This thread is privately moderated by DHandson, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 17, 2020, 12:22 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Another father and son Guillows Lancer

My 13 year old son and I are going to build (and fly) a Guillows Lancer. I have read endless comments about how Guillows planes can't fly, but it seems a reasonable project for a first timer and so we are going to try it. Before building the plane, however, I have to build the work space. So bear with me while I do that. I managed to get agreement to use a corner of our laundry room and here is the starting point. The boards you see leaning against the wall are some cabinet grade plywood pieces I have leftover from my basement renovation. They will be used to create an "L" add on to the existing bench. Then I will make a building board consisting of flat MDF covered in two layers of 4 mm cork sheeting. That should give me enough depth to pin my balsa. The building board will be clamped to the table using some nylon hold downs I have from my wood working tools. Despite the pandemic I manged to get a local hobby shop to ship me kit and supplies. They were very helpful (Great Hobbies up here in Canada).

Couple days later finished the bench. Built 2x4 sub frame, ripped plywood top and screwed down. Son helped me build. I am using two nylon hold down clamps to hold the building board while we work. All that is left is to soft tack the cork to the building board.

August 2020
Had an interesting time building given that this was our first project. Tissue paper was a it tricky and not the neatest job, but hopefully will fly ok. On to balancing now and then trim glides.
Last edited by DHandson; Aug 11, 2020 at 08:31 AM. Reason: adding more content
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2020, 12:33 PM
Guillows can fly ! I built and flew the B-17 and PBY-5. Make it lite as possible, enjoy.

Ken
Apr 20, 2020, 11:31 AM
And You're Not
I flew a Lancer many times and had a blast with it. Tip: Don't try to overwind the rubber lest you implode the fuselage.
Apr 20, 2020, 03:39 PM
Thread OP
Thanks! Ya I am respectful of that implode risk LOL. It's my first build (well if you ignore two unfinished planes when I was 13.)
Apr 30, 2020, 03:37 PM
And You're Not
If you ever need any help or just want a 2nd opinion, shoot me a PM. I might not see your blog post, don't want you to think you're being ignored.

Quick Reply