Apr 02, 2002, 03:55 PM

SR-71 Hobby Labs R/C rocket plane to electric

has any one converted on of these to E-power yet?
Perry
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2002, 04:08 PM
I think Thomas B mentioned he had one planned, but I know he's pretty busy right now. Do a search on it as I think there might have been another person or two with the same thought.
Apr 02, 2002, 07:27 PM
Registered Lifeform
Tom and I have discussed this quite a bit, and basically think it could be done. I converted one of the original rocket-powered kits with a Cox Black Widow .049 and 6" pusher prop mounted in the rear of the fuselage. It actually flew pretty well, and was carrying a fair amount of dead weight. (the central tube for the rocket)

It will need a powerful drive system- probably a small brushless motor. A lot of people seem to think that a speed 400 can substitute for a hot 1/2A glow motor. They could not be more wrong!

Paul
Aug 30, 2008, 07:26 AM
Good morning

I want the plan of the R/C rocket plane, "Ladyhawk". this plane was published in R/C Modeler magazine, Oct. 1993 issue. cdabalsa@ibest.com.br
Aug 30, 2008, 12:33 PM
I beleive Steve Neil (sp?) converted one of these with an Astro Flight 020 direct drive and fixed gear. If I remember correctly he did his before the LiPo days so it's easly doable now. The 020 is a 200 watt motor.
Aug 30, 2008, 12:54 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Yah, but I remember that Thomas B tried it with fans and it was a bit challenging- think he basically just used the top half which is going to be well nigh impossible with the rocket kit. I think it might be possible with EDF 40s (don't think the 30s have enough oomph), but that means making new nacelles and some surgery.

Sam
Aug 30, 2008, 03:07 PM
I bought one 6 or 8 years ago with thoughts of converting it to edf. The technology just wasen't there ... getting enough power through those small nacells.
Still waiting.