Flite Test Balsa Basics Simple Cub Electric Airplane Kit

Here's your next project, the Flite Test Balsa Basics Simple Cub. Yes Flite Test has more than just foamy kits and this would be a great way to jump into balsa building.

Splash

Flite Test Balsa Cub

Here's your next project, the Flite Test Balsa Basics Simple Cub. Yes Flite Test has more than just foamy kits and this would be a great way to jump into balsa building. You'll find the stiffness and weight compared to foam to offer great flying characteristics and it will last a lot longer as long as you avoid crashing. Sure crash repairs will be more challenging than repairing foam, but it's still possible. Here's more about the plane below.

This is the Simple Cub balsa kit from Balsa Basics. The Balsa Simple Cub is the start of a new phase for the Vintage Model Company. The Balsa Basics Series is envisioned as a ‘next step’ for those wanting to venture into more traditional model aviation materials without intimidation. Balsa has a reputation for being hard to get into, complex and fragile. The Vintage Model Company has therefore teamed up with the Flite Test to bring you this new range of simple, robust and fun flyers made primarily of wood. As with Flite Test's foam board, the Balsa Simple Cub goes together with common build techniques. This model will teach you how traditional model aircraft go together with chunky wing ribs and fuselage formers that slot together without the need for a printed plan. This speeds ups your build time meaning you can have a virtually finished airframe ready for covering in just a couple of hours.

The Cub is an ideal trainer. Being a 3-channel aircraft, you can develop your skills from the ground up. Most of the time the Cub is happiest cruising along at minimum throttle, however, it can also perform basic aerobatics such as loops and wingovers. Flight times with the recommended battery can be up to 20 minutes on calm days. With a large 1000mm wingspan, you’ll also be able to take on windier conditions.

Specifications:

• Wingspan: 42" / 1070mm
  • Build Skill Level: Absolute Beginner
  • Flying Skill Level: Absolute Beginner
  • Channels: 3 (throttle, rudder and elevator)
  • Power System: Electric Brushless
  • Recommended Motor Size: 2212-1050kV (approximately 150w)
  • Propeller Size: 9x4.5
  • Recommended ESC Size: 35A
  • Recommended Battery:1000mah-1500mah 3s 30c Lipo

Kit Contents Include:

• (1) Sheet of 3mm Plywood parts
  • (7) Sheets of balsa parts
  • Landing gear wire
  • Push rod wire
  • Control horns
  • Thin wooden dowel

Needed to Complete:

• (1) Brushless Motor: Flite Test B Radial or 370 Size, 1200kV Minimum
  • (1) Propeller: 9x4.5
  • (1) ESC: 20-30 Amp
  • (1+) Battery: 3S 11.1V LiPo 1300mAh
  • (3) Servos: ~9 Gram Micro Servos
  • (1) 2.75" Wheels (FLT-2054)
  • (1) 2.4GHZ Radio System (Radio & Receiver)
  • Spektrum: DX6e Radio System
  • Futaba: 6J Radio System
  • Covering Material
  • Covering Iron
  • Misc. Building Supplies.

Check out the Flite Test Balsa Basics Simple Cub Electric Airplane Kit Here

Apr 15, 2020, 06:28 AM
Not Insane
Looks like the old Stevens AeroModel Squirt trainer. That came without ailerons but you could order an aileron wing as well. The rubber band landing gear it had was bullet proof. It was a very quick build.

Dan
Apr 17, 2020, 08:43 PM
Do you think that a 1/2 a engine will be enough to power this?
Apr 19, 2020, 01:40 AM
lost in the addiction of flyin
Nice plane. Every beginner needs reliable easy plane to build, fly, and land. Only thing is this planes landing gear is located to close to the cg of the plane. Take offs maybe ok but students will have fits trying to land the plane without it flipping over.
Apr 20, 2020, 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Rondeau
Do you think that a 1/2 a engine will be enough to power this?
I think it's made for only electric, a 1/2 might be over kill
Apr 20, 2020, 02:37 PM
Pro Hoarder
Based on the size and spec given a 049 to 051 1/2 A would be under kill.. But I would think it would fly fine. just keep the weight down as much as possible.
They list a 150 watt electrc motor. A half A will be half of that
Latest blog entry: In flight
Apr 21, 2020, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
Based on the size and spec given a 049 to 051 1/2 A would be under kill.. But I would think it would fly fine. just keep the weight down as much as possible.
They list a 150 watt electrc motor. A half A will be half of that
Thanks for your feedback! I did notice that because this kit is designed for beginners that the construction seems more simple, and therefore heavier, but I wasn't sure how much. I have seen plans for balsa airplanes that have 1m wingspans that were designed for 1/2 a engines. I guess the search continues
Apr 25, 2020, 11:28 AM
I noticed that the construction is similar to the willie nille kits, with the self squaring wing and easy built fuse, these new building techniques are a great improvement to the wood building world, with foam kits getting more complex and the wood built getting easier, it shows that things can start balancing out, not to mention cost, wood or foam it cost the same to cut the kit. the thing I like best is the wood will outlast the foam,
there are several planes that could easily be redesigned for this type of building and put back in the market, one of which could easily compete with the gp sporster. I've contacted flite test directly but the response was coorporate to say the least it might be better to buy the equipment or find a someone with a laser cutter that would be interested in the project and add planes to their list.

Quick Reply