Apr 30, 2020, 04:14 PM
Keep 'em flying!
Thread OP
Build Log

Ov-10 Bronco foamie

I finally finished figuring out what I want to build with foamboard... I'm going with one of North American's most beautiful and unique designs; the Ov-10a Bronco. I'm making my Ov-10 have a 3ft (36in) wingspan powered by 2x 2200kv brushless motors on 40a ESCs, spinning 5x4 four bladed propellers running off a 3s 11.1v 2200mah 40c LiPo battery. I'm planning on making it 6ch with flaps and possibly retracts depending on real estate in the nascelles/booms. I'm using Dollar Tree Adam's Readi-board, balsa, hot glue and plywood as the materials.

I am currently working on the wing and after that I will be moving on to the nascelles/booms, after I finish gluing it all together. Hopefully it turns out good, either way I will love it with pride even if it turns out ugly.

I would appreciate any suggestions, comments, history, or ideas for my build. Here are pics of the wing so far;

Wish me luck, -Dusty
Last edited by Flying Fortress.; May 07, 2020 at 09:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 30, 2020, 04:23 PM
Keep 'em flying!
Thread OP
I finally finished the wing, and it's good and ready to go! I will now start on the nascelles/booms.
May 22, 2020, 01:51 PM
Retired USAF
Update?
May 23, 2020, 02:46 PM
Keep 'em flying!
Thread OP
Sorry to all of you watching this build log, I've been busy as I am an essential worker during this covid-19 stuff and I've had a lot of extra work hours. I've started the nascelles/booms but clearly not a lot of it. I've mostly been figuring out design and scale of each part.
May 23, 2020, 09:08 PM
Keep 'em flying!
Thread OP
Today I finished the booms for the Bronco, and after dry fitting them to the wing, I can already see an Ov-10 in the parts and pieces of foamboard. I'm next installing the rudder servos and servo extensions, after figuring out where exactly I'm putting them. -Note that I'm building with no plans or instructions, complete DIY, so wish me luck.
Last edited by Flying Fortress.; May 24, 2020 at 03:38 PM.
May 25, 2020, 07:16 PM

Ov-10 Bronco foamie

Hi FF, your bronco goes great, congrats!
Iím a fan of the Bronco, itís beautiful and a great flyer, and I made one (5 or 6 to be more precise) some years ago that can help you to get done ideas or detect problems.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ronco-EB/page7

It was a long way from a simple profile pusher to a twin engine version (post #100)

I hope I can rebuilt my own design soon, now helped with some 3d pieces to more easy and scaled details

Good look on your project!!
May 26, 2020, 11:55 AM
Keep 'em flying!
Thread OP
Thanks rajazo, I too am a huge Bronco fan. -One of the planes I'd hope to own, or make a 1/2 scale of. My build is going good except I made a mistake and attached the booms to the fuse before I added a 1in spacer, -oops. I'm going to have to cut and redo it, on well. I admire your build, is that foamboard you used? Looks great.

Thanks.
May 26, 2020, 11:10 PM
Foam is where the heart is
Hi, I scratch built a little 1meter Bronco many years ago and it is still one of my favourite planes to fly.
It literally flew straight from my hand with no trim or adjustments needed and stayed that way until I recently crashed it. Now repaired and flying as good as ever.

I have some concern with the size of your ailerons as they seem a little on the small side to me. Mine will roll extremely well on full rates so they could be reduced, but not by much. Also, flaps are not really needed as this plane it is pretty draggy, and with windmilling props she slows down enough for a very gentle landing.
I ditched the rudders after a while because they were not all that useful and the complicated linking mech was a bit of an eyesore. I use differential throttle instead.

Anyway, great choice for a build and hope all goes well.
May 27, 2020, 11:04 AM
Keep 'em flying!
Thread OP
brett.c, your Ov-10 looks great! And yes, I too thought about the ailerons after I put the wing together. I have a problem of trying to make everything to scale, so I made the ailerons and flaps to scale to the real Ov-10 blueprint I used. Might be a mistake in my part, but time will tell. The dual rudders might help a little and make up for my small ailerons, or at least I am hoping it will. If it has a problem with too small of ailerons I will link the flap segments with the ailerons.

Thanks.

Quick Reply