Jun 11, 2020, 10:06 PM
Are those 2212? They would pull about 800g each? Any estimated AUW?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2020, 09:44 AM
Keep 'em flying!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowheretoday
Are those 2212? They would pull about 800g each? Any estimated AUW?
Yes, they are 2212, A2212/6T to be exact. They average around 800g each but when you run two motors off one battery, thrust for each motor is decreased. My measurement of the thrust also could be a little faulty because I simply put it's nose on a electric scale and put full throttle before subtracting it's weight at the time. I measured the other day with the battery and it weighed 1lb 10oz, I would estimate the AUW 2lb 2oz.
Jun 12, 2020, 11:23 AM
Your bronco looks great! Congrats
Jun 14, 2020, 07:43 PM
Keep 'em flying!
Thread OP
Thanks! I think so too, she is turning out better than I thought it would. After two days of deciding whether to build the canopy out of solid foam or foamboard, I decided to give foamboard a go since it would be out of a few pieces which would be much more forgiving than solid foam.... Turned out better than I expected, I removed one side of paper from the foamboard and shaped it using the same technique as the airfoil giving a nice 3d look.
Last edited by Flying Fortress.; Aug 18, 2020 at 09:39 PM.
Jun 14, 2020, 07:55 PM
Keep 'em flying!
Thread OP
Next I sanded down the nose to make it flush with canopy, then I added two other pieces to the canopy for a friction fit to have a removable battery hatch. Finally, I built and glued the rest of the canopy to the wing. The Bronco is getting there. Hopefully the wind calms down for a maiden flight in the next week.
Jun 24, 2020, 11:24 AM
Keep 'em flying!
Thread OP
I cut out and glued on the cowls last week, I decided to use foamboard rather than solid foam or vacuum forming it because I do not have the equipment for that and solid foam is a headache. I removed the interior side of paper from the foamboard and ran it over a counter top to give a curved shape, before glueing them together and sanding them flush to the nascelles/booms.
Last edited by Flying Fortress.; Jun 24, 2020 at 11:31 AM.
Jun 24, 2020, 11:37 AM
Keep 'em flying!
Thread OP
Yesterday I sanded out the spinners from halves of foam eggs, it saved quite a bit of time and all I had to do was sand out the right diameter and give a sharper curve.
Jul 01, 2020, 10:04 PM
Keep 'em flying!
Thread OP
I've painted and dry fitted the spinners to the props, I haven't had a chance this week to work on it but I am hoping to finish it up soon.
Last edited by Flying Fortress.; Aug 14, 2020 at 08:33 AM.
Jul 09, 2020, 01:53 PM
Keep 'em flying!
Thread OP
Current progress of the build:
Jul 09, 2020, 08:20 PM
Looks awesome! Congratulations
Aug 06, 2020, 01:04 PM
Keep 'em flying!
Thread OP
I have been delayed working on the Bronco because of my busy summer work schedule. Yesterday I finished and installed the main landing gear, I am now starting to cut out the holes for the landing gear to retract into. I was originally planning on using some metal geared servos to rotate them but they ended up pulling too many amps so it was not possible to do so. I have made a locking guide to have them out for pavement and I can manually retracts them for belly landings. Without the battery she is already a bit tail heavy, hence why I reduced boom length by 1in. I am still thinking of a good name for my Ov-10 to have a nose art, if anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

Here are pics of the landing gear:
Aug 13, 2020, 03:08 PM
Earlier this week, the Smithsonian channel (570) ( I have Direct TV) ran an hour long program on their "Air Warriors" program about the OV10 Bronco
The daily program is much like the older Discovery Wings channel of the past.
Today's episode was the Supermarine Spitfire.
Yesterday was the P-38 Lightning.

The program is preceded daily (12 pm eastern time and again at 6pm eastern time) by another program called "Air Disasters" where they look at NTSB investigations into major commercial aircraft crashes. A very interesting program!
I recently subscribed to the Smithsonian channel after they ran a month long free promo.
A very interesting channel.
They have been running episodes on World War Two, and I have never seen any of these before elsewhere!
They also have an hour long program called "Hell Below" based on real US Navy and German U-Boat missions.
As an add on , the channel costs $4.10 US a month, andI feel it is well worth it!

They also cover many other documentary material, one called "Aerial America" each one about a different US State.
Last edited by ErcoupeEd; Aug 13, 2020 at 03:15 PM.
Aug 13, 2020, 08:57 PM
Keep 'em flying!
Thread OP
Very cool! I've watched Air Warriors before and it's a great show. Air Disasters was one of my favorites but like every good show... Netflix removed it. I still watch free episodes off YouTube here and there. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!
Aug 14, 2020, 02:02 PM
Today's episode was the Japanese Zero in World War Two.( Friday August 14th, 2020)
I missed today's program on Air Disasters.
It is being carried on the Smithsonian channel on Direct TV, channel 570.
I live rural, so cable companies won't bring cable to where I live or internet via cable.
Internet service via phone line is horrible here.
I use satellite services for both TV and internet
Aug 17, 2020, 03:17 PM
Keep 'em flying!
Thread OP
If I could sit and watch airplane documentaries all day, I definitely would, but like most unfortunately I can't. I have been making a lot of progress on my Bronco lately after some slow down with work. I have finished cutting out the holes for the main and nose gear to retract into. I have then added the upper mock intakes on top of the main ones (see pics).

The final steps to finishing my build are: Smoothing and rounding out the edges, pairing up the two in-board flaps to the single servo, gear covers for the nascelles/nose, polyethylene coat + newspaper over certain areas, and connecting control rods.

After that she is ready for a Maiden flight! As long as she survives the maiden, I am going to paint her and add the decals.
Last edited by Flying Fortress.; Aug 21, 2020 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Progress made

Quick Reply