Flying Wing Buratinu Midi 1000

RCGroups wersy shares the Burantinu wing...

Splash

3D Print Buratinu Midi 1000

This is a scaled-down version of the Buratinu. Instead of a span of 1300 mm the Midi version has a span of 1000 mm. The special thing about this version is that all parts of the outer wing, i.e. W3 to W6 as well as the elevons are identical to the large version which are included here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3047415

Or in case you can print larger, you can take the parts from here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3857570

This version does not require any parts to be glued, except for the elevons. Provided, of course, that the connectors fit tightly, in principle, all wing parts can be plugged with carbon tubes and tied together with a string, as has already been proven with the Red Swept Wing. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1547267

The big advantage of this is that you do not only need to replace individual parts if they are damaged. You can also use the parts for the original Buratinu, but then the parts have to be glued!

However done, glued or not glued, the wing halves are plugged and screwed to the fuselage. Two 8 mm carbon tubes are used, each 137 mm long. The remaining dimensions of the carbon tubes can be found at the original Buratinu. Also the print settings are listed there.

Please note! There was no opportunity to fly it yet. That's why I can't say anything about its flying characteristics. But it will be much more sensitive to elevon deflections, because the smaller model has the same size elevons as the much bigger original Buratinu. Therefore I can only recommend to start with a maximum deflection of 8 mm. For the ailerons rather less and move slowly and fly wide-ranging. Expo should be at least 50%.

Specifications

• airfoils: own design
  • wing span: 1000 mm
  • wing chord: 284/140 mm
  • CoG: 190 mm from rear edge of the fuselage
  • overall weight: 820 g
  • wing area: 20 dmē
  • wing loading: 41 g/dmē
  • motor: Propdrive 28-36 1000KV
  • propeller: Aeronaut CAM Aeronaut Carbon Classic 10 x 6"
  • battery: Turnigy 1300 mAh 3S
  • motor camber: -4°

You can download the files on Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4280142

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Apr 16, 2020 at 11:54 AM..
Apr 12, 2020, 11:40 AM
Ray
Michael,

That looks awesome! I really like the 1m size. I'm almost finished the 1m sized Speedy Red Midi and hope to get it in the air soon. I think the Buratinu Midi will be next. Of course right now everything is so weather dependent.

Ray
Apr 13, 2020, 11:29 AM
Ray
So I started printing the fuselage sections and when I went to join them together I noticed that a section of each was shifted as you can see in the photo. I looked at the stl and the gcode viewer file and they look perfectl Something seemed to have hiccuped right in the middle of the print, like it lost orientation. I printed the W2 file and it looks fine. I think I may be able to use it as it is but may try printing it again. Anyone have any ideas what would cause this?

Ray
Apr 13, 2020, 01:03 PM
Thread OP
Hi, Ray,

This is extreme layer offset.
It looks like it always happens at the holes. There are always travel moves at the holes.
If the speed is set too high for travel moves, it can happen that the motor loses steps.

There are several ways to prevent this.
- reduce total speed
- reduce travel move speed
- reduce acceleration and jerk
- increase the current of the stepper motor that generates the step errors.

I see you used black filament.
I strongly advise you to use blackPLA only for testing.
Once exposed to intense sunlight, it will curl. Thin-walled prints will curl within five minutes.
But even a 1 mm thick hull can be deformed in the sun.
Take a look at the elliptical wing, which was only briefly in the sun to take some pictures.

I hope I could help.
Have fun printing!

Michael
Apr 13, 2020, 02:12 PM
Ray
Thanks Michael. I'll take a look at those settings and heed your advice about black filament.

Ray

Update: You were spot on, Michael! I checked all my settings related to speed and several were very high. Not sure how they got set so high as I had them set in a default profile for the Ender 5. Bottom line, I reset them and re-printed, in white filament, and they came out great. Printing wing sections now.
Last edited by raybea528; Apr 14, 2020 at 07:16 AM. Reason: status update
Apr 16, 2020, 07:01 AM
Thread OP
Hi Ray,

For more information I have added a picture with the lengths and positioning of the carbon tubes.
As long as all connections are tight enough the tubes do not need to be glued.
Then it is sufficient to feed a string through the tubes and clamp them together with luster clamps.

Michael
Last edited by wersy; Apr 16, 2020 at 07:16 AM.
Apr 16, 2020, 08:01 AM
Ray
Thanks Michael! That helps tremendously and I was able to quickly assemble the Buratinu Midi. This looks to be a really sweet flyer! I just ordered a propdrive 2836 and folding prop for it so may be a little while before I get to fly it. Of course, I may get the parts before the weather cooperates.

Ray
Last edited by raybea528; Apr 16, 2020 at 09:09 AM.
Apr 16, 2020, 02:38 PM
Flying Low
Very neat looking.
Apr 17, 2020, 07:56 AM
Thread OP

Great!

Hi, Ray,

Fabulous, I'm thrilled!
The colours white and orange fit beautifully with each other.

How come you always finish my models so quickly. You'd think you were printing with two printers at the same time

Have you ever thought about rebuilding your motor so that you can mount it on the front side?
All you have to do is loosen and move the shaft.
But you still have to wait for the folding propeller.

In the time you have to wait for the parts, you could print an even smaller Buratinu (Mini 860). You only need another fuselage, all other parts you already have.
What do you think?

Michael
Apr 17, 2020, 10:30 AM
Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnes0061
Very neat looking.
Thanks! Credit goes to Michael for a nicely engineered plane. Form and function combined.

Ray
Apr 17, 2020, 10:42 AM
Ray
Finished the Buratinu Midi this morning!

Weight without battery is 730g. Weight with a 1000ma battery came to 826. It almost balances at the CG without the battery. The motor I used had no markings on it but I think it's a PowerUp Zoom or similar from HeadsUpRc which is no longer in business. I had to reverse the shaft to install it within the fuselage. I routed the motor wires right down the 'keel' at the bottom of the fuselage and they should easily avoid rubbing on the can. I used 40lb fishing line routed through the CF tubes to hold it together without using glue. The weather here is the gating item for a first flight. Winds and rain and maybe some snow forecasted for next couple of days. Spring time in Connecticut. Anxious to see how she flies!

Ray
Apr 17, 2020, 10:52 AM
Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by wersy
Hi, Ray,

Fabulous, I'm thrilled!
The colours white and orange fit beautifully with each other.

How come you always finish my models so quickly. You'd think you were printing with two printers at the same time

Have you ever thought about rebuilding your motor so that you can mount it on the front side?
All you have to do is loosen and move the shaft.
But you still have to wait for the folding propeller.

In the time you have to wait for the parts, you could print an even smaller Buratinu (Mini 860). You only need another fuselage, all other parts you already have.
What do you think?

Michael
Must have read your mind about the motor! I'll consider the mini. I'm partial to sizes between 36" and 48". So I have a challenge for you. All of your planes that I know about, have front mounted motors. Have you considered a flying wing with a rear mounted motor? A little more sweep and a motor mount might work. Might need to be made with LW-PLA to achieve balance at the CG.

Ray
Apr 17, 2020, 08:45 PM
Ray
Michael,
I looked for the Buratinu 860 on thingiverse but didn't find it. I decided to give it a go.

Ray
Apr 21, 2020, 02:14 PM
Hi!
I'm curious as to which printers are you using, I am in Costa Rica and we have some models that could be nice to print in 3D for sunday fliers.
REgards,
Patricio
Apr 21, 2020, 05:17 PM
Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFlier
Hi!
I'm curious as to which printers are you using, I am in Costa Rica and we have some models that could be nice to print in 3D for sunday fliers.
REgards,
Patricio
I'm using a Creality Ender 5 Pro. My first printer which I just got a couple of months ago. Pleased with it so far.

Ray

Quick Reply