'm thinking of removing them. Due to the (2) CF spars I embedded in the wing they are pretty much useless. For the second flight I replaced the 9045 with a Gemfan "8x4E" prop. It was a lot more zippy.

Quick Reply