Apr 28, 2020, 01:25 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Where is the DJI digital drone?

I'm really confused by this. They've now released two camera quads since the digital fpv system came out. The specs on the Mavic Air 2 are nice but the video clip they provided to show off the image quality features quite a bit of highly illegal flying. A 500g quad flying well above a city skyscraper. Who else but DJI is going to capture that kind of footage without setting off alarms at NORAD?

I have a Sector 132 Caddx Vista version on order from HGLRC because I can deal with binding and tuning in Betaflight. But in reality, most people can't. We represent a very small percentage of the world's population who even knows what Betaflight is.

With their advances in ion cells and a digital FPV system that finally solves the scuzzy image quality of analog video, you would think DJI would have a RTF package of their own in-house design to help sell it. The onboard DVR of their Air unit is plenty good. A small, light sporty cruiser that's completely RTF out of the box would sell.

Wouldn't it?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 28, 2020, 01:41 AM
fly by night
good thing they don't, in some respects. Can't manage Betafligth, iNav or Ardupilot? who cares? Plenty of us can use that software with ease. go buy a Mavic
Apr 29, 2020, 05:05 AM
Wow. That was a snarky response. Jeez.
I actually do wonder why DJI has not released an RTF freestyle type of quad to be used with the digital FPV system. I know it would sell. There are a lot of people that don't want to be bothered with tuning in Betaflight. I think it comes down to the DJI overall plan. They most likely want to stick with their core products, which are the super stable camera drones that got them so much popularity in the market.
Apr 29, 2020, 08:07 AM
Noob
Isn't every drone with an air unit a DJI RTF? I mean if you get an iflight with an air unit, bind your goggles and transmitter and off you go? As long as you don't want to start messing with things or using another TX but if you wanted to make it as easy as possible?
Apr 29, 2020, 09:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by patlo911
Isn't every drone with an air unit a DJI RTF? I mean if you get an iflight with an air unit, bind your goggles and transmitter and off you go? As long as you don't want to start messing with things or using another TX but if you wanted to make it as easy as possible?
It's true they tried to solve the current mess of protocols and sub-protocols in the RC hobby by releasing their own radio but their Mavics, etc always include a transmitter.

It's just odd to me since DJI is a drone manufacturer. It's what they do. I'm not saying I have a problem with them outsourcing to BNF brands(and us!)I just assumed they would have their own in-house quad available to capitalize on all the work they put into designing the digital system.
Apr 30, 2020, 08:43 PM
fly by night
They do have their own in house quads. Mavics. DJI is not a racing drone company. It's really great that they bothered to make a nice HD video and RC system to be used with home made drones and PNP racing drones. You can buy a nicely pre-made racing drone with analog video with minimal setup needed.

Also, the modern versions of Betaflight require minimal 'tuning.' It's become much easier to work with, partly since the digital ESCs came out.

Maybe DJI will make a racing drone, or maybe not. I don't care either way. BF works for me and I like that the DJI HD system can be installed on airplanes too

Quick Reply