This thread is privately moderated by VicT, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 17, 2020, 05:59 PM
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Electro Streak conversion to brushless

The original power system had a heavy 8 ounce brushed motor bolted to the firewall and Nicad/Nimh cell packs were loaded under the wing near the CG. To remove the power pack two wing bolts had to be removed. I got my heaviest motor ( 7.6 oz Jeti Phasor 30/3 ) that would fit in the narrow nose up against the firewall. I then got my heaviest most expensive 3 cell pack ( 4000 mah Graphene) and it balanced but to save weight and cost I tried a 2200 3S pack right up against the motor. This balanced but would require a battery tray or stick. So a canopy had to be cut out.

I used a Sharpie to draw a canopy using the original black painted canopy sides but made curved corners to maximize strength in the weakened opening. Using a PVC saw I started at the rear top and finished using a fine tooth Exacto saw. 1/32 plywood support tabs were CA’d to keep he canopy from falling thru the opening. A 1/32 ply canopy sill was cut out to install later. An exhaust hole aft of the wing was cut out using a Dremel. A white plastic spoon could be cemented over the oval hole .

To reduce the cost of motor and battery I taped an Apprentice motor to the outside firewall and with a 2200 3S up against the firewall the CG was obtained. I found two bolts and the firewall holes lined up with the Apprentice motor.
A 30 amp ESC from a Kunai is connected to the motor with a blue EC3 connector.

A new model with B switch for channel 5 was set for SAFE Select On and Off and TS was bounce to an AR636 programmed by Dave A. Its the SAFE Extreme program that allows 85 degrees up, 45 down, and 60 angle of bank.
DX6 was used and Sailplane tybe with throttle for motor was chosen. Throttle was chosen for FM switch 1 and D switch for FM. Throttle modes are Speed, Cruise, and Launch, When throttle is off and D switch is in position 0 Speed mode and down elevator trim is available. In D1 Thermal mode is set with up elevator, and D2 is Land Mode with up elevator trim. Cross trim was set for easier reach with left thumb for the elevator and aileron trim.
RTF weight of fuse with 2200 3S 45C , ROHS 30 A ESC, AR 636, BL15 840 KV 13/7 cam blades, 38 mm OD smooth spinner is 687 gms or 28.3 oz. Wing with one Hobbico servo is 274 g or 9.6 oz. Total RTF=37.9 oz or 2.36 lb

A Wattmeter measured 26 amps, 284 watts, and 10.7 volts. This battery is a few years old was 50% charged and a new battery should yield more amps and volts and watts. As measured its 284/2.36 or 120 watts/lb.

Other things to complete:
Find battery Deans to EC3 battery adapter ....done
Take out Hobbico elevator servo and replace with newer digital reversed ......done
Mount the elevator servo in wing for spoileron or flaperon.
Enlarge ailerons. The old style strip ailerons are OK but flaperons that resemble modern DHLG design would be better for either flaperon or spoileron control.
Canopy sill has to be glued but epoxy jump at front and rear of canopy area has to be ground down for sill to lay flat.....done
A canopy latch from .025” or so wire should be mounted.
DX6 programmed for flaperon or spoileron on 3 postion switch to test inflight.
Dual lock Gorilla glued
Last edited by VicT; Apr 20, 2020 at 03:28 PM. Reason: More info
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2020, 12:18 AM
Thread OP
The plywood canopy sill was lightly sanded and sprayed with CA Accelerator. The fiberglass fuse centerline epoxy “bumps” were ground flat with a Dremmel. I tried to CA the sill in place as one piece but ran into buckling at the rear. Next time the sill will be cut in 2 pieces to make it easier to bond without buckling. A gap of about 2 mm at the front and back should work and will be a guide for the canopy retainer wire.
Last edited by VicT; Apr 21, 2020 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply