Alpha 2M F5J Sailplane

For those looking for a more affordable way to get into F5J or in need of a smaller plane, the Alpha, sold at Soaring USA looks like a great option.

Splash

New 2M F5J Plane

For those looking for a more affordable way to get into F5J or in need of a smaller plane, the Alpha, sold at Soaring USA looks like a great option. The Alpha is a 2M sailplane with a solid core wing that is light and strong. It has a high aspect ratio along with 1.5 degrees of dihedral in the center, and 7 degrees of dihedral on the tips that make it a "mini F5J". It looks to be also well suited for sport flying and on the slope. You can expect the flying weight to end up around 500g.

Follow along on the main Alpha thread here

Purchase the Alpha 2M F5J at SoaringUSA

Specifications:

• Wingspan: 78.54 inches (1.995 m)
  • Wing Area: 443 sq. in. (28.6 dm2)
  • Airfoil AG: 44/45/46
  • Length: 45.5 in (1.155 m) w/spinner
  • Weight: 10.5 oz (300 g) empty
  • Controls: Ail-Ele-Rud-Flaps-Throttle

Apr 16, 2020, 06:50 PM
Camber down and screw it up.
It's like déjà vu all over again.

--
Greg
Last edited by gdouglas; Apr 16, 2020 at 07:14 PM.
Apr 19, 2020, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdouglas
It's like déjà vu all over again.

--
Greg
Wondering what you mean by this.
Apr 19, 2020, 10:58 AM
They don’t have a motor for it yet.
Apr 19, 2020, 01:59 PM
Camber down and screw it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratter
Wondering what you mean by this.
This is the second "2M F5J" plane that Jason has posted about recently. The other was the 'Peregrinus' or something like that.

They are too small to be competitive in F5J (typically 3.5-4m wingspan), yet too big for the proposed F5K (1.5m max wingspan) format.

I'm just not sure where they fit in, except for just fun flying (and I'm sure they're quite fun to fly), nor why they have 'F5J' in their names.

--
Greg
Apr 19, 2020, 07:35 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Greg,
Mostly cheaper options to get people started. I know a lot of guys like that who can't or won't put down for a full on 4M bird, but could swing one of these 2M and at least get out and have some fun with us at contests.
Apr 20, 2020, 07:18 AM
In the UK (and maybe other places), there is a 2M F5J league. In comps, they fly with the open class entrants to the same scoring rules, but are later listed in their own class.
I found my way into the comps this way and still enjoy it. It often seems that it is much more difficult to fly a slot out than with a bigger model, but from time to time (more luck than skill) I win the odd slot...
Apr 20, 2020, 02:03 PM
We have a number of flyers here in the Northwest who have these. I'd use my PK or Dynamic for F5J, but we have TD contests where you are allowed to fly either electric or winch planes. Wether that is a good idea or not, and there are plenty of opinions, it does help keep attendance up. We have Open and 2meter classes. Up till now 2 meter has been almost exclusively populated by Vladimir's Sprites. But for the last few years they became unavailable. I think that they may have become available again, but the price is getting a bit silly. The Model A is interesting alternative. I only got a handful of flights on mine before we all got grounded. It's two thirds the weight of the Sprite, a bit less wing area (harder to see at distance). I still have my Sprite for windy conditions, but my intention is to use the Model A for early morning rounds. We'll see, but so far it's a hoot to fly.
And besides that Vitalii is an absolute pleasure to deal with, the build quality of the plane is top notch.
Apr 22, 2020, 03:19 AM
stefan
I ordered one for thermaling behind the house and light air in the mountains before its time to throw out the larger and heavier planes. I think everyone with a serious intention to fly F5J competitively quickly notices that these competitions are not won by 2m planes. However, I think these class suffixes give a bit of a guidance to buyers to know what to expect from the plane. With F5J meaning light electric glider for thermaling, I think its a fair description for that one.
On the other hand, I fly F5J competitively, but only have one competitive plane (Plus X/Minus) - nobody can prevent me from taking that one out as a backup.
Apr 22, 2020, 07:47 AM
Looks like a good TALES option!
Apr 25, 2020, 04:42 PM
A couple of videos in detail about the glider.
26 квітня 2020 р. (3 min 19 sec)

26 квітня 2020 р. (5 min 21 sec)
May 02, 2020, 04:34 PM
Lifehack!
Today I conducted small tests in calm weather with a modified pin angle in the middle of the wing. The base angle is 2 degrees. For the wind, this is very good. For quiet weather, the model is already very active! I want more peace. No problem said the aluminum pin and succumbed to a little effort!You need to bend with the help of two tubes. Now we have 5 degrees in the middle of the wing and 7 degrees at the tips! Who already has my glider, experiment with the angle and describe your feelings!
Last edited by VITALIY; Jun 10, 2020 at 08:51 AM.
Jun 29, 2020, 12:15 PM
Time for me to Fly...
We have a local contest class we call TALES. Upon looking that this plane, it looks perfect. I would like to have the higher dihedral angle. I’m sure I could bend one but I’d still need the tubes to do that. What size are they and what are they made out of?
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
Jun 29, 2020, 03:43 PM
Contact Vitalii, he's now offering a wing rod set with 5 pieces. They range from 3 to 7 degrees. Also, he now offers some beautiful wing bags too.
Jun 29, 2020, 03:47 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgas64
Contact Vitalii, he's now offering a wing rod set with 5 pieces. They range from 3 to 7 degrees. Also, he now offers some beautiful wing bags too.
So have you flown the Alpha? Again, I’m interested in the plane but I’d like to read some end user reviews.
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest

Quick Reply