What's Your Oldest Lipo Battery?

We all know that batteries have a life and are only good for X amount of cycles. That said, I still have some batteries that are over a decade old and still going strong.

Splash

My Old Batteries Still Work Great

We all know that batteries have a life and are only good for X amount of cycles. That said, I still have some batteries that are over a decade old and still going strong. I was looking through my fireproof storage box the other day and saw some batteries back from my early days at Hobby Lobby. I'm talking that special Thunder Power 3S 730mAh pack that was awesome for the Ikarus Shockflyer and PowerWing and Enerland packs too. These packs are still running great and are in balance, at least the ones that actually have a balance connector, boy was that great technology when it came out!

I have seen people say they dispose of their batteries after a year or two and that's their choice, but if my packs are any indication, they can last a whole lot longer than you might think. Even if they do degrade to the point of useless for flight packs, they can still serve as test/setup packs for programming on the bench. Anyway, I thought it would be fun to see who had the oldest Lipo battery. Mine are easily over 10 years old, but I'm guessing someone out there has that beat. Let's see those old batteries!

Apr 22, 2020, 10:24 AM
Marion
I am using batteries purchased in December 2010. I suspect they might be showing signs of aging..

Marion
Apr 22, 2020, 10:59 AM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
I, too have 10+ year old lipos that work just fine. I've said it before: real world experience trumps theory most of the time.
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com
Apr 22, 2020, 11:18 AM
If it flies I like it.
I have a no-name 2S 700mah (5C if you can believe it!) pack with no balance connector I got from D J Aerotech in 2003 that still works fine; three Thunder Power 3S 1350mah packs I got in 2005 that are still working well; and two Etec 2S 700mah packs I got in 2006 that are still doing OK.

No way I'd toss a 2 year old LiPo unless I damaged it!
Apr 22, 2020, 12:31 PM
We shall serve the Lord
I checked and I have several batteries dated 2010 that are still nice and tight, cells balanced, sitting right at storage voltage just waiting for a good flying day.

OK, I'm a bit careful with my batteries. I only balance charge and don't exceed 1/10C. I never leave a pack charged overnight. I charge in the morning and fly that day. If I can't fly for whatever reason, I discharge all the packs down to storage voltage.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Apr 22, 2020, 04:06 PM
I have an E-Flite 3C 2200 mAh that is about 10 years old. It was in an E-Flite Extra that crashed in soybeans when the ESC died. I couldn’t find it until months later. That was over 5 years ago. On the flip side, I had some other E-Flite 4S 2800 that lasted less than 2 seasons before they were puffed up big

Regards

Bob
Apr 22, 2020, 08:47 PM
c/f
c/f
My JR transmitters Pre JR AMERICA era, all have a Thunderpower BLUE stripe 2100MAH 3s 8C battery, all still working perfectly, I have no clue of original dates but TP does, Some have been sitting idle unused in cases for 5 years and still show proper voltages.

I use the diode trick to drop it by 1.5V and charge them as a LiON because that will only charge it to 80% full. When done this way and diode in place they show 11.1VDC which is exactly what a premium SR Nicad pack back in the day would show.

It will still operate safely down to under 10 VDC, I recharge once anything below 10VDC shows up, knowing pack is actually 1.3VDC higher in reality because of diode.

I actually still look for and purchase these gems if they ever pop up, never had a dud,
Latest blog entry: EF Outlaw 3+HP.....
Apr 22, 2020, 09:24 PM
I have a Turnigy Graphene 6000 mAh battery that is a little over two years old with 284 cycles on it. Still preforms excellent!
Apr 23, 2020, 01:32 AM
have 8 year old jump starter that work just fine
Apr 23, 2020, 05:31 AM
I have 3 Turnigy 3S 2600 packs that still works fine that are close to 10 tears old. They where all left and forgotten for a couple of years fully charged as I lost the plane I used them for, and didnt find anything else for them until a couple of years ago. Also have a E-Flite 4S 3200 pack that came with my Habu that are still working great as well, think thats close to 10 years as well.
Apr 23, 2020, 05:50 PM
Jim
I have a 3s2100 TP pack that is at least 10 years old It still flys a plane! I have a couple of TP xtreme packs that will still cycle thru!
Apr 24, 2020, 12:45 PM
Resistance is futile
I have several Thunder Power batteries that I bought back in in 2006 that still work like new. I was about to recycle them until I bought a good quality battery checker and found out that there was no reason to. Old saying goes they don't make them like they used to.
Apr 24, 2020, 03:18 PM
I still have some original gens ace packs from a least 6 or more years ago that still work perfect
Apr 24, 2020, 03:27 PM
Battery Puffer
Apples to Oranges. Batteries 10 years ago you could leave fully charged for a year, had lower C rating, and lower voltage under load. Completely different chemistry as well. Also just because your battery still charges and balances, doesn't mean it's any good for real use in today's higher amp draw planes and jets. If you really want to know if your pack can handle it, Do a full throttle test using an amp meter and test it against a new battery. Old tired batteries will sag under load to an unacceptable level. I have old batteries too but they never leave the bench.
Apr 24, 2020, 03:49 PM
Mark I know its very subjective but under normal usage with storing per the instructions whats today's usage life for today's battery's?

I'm thinking based on my usage its no more then 2-3 years if your looking at getting the best out of it.

Quick Reply