Apr 14, 2005, 02:36 PM
Park Jet Guru
Thread OP
Build Log

F/A-18 Hornet Foam Parkflyer--Part 2

Several folks have asked to split the F/A-18 Park Jet thread due to the difficulty of navigating such a large thread. So here's Part 2.

Here's a link the original thread:

F/A-18 Hornet Foam Parkflyer

For convenience, here's a link to the plans:

F/A-18 Park Jet Plans

Here's a link to the illustrated construction guide:

F/A-18 Park Jet Construction Guide

And here's a link to a VERY handy index to the first thread put together by LiftVsGravity (thanks LVG!):

F/A-18 Park Jet Thread Index (Part 1)

Post away!

Steve
Last edited by jetset44; Jun 15, 2008 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Changed link to newly updated plans
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2005, 03:10 PM
Go FASST or go home...
Steve!

I just want to say that I have flown my Hornet a few times the last two weeks and I like this bird better and better. Again thanks for a beauty. If I should be so unlucky to destroy it I have a F-15 about 80% finished so it won't take long to get in the air again....

When will you show us more of the TomCat? (Desperatly want one you see!)

Ben_E
Last edited by Ben_E; Apr 14, 2005 at 03:16 PM.
Apr 14, 2005, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44
Hey Spinner,
These photos are for you--thanks to your prompting, the F-14 Park Jet now has rudders! I was able to reduce the weight hit down to only 0.5 oz total, which is well worth the added control they should provide. I'm really looking forward to testing them out in high alpha!

Steve
Hi Steve,

I am very very slow, so just started on my F-15 3dfoamy kit this week. Can you comment on the rudder for the F15? Or is it something with the design of the F-14? I originally wasn't going to add one, but I defintely want to fly it slow. What do you think? Do you have rudders on all your parkjets?

-Kwok
Apr 14, 2005, 03:38 PM
I hate to say it but "Thank God" that was the Mother of all threads, perhaps we can clip these off at 1,000 post intervals. On with the Show!!
Apr 14, 2005, 03:43 PM
Hey Im sorry if anybody get mad at me for posting this in here. But I need some help and the foamie thread isnt helping. I was earlier in this thread talking about building a foam cutter and need some help. Here is my original post in the foamie thread.

Hey I have a quick question for you foam cutter guys. I am currently building one and just went to walmart and bought a Schumacher Speed Charger that has variable amps. But it is computerized and it wont catch because my wire isnt a battery. Is there any way to get around this? Also I have a einstine nicd charger it works for about 5 seconds then the two lights both come on and it automatically turns off. Is there any way I could use either of these to work for a foam cutter? Thanks a ton for any help

Pleeaaase somebody help. I hate cutting out all of these jets with just a xacto knife that I can never get straight. If neither of those chargers work how should i go about getting one that does. Thanks lol.
Apr 14, 2005, 04:26 PM
This should set you in the right direction. You need a transformer, not a charger. Even a toy train, or slot car transformer would work.

If you have a Radio Shack by you this will give you a parts list, and directions. Once you have the basic set-up you can make a cutting bow, or built a table and make a cutting "Band-Saw" Your options are endless, well almost

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...amcutterps.htm
Apr 14, 2005, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianu.16
Pleeaaase somebody help. I hate cutting out all of these jets with just a xacto knife that I can never get straight. If neither of those chargers work how should i go about getting one that does. Thanks lol.
If you are planning alot of questions, then its best to start a new thread and post the link here. I could go into plenty of detail with pictures and diagrams, but not here. This will be my only reply.

But briefly, you just don't need that kind of power to cut sheet. The wire only needs to be a few inches long. For example you can buy this cutter for $8. It uses 2 D cells for power. Your local craft store should carry it. And you can also use it to free hand sculpt the nose.
http://www.unitednow.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=CFC-601

Also, don't expect it to be that easy to hotwire foam straight. To do that you need a template. Granted it will give you a good 90 deg along the width, but it is going to be wavy and jagged length wise. On the other hand, cutting with an exacto knife should be much easier to get straight lengthwise cuts.

-Kwok
Apr 14, 2005, 05:55 PM
Mighty Dane
Cant wait for the F-14.. looks absolute stunning with the wings..
Apr 14, 2005, 06:05 PM

F-14 Rudders

Way to go, Steve! I'm going to be very interested in your comments regarding rudders vs. differential tail at high alpha Do you have an ETA on maiden?

Great job!
Joe
Apr 14, 2005, 09:53 PM
Park Jet Guru
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwok_Yu
Hi Steve,

I am very very slow, so just started on my F-15 3dfoamy kit this week. Can you comment on the rudder for the F15? Or is it something with the design of the F-14? I originally wasn't going to add one, but I defintely want to fly it slow. What do you think? Do you have rudders on all your parkjets?

-Kwok
Hi Kwok,
I personally like to have rudders on my park jets because I do a lot of high alpha flying and the rudder adds a lot of manueverability in high alpha flight. In fact, on the Gripen and F-18 the rudder is about the only way you can get the airplane to turn during really high alpha. However, the F-15 park jet has more sedate handling qualities than the other two designs, and it actually handles quite well in slow flight without a rudder. That's probably because it has the largest vertical tails of the three and also doesn't have either strakes or a canard which reduce directional stability. I didn't put a rudder on my F-15 (it's the only one without) and have rarely missed it. Having one on the F-15 would certainly improve low speed handling a little bit, but probably not enough to be worth the extra weight and effort. Thus, I think you'll be just fine if you don't put a rudder on your F-15.

FYI, I put rudders on the F-14 because it has tailerons--which probably won't provide good controllability at high alpha. That's just a known characteristic of tailerons.

Steve
Apr 14, 2005, 09:55 PM
Park Jet Guru
Thread OP
Spinner and Ben,
If all goes well, I'm hopeful to test fly the F-14 this weekend. Depends on the weather and my ability to finish the last few bits...

Steve
Apr 14, 2005, 10:05 PM
Rcparkflyer could you help me out a little bit with that foam power cutter supply? I think I messed it up a little bit. Here is a link to the thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...49#post3606720

Thanks.
Apr 14, 2005, 11:35 PM
Professional Goofball
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44
Spinner and Ben,
If all goes well, I'm hopeful to test fly the F-14 this weekend. Depends on the weather and my ability to finish the last few bits...

Steve
If you don't have video for us all to drool over, a mob carrying fan fold foam pitch forks and axes will be at your door the next morning...
Apr 14, 2005, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianu.16
Rcparkflyer could you help me out a little bit with that foam power cutter supply? I think I messed it up a little bit. Here is a link to the thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...49#post3606720

Thanks.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ht=foam+cutter
Apr 14, 2005, 11:59 PM
Park Jet Guru
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCModels
If you don't have video for us all to drool over, a mob carrying fan fold foam pitch forks and axes will be at your door the next morning...
hee hee...good one!

Quick Reply