Apr 03, 2002, 12:00 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Thread OP

Trimming and Launching 'The Bug'

Hi everyone,

I just finished installing the equipment in my bug. I currently have it trimmed out so that the glide is as flat as possible, but I find that this means if I turn too sharply I stall. Is this preferable, or should I make the glide a few clicks steeper?

Second question, I plan to eventually discus launch the bug, but want to get some time flying it with regular javelin launch before I start. Right now my javelin launch only reaches the hight of a phone pole (30' or so) or a tiny bit higher, then on the top the plane stalls and drops about 5-10 feet of that height which is giving me flights of 15-20 seconds.

I hear of people getting no-lift flights of up to a minute - what is your launch technique? I've tried throwing the plane level and letting it climb, throwing it at 30 and 45 degrees, etc. I'm stumped. Also any beginner info on the basics of javelin launching would be helpful.

My bug ended up weighing a bloated 111 grams (3.9 oz) so that may be part of my problem.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Al
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2002, 07:01 PM
Al,

I've read (note: never tried as I'm still building my Bug) that the best way to javelin launch is to throw straight ahead and follow through. The plane will naturally balloon upward after release. Level off at the top before you stall; allowing yourself to stall looses altitude. I watched your videos too; I think that was a little to much wind.

Good luck flying it. Can't wait to get mine in the air.

-Dan
Apr 08, 2002, 12:29 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Thread OP
There's 2 more videos there of another day with only 5-8mph winds instead of the 15+ I had the first day. I still stall some in the turns. My CG is right so I must have too much uptrim I guess. Either that or I need to mix in some down with my aileron channel?
Apr 08, 2002, 03:14 PM
The best way to launch the Bug is to side-arm launch it. A lot of Bug owners have tried it.
Jul 18, 2002, 07:41 AM
Everything that Allan described happens to my bug. I flew it for the first time last night in dead calm conditions, and the longest flights were 25 seconds. I moved the CG back for a better glide, but now it stalls easily when turning. I know that people get long flights with the javelin launch. What are we doing wrong?
Last edited by maciek; Jul 18, 2002 at 07:44 AM.
Jul 18, 2002, 12:55 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Thread OP
If you're stalling put in a click or two more down trim. A steady glide that is a little steeper is better than a flat glide with stalls sprinkled in.

Evenings are the worst time for HLG - air is cooling making sink. If you must fly after say 3pm or so, look for a ridge with the wind coming up it and get your lift that way.

Fly your bug on the weekend from 10am-2pm and you'll be surprised how different it performs.

Have fun,
Al
Apr 30, 2003, 06:02 PM
Hey guys !

Where are thos bug videos that you re talking about ?
Apr 30, 2003, 08:40 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Thread OP
On my old Bug page: http://pease1.sr.unh.edu/aew/rc/Bug/ The take a while to download so you might want to right click on them and use "Save As..."
Last edited by Allan Wright; Apr 30, 2003 at 08:44 PM.
May 01, 2003, 01:05 AM
Happy happy, joy joy!
I too have just finished a Bug... gliders are new to me.

I spent some time at the local park tossing and flinging, javelin-style. It was a little windy, and not too hot. Fairly short flights, but what do I know?? I'm curious to try it in some warmer air.

But I'm most curious about sidearm launch, which John mentioned. I'm wondering what mods would be needed for this. Are you talking discus, which would need a stub of CF tube in one tip maybe? It seems like somehow connecting this to the spar would make it pretty strong. Not sure if I want to punch a hole in my covering and tip though!

Any hints/advice?

-Todd
May 01, 2003, 07:39 AM
Allen. Maciek and Goge,

Make sure you have sufficient washout in the wing tips. That will help your stalling on turns (Will cause some drag on launch). Try the SAL. You should double your launch height. The weight should not be a problem. More mass for the SAL = more height. If you really want a floater add a third #3 rib on both sides. (Lots more wing area, still very strong, and not much additional weight.) I don't like the servo mount position so I made my fuse thinner and deeper for a vertical mount of the servos. I will do that again when I use this one up. I may even make the nose longer so I can move the servos foreword of the bulkhead and make a stronger/heavier cross tail.

P.S. all I did for SAL is add some .056 glass to the wing tip with CA and run the CF spar out farther past the tip rib. I sanded the spar down a little to help the rounding. (watch out for the CF dust. It can get in your lungs and be realllllly bad) I also inlay a nylon nut in the fuse for a holddown but this is not necessary for sal.

PSS. I leave out the peg in the fuse.
May 03, 2003, 07:13 AM
In the (inclined) loop
All you need to do is put a peg in the wing, and change the tail to a cruciform layout. Add a launch preset to a spring switch and you're ready to go. The bug will withstand the most athletic of throws.

I've enclosed a picture of the cruciform tail. These details (and many others) are available at the yahoogroups forum which is at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/

-PJ

Quick Reply