Apr 12, 2005, 10:25 AM
Thread OP

Anyone tried this glider EBay Mini-Ventus Sailplane?

I just bought one of these and was wondering if anyone else has given it a try or knows anything about it.

The specs are:

Mini-ventus Glider
Wingspan: 2,617mm with winglet (103")
Length: 1,180mm (46.5")
Flying: Weight 1,800 g (63 oz.)
Wing Area: 38.4 dm sq.
Wing Loading: 46.9g / dm sq.
Radio: 3 Channel, 4 servo, Aileron, Rudder, Elevator (Not include)
Kit Features:

White Gel-coated Fiberglass fuselage
Factory covered foam wing
Detachable tail surface
Mold red fiberglass winglet
Factory installed control linkage
Motor & Propeller are included
Size 1220X240X140mm
to remove ads between posts
Apr 12, 2005, 10:27 AM
Thread OP
more pics....
Apr 12, 2005, 10:38 AM
Do a search for AMD Scorpio and you will find posts about this ship
Apr 12, 2005, 03:02 PM
Does anyone find any sense to mount a paper weight motor and a cheap folder and said its an E glider.? And the quality of this thing is well self explained. I always feel sorrow to see someone buy similar ebay plane , usually novices, and end up with a broken egg case and heap of trash, which put off their light to this hobby.

David
Apr 14, 2005, 04:55 PM
Thread OP
Wow!!! That was super fast!!! 2 days!

Here are pictures.
Is the quality prestine? no... Is the quality adequate? absolutely!

I would say this is an amazing deal (160 with shipping) from what I see so far.

People are correct about the fuselage though -- its very thin and will likely crack. But it will still be fun to get in the air. The thing is HUGE! I've included my cellphone for size in some pics.
Apr 14, 2005, 04:57 PM
Thread OP
i had bought an Ultra-Thermo glider off ebay, also from china and the quality of the monokoting on this plane is much better. i was pleasantly suprised.

more pics...
Apr 14, 2005, 04:58 PM
Thread OP
and more....
Apr 14, 2005, 04:59 PM
Thread OP
and.... more....
Apr 14, 2005, 05:01 PM
Thread OP
and still more....
Apr 14, 2005, 05:04 PM
Thread OP
i guess what really matters is how it flies and since i'm a noob at sailplanes, i probably wont notice much as long as it flies.

there is an indentation along the tail surface of the fuselage as shown in the picture. also the steel rod for the wings is very heavy -- i may have to get a carbon fiber rod or something. the wingtips are fiberglass and a little rough/uneven on the attaching edge. also the rudder isnt exactly flush with the rear of the tail.

but overall, a thumbs up from me
Apr 14, 2005, 05:20 PM
one game away...
keep us posted! i've caught myself looking at that exact plane on ebay. never made the plunge for fear of getting ripped off or getting broken plane with no customer service here in the US.

it looks nice in the pics. thanks for posting them.

matt
Apr 14, 2005, 05:28 PM
Thread OP
unlike my e-bay ultra-thermo glider which i think actually shipped from china, taking about 3 weeks to arrive this was shipped from new york (i think). they emailed me a ups tracking number and i asked them what their return policy is like. havent gotta a reply yet...
Apr 14, 2005, 07:52 PM
Thread OP
Because the instructions are almost non-existant, I have some general questions.

1. How do people thread the servo extender through their wings if their wings are foam/solid?

2. at the side of the wing where it connects to the fuselage (not pictured) there are three holes. 2 a large and are the size of a steel rod that came with it but there is only one rod. one hole is toward the front, the other is in the middle.

Do the wings of planes like this connect with only one dowel through the middle? What actually keeps the wings from coming loose other than the friction of the dowel?

Thanks
Ron
Apr 14, 2005, 11:25 PM
Your great pictures are the first I have seen of this plane. Normally a wire pull hole is formed in the foam during the construction of the wing. If not, you could melt a hole with a jigged and guided red hot welding rod as detailed in Phil Barnes vacuume bagging DVD. This could be very dangerous if not performed properly! Two small eye bolts in the butt ribs and a small rubber band works to pull the wings together.
Last edited by Culver10; Apr 15, 2005 at 01:32 AM.
Apr 15, 2005, 01:40 AM
Unless you are at or below sea level and the temperature is well below freezing, I would not try to fly it with that small motor! It might work if you launched it with a big high start and then tried the motor. If you try to huck it, it will either crash into the ground, or stall and crash trying to climb at 0.5 fpm!

Quick Reply