Apr 28, 2020, 11:53 AM
Boomer1
Thread OP
Discussion

Victoria by Thunder Tiger is back

Some of you may have been aware that Thunder Tiger has updated their time tested RC yacht the Victoria. Many of us have had one or more over the years. I remember mine as a well mannered sailor and a fun all around boat. I am happy to see it's had a face lift - new graphics - not sure if any other changes were included in the remake.
Non-the-less we have a good option out there for the new RC sailboats out there. They have another boat in production they call their Challenger 800 - I'll post more about that on a separate thread.
Anyway I am always happy to see RC boats being offered. So many have go away for ever! To keep RC sailing alive there has to be choices. With the final closing of Victor Models we have lost yet another staple line of boats for RC sailors to choose from.
Let's keep this great past time alive!

Boomer

Here's a line to the manufacture's site https://www.thundertiger.com/product...?id=75&lang=en
Current kit price $139.00 needs electronics
America' Cup Radio Control Sailing Yacht
The Victoria R/C Sailing Yacht allows you to enjoy the simply pleasure of sailing on gentle summer breezes on a sunny afternoon....or the intensity of racing in the America's Cup. Ideal for the first-time skipper or beginning R/C enthusiast, the Victoria is a highly prefabricated, easy-to-assemble kit with detailed instruction manual. Recognized by the American Model Yachting Association (AMYA) as a racing class, Thunder Tiger's Victoria has become synonymous with maximum yachting pleasure.

Features
Quality One- Piece ABS HulI/Deck
Factory Painted & Low Drag Hydrodynamic Ballast
Light & Strong Anodized Mast & Boom
High Performance Plus Tear Resist Racing Sails
Removable Mast/Sails Design For Easy Transport
New Shell Painting Design
Wood Display Stand Included
Specification
Length 779mm (30.7")
Mast Height 1086mm (42.8")
Sail Area 28.6dm^2 (433 sq.in.)
Beam 197mm (7.7")
Weight 2.1Kg (4.6 lbs)
Radio 2 ch req'd
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 28, 2020 at 12:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 28, 2020, 02:17 PM
Looks like the same aluminum mast and booms.
I'm assembling an older one. Replacing the mast and booms with wooden dowel 3/8-inch mast and 1/4-inch booms is saving half their weight.
Apr 28, 2020, 03:43 PM
Boomer1
Thread OP
One thing I never liked was the kit instructions requiring you to bond the mast pieces be bonded together permanently.
That factor made shipping a boat a pain. The mast required a special 2nd box non-standard size are that!
Other than that, loved the boat .
Boomer
Apr 28, 2020, 03:46 PM
Saw /built one last year. Nothing has changed but the colors. Throw away everything but the hull keel and rudder. Shipping for 1 is $55 to MD. Any word on a US distributor?
Apr 28, 2020, 05:43 PM
Thomas Armstrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzway
Saw /built one last year. Nothing has changed but the colors. Throw away everything but the hull keel and rudder. Shipping for 1 is $55 to MD. Any word on a US distributor?
Wise words. In Santiago de Chile these are raced as a class - best boats are the ones rebuild from scratch - rules must be followed of course.
Apr 28, 2020, 06:15 PM
I purchased a new old stock Victoria back in mid March, took me two week at leisure to put her together. I kept everything, tossed nothing. I did make a few minor changes, I skipped over the gluing the mast halves part, jest did not like that idea, added a fore stay, on / off switch in cockpit.

I have found that with the stock mast, booms an sails it is 100% a lite air boat, I'm OK with that. I am a fan of the stock scale original looks. She's pretty on the shelf.

The new old boat I purchased was the original version I think with the blue and yellow sails? After sailing my Victoria a few times I went to Thunder Tiger looking to purchase the new sails , all sold out all ready! I did end up buying the Victoria sail set with the blue slashes on it(only 2 left) mainly for the jib, its got be a little better than the originals.
Apr 28, 2020, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmstro
Wise words. In Santiago de Chile these are raced as a class - best boats are the ones rebuild from scratch - rules must be followed of course.
Yep made these for a long time. best upgrade you can get and within the rules.
PS Hi Thomas hope all is well.
Apr 29, 2020, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul~
Looks like the same aluminum mast and booms.
I'm assembling an older one. Replacing the mast and booms with wooden dowel 3/8-inch mast and 1/4-inch booms is saving half their weight.
go to a sporting goods store. buy a couple aluminum arrows. much better and lighter, or go to goodwinds and get some carbon shafts. they make a tapered roll wrapped tube as well, best mast ever. light strong, don't need spreaders.

looking at the pictures, I think a blind person could have rigged the boat better and taken better pics. In factory trim in all but the lightest of breezes it was a crappy sailing boat . Once you but a decent rig and sails, it get better.

Also be careful with the bow knuckle. before you build one. look through the cockpit while holding the bow up to the light... the material gets really really thin. so be careful sanding and handling the boat.

there area couple build guides Okanagan rc club has a good one. you can easily build a boat below the 4.5lbs if you don't use all the factory stuff and follow the victoria class rules
Apr 29, 2020, 08:44 AM
I am glad to see the Vic kits are available again. However, the new pictures with the sails in that shape are cringe worthy. I have one of the gen 2 kits and the sails are workable. Curious what the new ones are made of.
Apr 29, 2020, 09:45 AM
Boomer1
Thread OP
Guessing they are a "rip stop" fabric. Typical sail material used on many production boats.
The literature doesn't provide any fabric type specifically..

Boomer
Apr 29, 2020, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
Guessing they are a "rip stop" fabric. Typical sail material used on many production boats.
The literature doesn't provide any fabric type specifically..

Boomer
Kind of hard to tell from the pic. The gen2 sails were some sort of rip stop, but with a decent amount of strength. Gen1 sails appeared to be some white version of saran wrap.
Apr 29, 2020, 10:01 AM
Both my Victorias had ripstop-looking sails. I always thought I had a 1 and a 2, and couldn't really understand the complaints about the sails. So perhaps my 1st one was a "gen 1 and a bit". Could explain things a bit. After getting a bit too enthusiastic in a 25mph wind which shredded the originals, I replaced them with after market mylar from HouseMartin Sails. At least they don't need battens, which the originals were inclined to shed at the first opportunity.
With proper rigging, there is no need for bonding the mast join, but this does mean that you need to keep it rigged, or do a poolside rig every time and spend probably most of the sailing session tweaking and tuning rather than sailing. With a single piece mast, there is the opportunity to re-rig it along the lines of an IOM and make setting up much easier.
Apr 29, 2020, 10:16 AM
Boomer1
Thread OP
Rod Carr makes custom sails for $75.00 which are class legal.
Just a thought.
Boomer
Apr 29, 2020, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzway
The more important question is how is the bulb made? Still "steel alloy" like the older newer ones?

It looks like from the pictures in the first post.
Apr 29, 2020, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gio06226
The more important question is how is the bulb made? Still "steel alloy" like the older newer ones?

It looks like from the pictures in the first post.
if they are still the alloy, there used to be a guy in texas making class legal lead bulbs...

Quick Reply