Jan 10, 2021, 01:30 AM
Just Toss It !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ek123
....... what was the layup for the mold?
Eusebio
You have your notepad ready?
Here ya go ( all fiberglass):

One layer of 0.75 oz veil
2 layers of 3.25 oz
4 layers of 6 oz
2 layers of 7 oz
One layer of 3.25 oz cover

That's 48.5 oz / sq yd in cross section altogether.

BTW .....how's it going under that rock?!
Last edited by MATIN; Jan 10, 2021 at 03:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2021, 11:43 AM
wow, looks great,,, mold and first fuse..wow
Jan 10, 2021, 12:30 PM
I know Brian said this wasn’t the buy/build thread, but I’d be down for one when that time comes.
Jan 10, 2021, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATIN

BTW .....how's it going under that rock?!
Thanks Matin for the layup info. Life under the rock is more than a bit boring but hey it's still life, of a sort
Jan 10, 2021, 03:36 PM
That friggin Laird Guy
Thread OP
Great, now I have to build one to make sure everything is aligned and make the plans. I was kinda enjoying my vacation from making planes.
Jan 10, 2021, 04:39 PM
Hold my beer and watch this
Great work Matin!
Jan 10, 2021, 05:24 PM
It's not going to build itself
Heavy are the shoulders that bear the burden.
Jan 12, 2021, 01:49 AM
Just Toss It !!!
And then there were two :

It's not a virus ..... So it's replicating at a slow pace!
Jan 12, 2021, 02:18 AM
It's not going to build itself
If Brian is building one of them, I could be building the other.
Jan 12, 2021, 02:21 AM
Great work Matin! Can you show us how the seam is made between the two fuse halves? I see you've made clever tools to reach the seams, but how do the FG layers lay-up to form an overlap? Do you cut the cloth flush and apply seam tape?
Dave
never been near a mould
Jan 12, 2021, 04:34 AM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATIN
And then there were two :
Nice moulding work Matin!

What layup for the part(s)?

Jim,

Who has not made a mould, or a part out of a mould, for years!.....................
Jan 12, 2021, 09:10 PM
Just Toss It !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Point
Great work Matin! Can you show us how the seam is made between the two fuse halves? I see you've made clever tools to reach the seams, but how do the FG layers lay-up to form an overlap? Do you cut the cloth flush and apply seam tape?
Dave
never been near a mould
The method and tools you see are not my invention.....Smarter people than me figures this all out decades ago.

It does not use a seam tape. Instead each half of the fuselage will overlap the other half.

The principal is that the glass laid in a mold half is cut flush with one edge, and a little proud on the opposite edge ( you can see that in the "Open" image on the left).
When the two halves are brought together (carefully!) the proud glass on one mold half will cover the flush glass on the other mold half.

One of the tools you saw earlier is a seam roller that is used to press that "proud" glass down to achieve a structural bond between the two halves. The other is a small mirror for peeking inside the mold where you don't have a clear line-of-sight.
Jan 13, 2021, 01:03 PM
Living on the Dark Side.
Very nice fuselages Matin. Sharp work.
Jan 13, 2021, 01:09 PM
The picture's worth a thousand words! Nice work Matin!
Jan 13, 2021, 01:33 PM
That's how it's done! All these years, and I've never seen it explained so well! I wouldn't have expected the lay-up to be stiff enough to stand vertical and "proud" like that, and doing it on opposing sides so you enter at an angle, not straight down..clever! Certainly a careful move to align the halves together.
You're bringing me closer to becoming a mold maker.
thanks
Dave

Quick Reply