Aug 21, 2020, 09:17 AM
Keep 'em flying!
Thread OP
More progress made; I have paired up the in-board flaps with a thick <1/8in wire after cutting out a guide on each side of the fuselage (see pics). I have then glued on the cargo door to the back of the fuselage after double checking the servo's direction. I'm currently working on doing a finish and painting the canopy/battery hatch, along with sanding stuff to a smoother and more scale shape.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2020, 08:44 PM
Keep 'em flying!
Thread OP
I have sanded the cargo door to it's final shape and I then painted the canopy, although I have not painted it's "frame" yet. I have also sanded the cowls down to their final shape. It was going to be done this week, but I had my work pick up so it will probably be next week. I'm just hoping she can fly with her small, but scale ailerons.
Aug 28, 2020, 10:43 AM
Keep 'em flying!
Thread OP
Yesterday I cut out the gear covers for the Nascelles/booms along with the nose. After that I sanded everything down as best I could and also filled in the gaps with hot glue. I then put a Minwax Polyurethane (Oil-based) coat over the entire thing. Luckily for me, the Minwax though Oil-based, did not melt either types of foam I used. I am now sanding the Bronco again before I do a Modge Podge and newspaper surface over certain areas, before another sanding. After finishing that I will hook up control rods and horns, and she is ready for a Maiden flight next week!
Sep 04, 2020, 01:11 PM
Keep 'em flying!
Thread OP
I have completed the canopy's paint and I ended up changing the color simply because the light blue did not hide some of the creases and bubbles well. I thought about doing black but instead I decided navy blue as it still would give it a "glass/window" effect in a way where as black, not so much.

I then cut out, and glued on the control horns after adding a few layers of modge podge you make the surface uniform while also adding a durable finish. Hot glue sticks amazingly to foamboard, but it does not very well to foamboard covered in modge podge. So I super glued them before adding a little bit of hot glue around the edges. After that I put on the control rods, the wire I used worked well for all the control surfaces, except the elevator because of the amount of stress it endures, so I stole one from another one of my models.
Last edited by Flying Fortress.; Sep 07, 2020 at 09:11 AM.
Sep 13, 2020, 02:33 PM
Keep 'em flying!
Thread OP
I am late on posting about it, but the Bronco had her Maiden flight the early morning of Sunday, September 6th!

Much relief as the Friday before I had attempted a “hop” to make sure it was a go. Unfortunately I forgot to check the C.G. I had the battery too far forward and the elevator in what appeared to be neutral, -Which was wrong. She took of like a B-52 (rear first), and I had 50% rudder mixed with ailerons so as I tried to counter the crosswind it had yaw messing it up. She slammed into the ground with left yaw and the right gear collapsed resulting in the nose being shredded.

After fixing the landing gear and nose, I Prepared and checked C.G. for the maiden. With wind coming from the south at 3mph she blew to the right before I trimmed her out and flew her around. I left flaps down for the entire flight to keep the stall speed down since I didn’t know how slow she would go for that. The second flight I tried a stall at approximately 100ft and she still was happy, no tip stalls like most warbirds!

I have one more flight planned (5 total) to make sure there are no flaws before I paint her. For instance I had a short in a y-harness for the ailerons, so I only had one Aileron working in the middle of a flight! -She was still happy though! Please see maiden flight! I will post on painting her soon.

Maiden flight video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z6lChIu50c
Last edited by Flying Fortress.; Sep 13, 2020 at 04:32 PM.
Sep 13, 2020, 03:22 PM
Congrats FF! Looks real nice.
Sep 13, 2020, 05:48 PM
Congratulations sir!!! Looks amazing and I have no doubt about its flight capabilities.

Enjoy it!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Sep 13, 2020, 08:24 PM
Keep 'em flying!
Thread OP
I am saddened, disappointed, depressed, all of the above... I took off for the Broncos 5th flight and right after take off I climbed to 25ft, I lost connection or the receiver cut out because she banked right before nose diving 25ft near full speed and crashed, and I couldn't do a thing about it.... I am investigating what exactly happened because the receiver was far behind the battery so I have no clue what caused the loss of connection, it's a Orange RX.... It may be a while until I repair it, because the nose and fuse is obliterated, the inboard part of the wing is ripped up and falling apart, the canopy is trash, the right boom had broke off but still in good shape along with the whole tail section. I am feeling really low now, after putting blood, sweat, and tears into something, and putting 450hrs of your time you get very attached.

I appreciate all of your support, and enthusiasm for my build.... I will update when I pick back up, which may be a little while... I probably will not be monitoring this thread, so keep in mind, if you want to ask or contact me in any way... please send a private message.

Thank you
Last edited by Flying Fortress.; Sep 20, 2020 at 08:19 PM.
Sep 13, 2020, 08:30 PM
Sorry to hear that FF. Hope it will fly again soon. Good luck!

Quick Reply