Aug 05, 2011, 02:34 PM
Cereal Killer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by himagain
Looking at your picture it looks like you didnt common up all the negatives (top and bottom)
David
New to this...how is his picture different than yours? I've stared for a few minutes and im not following
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2011, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by himagain
Hi Guys

Ive managed to get one of these power supplies powered up and working ok.

Its rated at 32A and I've had it running at 20A without it getting warm at all

Heres the solution ,

- Simply connect the 3 pins in the photo to ground. There are 4 grounds/negs, these are the ends of both sides of the boards.

- The 12+ is the long middle section on the top

- Connect all 4 grounds together and this is your negative

- Cover the pcb with "Magic Plastic" to prevent any shorts

And your done

Any questions give me a shout

Enjoy

David

Branflake

All the commons are connected together, i.e. all 4 ends

It isn't too clear in the the picture but the thick white wire wraps round top to bottom

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...92&postcount=7

good luck

David
Aug 06, 2011, 09:44 AM
Cereal Killer.
ahhh, there is enough exposed to wrap around the "blades" to touch both sides of the neg...i get it. Im going to try this on mine tonight.

Thanks for the clarification!
Aug 07, 2011, 01:08 PM
Cereal Killer.
Success! 12.26v and charging now. Gotta find me some silicone to cover all this up with

Thanks everyone!
Sep 01, 2011, 10:44 PM
Has anyone worked out if it is possible to turn on / off these via a switch? Like with a regular atx PSU, put a switch between the green and ground and it will turn on / off at a flick of a switch. Is that possible with these?

I want to use one of these to power the motor on my barley mill, and would be good to be able to controll via a switch!
Sep 11, 2011, 06:18 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
Sure glad I found this thread.
I bought 2 of these for less than $9.00 each.
I was to a point I thought I may have to throw my 2 power supplies out because no way I was going to figure out the pin outs.
They are not very noisy, fairly compact and works great.

Thanks someone for doing all the work.
Last edited by TheWoodCrafter; Sep 12, 2011 at 12:49 PM.
Jan 20, 2012, 05:16 AM
In reference to this article http://ohiopacket.org/files/docs/Powersup.pdf ,blade #10 (interlock 1) sould be connected to +12v blade on other side of board. Is there a reason this has been omitted in the instructions in this thread? Just wondering if there is some important feature that isn't enabled.

On page 1, looking at himagain's photos, it looks like he might have pin 10 connected to 12v. Maybe he forgot to mention it in his instuctions.
Jan 20, 2012, 11:03 AM
Limbo with 30,000V...
guitarded, from looking at the article and the pictures in this thread, it looks like he may have soldered something on that pin but took it off. I have not actually performed the conversion yet, so I cannot say if it's necessary or not. himagain, is calling that pin 13 while the article is calling it 10.
Jan 21, 2012, 05:08 PM
Just finished mine today. Wired it exactly as described and it worked like a champ. Astro charger read 12.23V and did a quick charge of a 3s 2200mAh Turnigy at 2C. So far so good.
Jan 21, 2012, 10:27 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
What ever the pin numbers are, it works perfectly just the way it is shown on page 1 of this thread.
Jan 22, 2012, 12:57 AM
Quote:
What ever the pin numbers are, it works perfectly just the way it is shown on page 1 of this thread.
Exactly my point,

The pin in question is #13 according to himagain's picture on page 1.
Notice the solder on this pin?
According to the pdf. article this pin should be soldered to the +12v pin which is located directly underneath pin 13 (on the other side of the board). It looks to me that himagain has done this but made no mention of it in his instructions.
Notice that this part of the mod is missing by everyone who has copied it using himagain's instructions.

Good to hear jroot! How noisy is it?
Has anyone tried running this PSU 25-30A ?
Last edited by guitarded; Jan 22, 2012 at 01:27 AM.
Jan 22, 2012, 04:29 PM
I have run one up to 28 amps with no problems.

I actually have eight of them around here from pulling them out of servers.
Jan 23, 2012, 12:41 AM
Thanks mt 100 for verifying. I guess I'll just mod using himagain's instructions. No sense in fussin over 1 stupid little pin.
Jan 26, 2012, 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarded
Exactly my point,

The pin in question is #13 according to himagain's picture on page 1.
Notice the solder on this pin?
According to the pdf. article this pin should be soldered to the +12v pin which is located directly underneath pin 13 (on the other side of the board). It looks to me that himagain has done this but made no mention of it in his instructions.
Notice that this part of the mod is missing by everyone who has copied it using himagain's instructions.

Good to hear jroot! How noisy is it?
Has anyone tried running this PSU 25-30A ?
Hi

Sorry for the delay, been Skiing

Ive not seen this paper before. Do be honest I worked out the pin configurations from a HP spec document and by buzzing out an old server. I've never used pin 13 and the solder you mention on the diagram is probably from me messing about on my 1st one.

As per my diagram works fine, loads of people have built them and I've done loads.

The fan is does make a bit of noise but doesn't drown out my radio in the shed.

Good luck

David
Jan 26, 2012, 03:04 AM
Thanks David!

Quick Reply