This thread is privately moderated by 3 Green, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 29, 2020, 07:09 PM
Enjoy flying gliders at Torrey
Thread OP
Discussion

New foamy RC addict, glider addiction as well

Just retired from flying commercially for the past 42 years.
Commercially flown and typed in:
B-727, 737, 747, 757,767,777,787, DC-10, G1159, Lear Jet

Started flying airplanes in 1967, (SMO) soloed in 1969. Received private pilots license in 1970 (17 years old). Commercial at age 18, instrument rating age 19, instructor ratings; all;;; instrument, multi-engine. Put myself through college teaching flying (UCSB).

Flew for:
Golden West Airlines
Western Airlines
Jet Airways
Jet America
United Airlines (retired 2018)

Now I have discovered the enjoyment of flying RC.

MY PLANES;

2 Apprentice S 1 with flaps and 1 without

1 older Timber, crashed twice

HH Sport Cub S. Learned to fly on this little bird

Cirrus low wing plane, crashed but (fixable)

P-51ís:
Older 1.0 Gunfighter
Older 1.5 Gunfighter
Old Crow NIB
Blondie NIB
Blondie repainted to Shangrila
Dallas Doll
Marie
Shangrila
Obsession
PZ Gunfighter NIB, 2 spare models
Ferocious Frankie (going to sell)
Eachine Mini P-51 (Micro)

Spitfires:
PZ Spitfire
E-Flite 1.2 Spitfire
Fliteline 1600 Spitfire

Flightline 1600 Tigercat
1.2 E-Flite T-6 (crashed)
PZ P-47 (crashed)
PZ F4U Corsair
1.2 F4U Corsair
1.7 F4U Corsair version 1.
1.2 E-Flite P-47

T-28ís
3 PZ T-28's one with retracts, one with flaps, one plain Jane
1 T-28 1.2
2 Carbon Z T-28's (one is a back-up)
1 1.5 T-28 "Huff 'n Puff"

PZ F4F Wildcat NIB
3 PZ F4F Wildcats, one with retracts, one is a beater, one is in good shape

Hangar 9:

H9 P-47 20cc electric
H9 P-51 20cc electric

Gliders:
EGlider AWs 2850
E-Glider 2300 FOX
Night Radian
Conscendo 1.5
Heron
AHI

Wings:
Opterra 1.2 Crashed
2 Opterra 2.0

EC 1500 Cargo plane

EDFís:
E-Flite Viper
Motion RC A-6 Intruder
Avanti,
E-Flite F-16 Thunderbird
E-Flite F-15 64m
Motion RC T-33

Spending the winter in SoCal and flying at various locations. I recently joined the glider flying club the ďGullsĒ who fly primarily at Torrey Pines. What a great place to fly. I got checked out and I am addicted. Love flying my Conscendo there and the Radian. I am also flying a Heron. You can stay up for hours if the wind is right. Wonderful members who are really exceptional. I am learning a lot and hope to have a larger 3-5 meter glider some day. I am also a member of the Wingmasters flying club in SoCal. Great place to fly foamy electric planes and a wonderful group of pilots there.

At home in Colorado I belong to the Jefco Modelers flying club. Fly mostly at Chatfield RC field flying my foamies and EDF jets. Another great place to fly with great friends and a superb place to fly.

I use a Spectrum DX9 radio.

Enjoying the hobby. Sticking with foam as I can repair if/when I crash..........

Practicing everyday with my RealFlight 9 sim on a 32 in curved screen.

Thank you for stopping by.
Last edited by 3 Green; Oct 29, 2021 at 08:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2020, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 green
just retired from flying commercially for the past 42 years.
Commercially flown and typed in:
B-727, 737, 747, 757,767,777,787, dc-10, g1159, lear jet

started flying airplanes in 1967, soloed in 1969. Received private pilots license in 1970 (17 years old). Commercial at age 18, instrument rating age 19, instructor ratings; all;;; instrument, multi-engine. Put myself through college teaching flying (ucsb).

Flew for:
Golden west airlines
western airlines
jet airways
jet america
united airlines (retired 2018)

now i have discovered the enjoyment of flying rc.

My planes;

2 apprentice s 1 new without electrical and one used that i will fly with an instructor

1 timber older, crashed twice

hh sport cub s. Learned to fly on this little bird

2 cirrus low wing planes, one crashed (fixable) and one very nice

p-51ís:
Older 1.2 gunfighter
old crow nib
blondie nib
dallas doll
marie
obsession
pz gunfighter in box new, 2 spare models
ferocious frankie (going to sell)
eachine mini p-51 (micro)

spitfires:
Pz spitfire
1.2 spitfire
1600 spitfire

e-flite t-6 1.2
pz p-47
pz f4u corsair
1.2 f4u corsair
1.7 f4u corsair nib

t-28ís
3 pz t-28's one with retracts, one with flaps, one plain jane
1 t-28 1.2
2 carbon z t-28's (one is a back-up)
1 1.5 t-28 "huff 'n puff"

pz f4f wildcat nib
3 pz f4f wildcats, one with retracts, one is a beater, one is in good shape

gliders:
Eglider aws 2850
e-glider 2300 fox
night radian
conscendo 1.5

wings:
Opterra 1.2 crashed
2 opterra 2.0

ec 1500 cargo plane
p-38
i wonít be flying any of the expensive newer warbirds anytime soon. Going to practice on the apprentice and timber before i tackle the tail dragging warbirds. Practicing with the pz p-51 and pz f4f wildcat, both hand launching and belly landers.

Using a recently purchased spectrum dx9 radio.

Enjoying the hobby. Sticking with foam as i can repair if/when i crash..........

Practicing everyday with my realflight 9 sim on a 32 in curved screen.

Thank you for stopping by.
good for you not the same as cockpit is it?
Dec 12, 2020, 11:14 AM
Enjoy flying gliders at Torrey
Thread OP
Not the same. 50 years in aviation doesn’t translate to my thumbs. Aerodynamics is the same however. A stall is a stall. Get too slow on final and you will stall and crash. I find it a challenge to fly correctly and to takeoff and land without any mishaps. I try every time I am out flying to fly as if I am in the plane and to fly and not crash. I do all the loops and rolls and maneuvers, but try not to take too many chances. I’m tired of crashing and fixing planes. Not sure I’ll ever get used to crashing, but there is a learning curve that one must go through. I’ve made most of the mistakes of a newbie RC pilot, but,,,,,, I am getting better and better each time I am out!

That’s all I can do and hope for. Try and get better and NOT repeat the mistakes.
Jun 05, 2021, 05:02 PM
Right Rudder
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Green
Not the same. 50 years in aviation doesnít translate to my thumbs. Aerodynamics is the same however. A stall is a stall. Get too slow on final and you will stall and crash. I find it a challenge to fly correctly and to takeoff and land without any mishaps. I try every time I am out flying to fly as if I am in the plane and to fly and not crash. I do all the loops and rolls and maneuvers, but try not to take too many chances. Iím tired of crashing and fixing planes. Not sure Iíll ever get used to crashing, but there is a learning curve that one must go through. Iíve made most of the mistakes of a newbie RC pilot, but,,,,,, I am getting better and better each time I am out!

Thatís all I can do and hope for. Try and get better and NOT repeat the mistakes.
Hi Paul,

I hope by now you are much better at your Thumbs!

Don't feel bad as some Astronauts came to our RC Club and crashed just like you.

Flying a full size airplane while onboard does NOTHING for RC.

Carlos
Oct 19, 2021, 08:47 AM

3green P-51 MARIE

my P-51 & maybe yours if foam ,,,,,,I FOUND THE WEBSITE.,,GENERAL HOBBY.COM LaRRY I HSVE NOY YET FOUND A SINGLE BLADE FOR A 12" 4 BLADE PROP.............PICOF THE PLANE CAN BE FOUND AT
GENERAL HOBBY/UNIQUE MODELS
Last edited by corsair167; Oct 19, 2021 at 09:03 AM. Reason: ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Oct 19, 2021, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 green
not the same. 50 years in aviation doesnít translate to my thumbs. Aerodynamics is the same however. A stall is a stall. Get too slow on final and you will stall and crash. I find it a challenge to fly correctly and to takeoff and land without any mishaps. I try every time i am out flying to fly as if i am in the plane and to fly and not crash. I do all the loops and rolls and maneuvers, but try not to take too many chances. Iím tired of crashing and fixing planes. Not sure iíll ever get used to crashing, but there is a learning curve that one must go through. Iíve made most of the mistakes of a newbie rc pilot, but,,,,,, i am getting better and better each time i am out!

Thatís all i can do and hope for. Try and get better and not repeat the mistakes.
good for you sounds li ke you will make it

Quick Reply