Apr 24, 2020, 04:24 PM
Ok guys, what's your secret?
I am ready to learn.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 24, 2020, 04:41 PM
I have several Kokam batteries that are from around 2003. They were never pushed hard, always kept in the fridge etc. Still flying in the original wattage airplane they were bought for.
Apr 24, 2020, 05:56 PM
Battery Puffer
I think 2 years in a jet is good if your a little abusive but others can expect 4 to 6 years in the perfect environment. Iv'e had BVM customers tell me there packs are still going after 3 to 4 years so it's all subjective and maybe 5 to 6 is possible. Once a battery gets to it's end of life, it will charge and balance just fine, but put a load to it and the voltage really sags. Only you can be the judge.
Apr 25, 2020, 08:41 PM
User Registered
My three WinMax Nano Platinum packs are from 2010. The funny thing about them WinMax packs is that they state 8C and 10C charge rates...to me, that seemed totally crazy back then. The Hunger packs are from 2014~2016. I used to be really adamant on doing 1C charge rates for safety, and longevity. Nowadays, I do mostly 2C charge rates.
Apr 27, 2020, 06:05 AM
I've started with RC airplanes in October 2005. I've changed the motor /ESC / battery of my first Multiplex EasyGlider with li-po batteries.

Some of the 14 y.o. Thunder Power batteries are working good today. Of course I use the on small and inexpensive models.

I store all my batteries at 52% capacity and inside a metal box (see image).
Name: batterie.jpg
Views: 24
Size: 230.9 KB
Description:

I must admit that I fly my models on weekends only so most of my batteries are used for less than 30 ÷ 50 charges.

I know that after 100+ charges a li-po battery starts to loose performance and reliability.

Bye!

ettore
Apr 28, 2020, 01:44 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
Plopped a 7 year old blue Turnigy 3S 2200 25C pack in a high performance wing (lot of WOT flying). After my 4th high speed pass it shut down and fell from the sky, crashing through some tree limbs causing a major repair.

I didn't check the pack again until a couple of days later and all 3 cells were reading about 3.84v. I've not checked the IR of this pack yet. Amp draw is around 38A and I was using a Castle Thunderbird 54A ESC.

No flight log data was captured. I doubt I had more than 50 or 60 cycles on the pack.
Apr 28, 2020, 03:16 PM
What would lonelasso do?
I have some old batteries (from 2006ish) but certainly don't fly them. Most of them I recycled but kept a few including at least one of those old TP 1320s.
Apr 29, 2020, 08:58 AM
FG
FG
I still have 3 Turnigy 6s 5000 40c lipos I bought in 2016. Still going strong. Ever so slight swelling nothing to worry about. I don't fly em hard and always balance charge em and put in storage mode when not in use. Good to go.
Apr 29, 2020, 06:37 PM
I have some 3 s 4500 packs and 5000 packs that work well, I mainly fly 2200 3s packs and the last 2 I have are at least 5 years old, but I never run them down and the amp draw is small, I also have a 2s 1000 that was going strong but I chargedm it wrong and it cooked,
I think like any other battery easy pulls and not running them fully down and an easy charge helps greatly with a long life, I've had others I abused and they didn't last
Apr 30, 2020, 04:02 PM
I have too many old lipos
Even tho my cellpro 10 charger says some are ok, the ability to supply more than moderate amps is severely altered
So ——Into the round file
I also have really old A123 cells which I use now in hand tools
These old cells still put out very well They are #1100 ma cells
i bought em back when they first hit the us market
My best old lipos never got used to lower than 3.7 no load
The A123 cells sometimes almost went down to zero
Which would kill lipos
May 05, 2020, 02:39 PM
"I will return" Federico
I have some Glacier 30C 8 Ah packs that have over 300 cycles on them flying IMAC sequences over the last two years with my 95" Extra that recently got me through two Advanced sequences. They were discharged at no more than 14-15C in flight and charged at 1-2C max, and always put on storage charge after the last flight.
May 05, 2020, 08:12 PM
ama 1390
original 2s 1000 mah kokam pack from hobby lobby..
still running perfectly in park fliers
May 15, 2020, 12:53 PM
Lipos are like combustion engines. Lets say you have a truck with a Cummins diesel. If you never pull any heavy loads , chances are that engine will last you quite awhile. However if you are pulling 10,000 pounds every other day it's not going to last as long as not pulling anything.
Lipos are the same . If you bought the right battery for your application it should last more than a season. However if you bought a 30c pack and it's stressed to 100 percent capacity every use , then it will not last. I have 55c packs in one of my planes , Altec Musketeer, 90" wingspan with a Turnigy Roto 180 ' I think' that draws 18amps according to my telemetry @ half throttle, which is all I need to fly because at that setting its quick. About 24amps full throttle to take off. Stressed batteries don't last , no matter the brand. However if you can fly at full throttle for 8 to 10 minutes and your battery is barely warm you are golden. Still need to take proper care in storing.
May 25, 2020, 11:39 AM
I never moved to brushless and likely never will. Oldest lithium battery in my stash is a LiFE receiver batt that I got a few years ago for a car; still using it still works fine. Pales in comparison to my engine stash where I have an 80 year old piece that works a treat...

Quick Reply