Apr 29, 2020, 05:11 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

B-25 Kadet

This is going to be a conversion to electric but first will be a bashing of a Kadet LT 40 ARF I was given a fuse from a friend but had no wing so it went into the spare parts pile, Few yrs later I am getting back into flying after a break and thought this would be fun to turn into a bomber and as the friend who gave it to me flies drones I drafted him into the project. My idea is to have at least one FPV camera but maybe 2 seeing you can pick the cheap ones up for $17 and to set up the camera as a bomb sight, The possible will be to line the plane up with the target but none the less the idea is coming to pass and things are begining to happen. Buddy located a free LT40 wing and I started figuring out the tail fins as the LT 40 lost the rudder, OK I lost it but it jumped off the fuse all on it's own. SO That's why I call it the B-25 Kadet as I am putting duel rudders on it, Well just because I can LOL So far I made a cardboard cutout of what I want to build and this will be a build thread but unfortunately it may take a while as I just moved and still need to sell the other house so a LO of time is there working on it and not building but as I go I will be taking pics and showing what I have done and also any ideas you may have please post them up and maybe make this even better. After the fuse is done then I will figure out the power system. It will also be turned into a tail dragger as the LG location will now be a bomb door. I will be beefing up the elevator and extending it to make it wider near the tip so it will be strait across a short way but have cardboard showing what I am talking about.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 29, 2020, 09:06 PM
Subscribed as I've always enjoyed watching Kadet bashing.
Apr 30, 2020, 04:27 PM
Thread OP
Well I was digging out what wood I had on hand seeing all NON Essential stores with balsa are closed and noticed something that didnt dawn on me, I have a Chinese knock off of a Ultrasprt 40 plus I got when I crashed my US40+ so long ago but before I finished putting the ARF together it had the elevator snapped (Won't get into HOW that happened) But I still have the original so put it into the Afr and the broken halves sitting there saying "We want to be rudders" Loud and clear Yup the balsa part are now talking to me) so I sanded the ends a bit and will have to build them up as I do the elevator but they looked pretty good tapes on anyway. OH and a pic of the repaired plane waiting to get finished.
Apr 30, 2020, 05:11 PM
A man with a plan
That's a clever Idea. I like it!
Apr 30, 2020, 05:15 PM
It's fun to kit-bash these things. I turned one of mine into a V-Tail. I had a kit-made fuse, an ARF wing, and a home-made V-tail.

Unfortunately, I lost it when I let a trainee fly it and I wasn't fast enough to recover it.

Bob
May 05, 2020, 01:57 PM
Nice work, Good use of salvaged parts. Now lets hope we can fly some.
**Neons** Bob
May 05, 2020, 02:51 PM
Thanks, **Neons**,

I added a towhook aft of the wing TE and even some air dams on the wingtip and made a bolt-down wing.

Let that be a lesson to me, when you have a plane that you've kitbashed, don't let anyone else fly it.

I don't mean to hijack the thread. I want to see more on the B-25 build.

Bob
May 06, 2020, 08:18 AM
Thread OP
Hey there Bob, was wondering when I would see you pop in here, Oh you’ll see this fly, I will be seeking your help on the final power system as it WILL be going electric at some point, So far I have added to the twin rudders some extra support and a small section of sheeting just to add needed streangth and plan to sheet at least the top half of the elevator to give it the streangth to hold these on its tips, I however will wait to glue them on as the elevator is glued in place so not to chance breaking them while modding the rest of the fuse for bomb bay doors and replacing landing gear. It’s going slow but moving forward., will post some more pics when I get to a PC as it’s tough using the phone at work lol oh yea I gotta work.
Last edited by Dauntae; May 06, 2020 at 08:38 AM.
May 06, 2020, 08:22 AM
Thread OP
Ah easier on the phone than I thought
May 06, 2020, 08:53 AM
Bruce. This will be an experimental that can work with E-power if you watch the weight carefully. Usually every ounce of weight you add near the tail or behind the C/G means you have to counter it with double or triple ounces up in the nose to get the nose back down.. Most of the nitro kits and Arf's are built old school and have heavy structures to handle the rigors of fuel and vibrations. Many of the coverings like Monokote are up on the heavier side compared to Litecote materials. What happens is you lose the performance dragging extra weight around. Not to be discouraging but it will all work fine and still fly okay. You will have some great flights.Still. you are making great use of materials hanging around which probably may never get used up. I am guilty of that also.

I have not been flying like last year. The virus is keeping me away. I am rebuilding a load of planes though. Hopefully we will see you at the field quite a bit soon,
**Neons** Bob
May 06, 2020, 08:54 AM
Dual post Delete
May 06, 2020, 09:05 AM
Thread OP
Yes being weary of the CG on this, The reason I opted for the LT40 was the large amount of wing and lift it has over other trainers, We still need to pick up the wing from you as Jim is also in this venture, If we over power and fly a little heavy I will be ok with it as this is just fun but will also be lightening up the fuse a bit but adding strength to the needed areas. This has always been fun for me with flying them as a close second. I even debated making it a electric twin but that’s getting a bit into building a whole new plane. We shall see and I’m getting creative for the bombs next.
May 06, 2020, 03:55 PM
If I may make a suggestion from all the LT-40's that I've built, beef up the floor under the tank in the nose. Make it so that you can still slide the battery in there, but have it strong enough that it can take a couple of slugs of lead as well.

The LT-40's that I had built before (maybe 6 - 7 of 'em) always seemed to come out a bit nose heavy to begin with, and you might have to add more weight to boot with those twin tails.

Just my $.02,

Bob
May 06, 2020, 04:46 PM
A man with a plan
Do you mean tail heavy?
May 06, 2020, 05:01 PM
Thread OP
Nose will be getting beefed up as the landing gear will be up there as a tail dragger, old gear location will now be the bomb bay, gear got ripped off being part of the reason it was given to me. She WILL fly again. Just can’t seem to locate my extra landing gear dince my move lol got them around here some place.
May 06, 2020, 05:14 PM
Balsaworkbench,. duh yeah. I meant Tail Heavy I was editing that msg and screwed it up.

Thanks for correcting me.

And with the nosewheel gone, there goes more of the built-in nose weight. As for the gear, I think I used 10-24 nylon bolts and T-nuts from the home center. No washers. Guys poke fun at me at the field but I have replaced very few nose blocks.

Bob
May 21, 2020, 07:21 PM
Thread OP
Slow going but moving forward, Not sure if I will still make electric though I would like too but weight IS starting to concern me more but however, Moved along and found some landing gear to make it a tail dragger and WOW the bombs I ordered from Hobby King are WAY bigger than some I had from many years ago from Hobby People of the days long gone but anyway I had hoped to fir 4 but these I was concerned if 2 would fir but seems 2 may just fit but may have to switch to duel servoes on the wing as there may not be roon in the fuse with bombs laoded. If I go with just one bomb it would work but what fun would that be. Bombs don't weigh as much as they look but WILL have some effect on CG once dropped so will balence slight tail heavy loaded and land nose heavy although they are near the CG but impossible to put directly on the CG.

Quick Reply