Apr 14, 2005, 08:26 PM
FLY3OY
Thread OP

Space Ship One - White Knight Project

I want to build an electric White Knight platform to launch the Estes Space Ship One while in flight and capture the whole thing with on board video and photography. Here is my journal documenting my attempt.

Phase I
Objective: Build an electric aircraft platform for launching Space Ship One
Completed: 14 April 2005
My launch platform is a kit bash of the GWS SlowStick. Twin engine with a center rail that will carry the rocket powered Space Ship One aloft. She flew like a champ today with serious lift capability.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2005, 08:30 PM
FLY3OY
Thread OP
Phase II
Objective: Build a rocket powered Space Ship One
Completed: 5 March 2005
Weight comes in at 3.5oz with motor. Rocket motor is a Estes C6-3.
Apr 14, 2005, 08:32 PM
Got H2? Fuel Cell R/C Car
sweet!!! more to come right?
Apr 14, 2005, 08:35 PM
FLY3OY
Thread OP
Tomorrow will be a test flight with Space Ship One under the belly, pics to follow. If all goes well look for a full up launch on Saturday, should have video and pics of the event.
Apr 14, 2005, 08:36 PM
Got H2? Fuel Cell R/C Car
yea!!! You might want to check out the other rocket-launched planes threads for tips!
Apr 14, 2005, 09:59 PM
Under tension
Impressive! Good luck with the voyage. Are you going to haul M&M's onboard Space Ship One to recreate the sub-orbital flight?
Apr 15, 2005, 12:03 AM
FLY3OY
Thread OP
Space Ship One is loaded under the belly of "Red" Knight for an early morning test flight. Stay tuned!
Apr 15, 2005, 12:05 AM
FLY3OY
Thread OP
This is the angle of the in flight video camera that will capture the launch of Space Ship One from "Red" Knight.
Apr 15, 2005, 01:03 AM
Ego varius quis.
Nice plane!
Out of curiousity, how are you going to do the ignitor system? Rocket ignitors are VERY low-resistance, and require about 8 volts to fire reliably. A speed400 class ESC (~20A) could deliver the current with a solid-state system, but you might be better off with a servo operated switch. Although a NiMh AAA pack can most likely put out the necessary current, you'll momentarily lose control as the ignitor effectively shorts out the battery as it burns. I can verify all of this from personal experience.

And yes, I have no life.
Apr 15, 2005, 01:05 AM
OS RC developer
Heh, this is very cool! I watched both winning SSO flights live via Webcast, in complete awe. I like the launch cam angle. Just need the Virgin logo on the tail

What is the expected trajectory of the rocket? Good luck with the test flight in the morning!

Cheers,
-Max
Apr 15, 2005, 03:46 AM
Looks great! But, wont the rocket ignition and thrust throw the "mother ship" out of wack almost instantly? I used to build and launch model rockets and it all happens really quick! But, otherwise its a very original idea and it sounds fun just even attempting it. Good luck!!
Apr 15, 2005, 04:14 AM
Closed Account
I'd be more worried about the rocket motor toasting the tail feathers of the mothership.
Apr 15, 2005, 04:15 AM
Eeeek! good point. But its all in fun, Yes?
Apr 15, 2005, 05:32 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Kewl! Video is a must here. Good luck
Apr 15, 2005, 05:53 AM
Purdue Engineering
How are you going to ignite the motor? If your SS1 only came with 2 chunks of clay, you need to add more. It won't be stable without it.

Quick Reply