Firma 130 Amp Smart Brushless Marine ESC (SPMXSE1160M)

Spektrum Firma Smart Marine ESCs for boats and watercraft deliver power and intelligence all-in-one. Without added sensors or modules, they feed telemetry data straight to your radio in real time, keeping you more connected to your model than ever before.

Splash

Smart Technology — More connected for more confidence and control...

Spektrum Smart Technology is about offering a higher connection to your hobby. It's an RC ecosystem that puts you in complete control while making vital components of your model easier to use than ever before. Smart technology ensures that all of your model's electronics work together seamlessly for the greatest efficiency and performance. It keeps you aware of every component's status, boosts your confidence in its capabilities, and makes your entire system more responsive and simple to use.

Spektrum radios with Smart features can download firmware updates instantly using Wi-Fi and can swap setups with compatible radios via Bluetooth. Spektrum Smart LiPo batteries have a built-in microchip that records and communicates your charging preferences automatically to Smart chargers — just connect your pack and press "Start." Smart IC™ series connectors include an innovative data wire that transfers information easily between Smart components with a single connection. Finally, Smart ESCs not only deliver power but also eliminate the hassles from running telemetry. The days of installing and connecting multiple wires, sensors, modules and links are over.

Features

• Smart all-in-one telemetry
  • 32-bit ARM M4 processor
  • 160 Amp Continuous current, perfect for demanding high voltage setups
  • Up to 8S (29.6V) input voltage
  • Built-in Series Connection with high heat resistant IC5 Connectors
  • No compromise waterproof design
  • Multiple water cooling jackets provide ample heat disbursement
  • Multiple options for easy programming:
  • Button programming
  • Smart ESC Programming Box
  • SmartLink USB Updating and Programmer application
  • Multi-point protection:
  • Over-current protection
  • Automatic LiPo low-voltage cutoff
  • Thermal protection
  • Failsafe protection
  • Compact for easy installation in most applications
  • Ready to install — no soldering required
  • Rugged plastic case with mounting tabs
  • Aluminum heat sink for high efficiency
  • Multiple water cooling inlets/outlets
  • High current 6V BEC
  • Firmware updatable through the Smart ESC Programming Box
  • High heat-resistant IC™ connectors, backward compatible with EC™ connectors
  • Limited 1-year warranty
  • Developed and designed by Spektrum™ engineers, in partnership with the industry's leading ESC manufacturer

Spektrum™ Smart Electronic Speed Controls (2 min 25 sec)

Learn More!

Head over to Horizon Hobby for more info and pricing...

Apr 23, 2020, 08:43 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Ready for criticism? I can be painfully honest.

The thing I don't like about this concept is the same reason I stopped buying Apple products,....Mainly proprietary hardware that only works with one company's proprietary hardware. Mac PCs only working with Apple's drives, mice ,etc. was never something I liked or supported.

Selling songs in a format only Apple's iPod players offered was another act I looked down upon. One had to convert it to other formats to use with other players, which degrades the song's quality. I never bought one song from Apple because of.

I like the idea of smart tech, but only if it is smart enough to work with everyone's products as most RC equipment can already do. I do not wish to be forced into only buying Spektrum batteries and Spektrum chargers to make use of these new Spektrum ESCs. That is, unless these items are priced competitively to offerings of products from other sellers and/or brands.

Commonality is my goal, just as any company's servos and any brand's ESCs will work with practically any receivers. Products that greatly limit my choices, I rarely if ever buy.

Maybe if this smart tech becomes popular in the near future and other manufactures make compatible smart electronics available that work properly with Spektrum's products, then I will dive in. I want to keep alternate choices available, that's all.
Apr 24, 2020, 09:39 PM
FL, Sanford
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe

The thing I don't like about this concept is the same reason I stopped buying Apple products,....Mainly proprietary hardware that only works with one company's proprietary hardware. Mac PCs only working with Apple's drives, mice ,etc. was never something I liked or supported.

Selling songs in a format only Apple's iPod players offered was another act I looked down upon. One had to convert it to other formats to use with other players, which degrades the song's quality. I never bought one song from Apple because of.

I like the idea of smart tech, but only if it is smart enough to work with everyone's products as most RC equipment can already do. I do not wish to be forced into only buying Spektrum batteries and Spektrum chargers to make use of these new Spektrum ESCs. That is, unless these items are priced competitively to offerings of products from other sellers and/or brands.

Commonality is my goal, just as any company's servos and any brand's ESCs will work with practically any receivers. Products that greatly limit my choices, I rarely if ever buy.

Maybe if this smart tech becomes popular in the near future and other manufactures make compatible smart electronics available that work properly with Spektrum's products, then I will dive in. I want to keep alternate choices available, that's all.
+100 as I have the same sentiment about that tech.
Apr 27, 2020, 12:31 PM
Aviation Enthusiast
Isn't all radio and telemetry tech proprietary? I mean you cant use Spektrum with Futaba and so on...Unless you are a computer guy and like to spend countless hours programing a radio and that sort of stuff. For most of us we just want to stick with one type of radio manufacture and have it work so we don't have to mess with it all the time. I guess I do agree with you regarding some of the smart tech stuff, like the batteries as they seem kind of overpriced.

What is funny about this ESC is that currently there is no Spektrum Marine receiver capable of telemetry and as of now there are only two marine receivers available. I know because I am currently setting up one speed boat and building a wooden scale race boat and for both boats I am using the spectrum MR4000 DSMR 4 Ch Marine Receiver and a DX5C SMART transmitter which is capable of telemetry but the receiver is not. I was frustrated trying to find a receiver that works in a marine application that had telemetry...
Last edited by nhk750; Apr 27, 2020 at 12:45 PM.
Apr 27, 2020, 01:48 PM
Actually, we've been shipping this on surface radios since BEFORE we did it with Air. I know because I had to set aside stuff and bust my buns for 2 months on it.

The MR series was discontinued several years ago because the DSMR protocol is so much better on both soil and water.

You might want to look at the SR6100AT. More surface telemetry receivers are in development as we move from Cypress to Texas Instrument chips.

Andy
Last edited by AndyKunz; May 04, 2020 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Fix typo: should have been DSMR
Apr 27, 2020, 03:14 PM
Aviation Enthusiast
I actually use the SR6100AT in my rock crawler and it works great with telemetry, but when i sent an email to Spektrum asking if it would work on boats they said not to use it and use the marine receiver. But thats ok as I plan on using a voltage alarm anyway and for boats it’s not as critical as you just float and not crash from the sky.
Apr 27, 2020, 04:02 PM
Aviation Enthusiast
Here is a copy of the email sent from Horizon.

Surface telemetry is not adaptable in a marine application.

David W
Product SupportHorizon Hobby, LLC
Hours (CST):
Monday - Friday: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed

Ticket Details

Helpdesk: http://horizonhobby.kayako.com
May 04, 2020, 10:08 AM
You do not have to use the smart batteries, and if you do you do not have to use smart chargers.

If you DO use a smart battery you will get some additional info such as voltage of each cell, and other info that is not really needed when operating a vehicle, but is useful when charging the battey.

I use the smart batteries but use my standard charger on them. I use my smart servo tester / cell checker if i want to look at info on the battery or adjust the timer to self discharge.

If you use everything smart, it is seemless and provides huge amounts of data, but you can still benifit from it even if you just use parts
May 04, 2020, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhk750
I actually use the SR6100AT in my rock crawler and it works great with telemetry, but when i sent an email to Spektrum asking if it would work on boats they said not to use it and use the marine receiver. But thats ok as I plan on using a voltage alarm anyway and for boats it’s not as critical as you just float and not crash from the sky.
Good thing you reached the engineer (me) this time!

Yes, use your DSMR equipment on the water. It works better than DSM-Marine did. Plus you get telemetry.

You can also use an aircraft system on the water (DSMX is similar to DSMR), but not everyone finds sticks easy for surface. We made several water-resistant air receivers for our float planes like the Ikon.

Andy
May 04, 2020, 03:48 PM
Aviation Enthusiast
Man, I should have asked you before I purchased the 4 channel DSMR receiver... It's all good though as I don't really need a super duper receiver, just one that is solid and works as I dont race or need long distance transmissions.
May 10, 2020, 12:54 PM
TRUMP 2020
Nothing holds a candle to Futaba for on the water range and reliability.
May 11, 2020, 10:20 AM
Aviation Enthusiast
Unfortunately once you commit to one manufacture you cant mix and match. So, I chose Spektrum and love them as it works, way less expensive than Futaba and have no issues with my airplanes, boats or cars yet.
Aug 02, 2020, 08:34 AM
UpliFT-RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe

Different strokes for different folks mate! Let's be super clear here - You and I know that MAC's are far more superior then any PC on the market and thats a fact! I been a DJ/Artist/Producer for over 25 years and As far as you mentioning that you can only use the Apple song with your IPAD is a bunch is BS. Sounds like you have no clue on what your are talking about. I can use any format I want to -you just have to convert over to a MP3 and have the proper software to do it with and you lose ZERO quality what so ever but that here no there!

Anyways, I love Spektrum products since I use there DX5C Smart 5-Channel Transmitter along w/ AS3X Telemetry Receiver that gives me AVC Technology on all of my ARRMA rigs! I control up to 24 cars or boats with 1 remote! I use the DX5C Smart 5-Channel Transmitter for my ARRMA 6s Notorious / ARRMA 6s Kraton, ARRMA 3s Granite Monster truck and on my ARRMA 3s Typhon and I absolutely love it! Also, I use the same remote for my Sonicwake Proboat w/ there MR4000 4-Channel Marine Receiver! I don't use there Lipo's or there chargers! Just because you buy some of Spektrum products you're not locked in to buy everything Spextrum for the record.
Aug 02, 2020, 08:29 PM
"Different strokes for different folks mate! Let's be super clear here - You and I know that MAC's are far more superior then any PC on the market and thats a fact!"

Are you just looking for a fight?..........
There are thousands of members here on RC groups that have PC's, show them respect.

It's not a fact. There are too many applications and games that don't run on a Mac.

We could list Pro's and Con's all day of each but the Pro's for PC's will far outnumber the Macs.

I've been in IT for 33 years and run Fedora Core 32 on a $700 PC with 3 virtual machines: Windows 10, Windows 7 and FC27

Fedora has multiple window managers and can look like a Windows box or MacOS box.

If anyone is interested in learning more, lets start a new thread.

Mark
Last edited by Kieven; Aug 02, 2020 at 09:07 PM. Reason: added more info

Quick Reply