Apr 10, 2020, 06:41 PM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Thread OP
Discussion

Australia "on the cusp of defeating the Corona Virus

Looks like all the measures put in place here are working, new cases falling rapidly

Australia 'on the cusp' of defeating the coronavirus (1 min 51 sec)
Apr 10, 2020, 06:44 PM
That's a good news, being an island has advantages!
Last edited by coriolan; Apr 10, 2020 at 08:32 PM.
Apr 10, 2020, 06:48 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Good news indeed. Don't open the country back up to international travelers though, until it has run it's course world wide.
Apr 10, 2020, 06:52 PM
God I hope so as you guys fire was enough for ya.
Apr 10, 2020, 06:55 PM
Jester's Dead, Yee Haw!
That's great news.
Apr 10, 2020, 06:59 PM
Figure Nine Champ
Good to hear!
Apr 10, 2020, 07:00 PM
Thread OP
Trend curve looks very promising,

Stay safe
Apr 10, 2020, 08:12 PM
Crikey mate that's good news.
Apr 10, 2020, 09:40 PM
Honestly, I think we've been very lucky over here and dodged a bullet.

Inaction by all governments in this country has been offset to some degree by our environment and lifestyle reducing just how fast it initally spread.

Early March they were still promoting mass gatherings (see image) and the Ruby Princess was dropping off sick passengers and taking on another load of passengers for a 10 day cruise.

With a stroke of luck they should soon be able to open travel up in a "radius from home" manner based on where you live, or at least open up travel within your town/city. Between city/town travel needs to be off the cards for a while yet...
Apr 10, 2020, 09:46 PM
Thread OP
Yep, mistakes were made.

Circumstances and a majority with general attitude of doing the right thing definitely a positive influence.
Apr 11, 2020, 12:40 AM
But But But... what about bin isolation outings? Are those going to end?
Apr 11, 2020, 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_75au
Yep, mistakes were made.

Circumstances and a majority with general attitude of doing the right thing definitely a positive influence.
You're being generous, I don't think by March that the decisions they were making were "mistakes".

About the only thing our State and Federal government's have been able to organise is to borrow boatloads of money, pass laws restricting population movement and have the police readied to enforce those laws.

Really, it's people "doing the right thing" staying at home and social distancing that's doing all the heavy lifting...

I had to visit my mother in hospital in early March, and on both visits the ONLY person (staff, visitor or patient) I saw at the Toowoomba Hospital from the carpark to the surgical ward and back again on both visits was me. They had plenty of hand sanitiser stations, but I stuck out like a sore thumb..
Apr 11, 2020, 03:55 AM
Suspended Account
The trends for you guys shown on John Hopkins do look very promising - which is great to hear.

We are still spiking like crazy!
Apr 11, 2020, 04:51 AM
Yes, things are looking very promising over here, although most of our growth is/was due to what we were "importing" from overseas.(see graphic) Community transfer has been fairly low. Although our testing criteria had been excluding testing people that don't have symptoms and haven't returned from overseas and haven't had contact with a known case, so that graph will have testing bias.

We have another couple of "rescue" flights bringing in more confirmed cases in the next few days, so our daily case numbers may not truly reflect what's happening within our society during this time.

Without wanting to come across as haughty or whatnot, but the talk about "fighting" this things and "winning" really is just talk. It's like a cyclone, we aren't going to stop it or slow it down by standing shoulder to shoulder and "fighting", we have to cower in our bunkers until it blows over or we develop something that we can negate it's effect.

Run, shelter and hide is certainly a less marketable message though.
Last edited by bjr_93tz; Apr 11, 2020 at 05:04 AM.
Apr 11, 2020, 05:11 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjr_93tz
Yes, things are looking very promising over here, although most of our growth is/was due to what we were "importing" from overseas.(see graphic) Community transfer has been fairly low. Although our testing criteria had been excluding testing people that don't have symptoms and haven't returned from overseas and haven't had contact with a known case, so that graph will have testing bias.

We have another couple of "rescue" flights bringing in more confirmed cases in the next few days, so our daily case numbers may not truly reflect what's happening within our society during this time.

Without wanting to come across as haughty or whatnot, but the talk about "fighting" this things and "winning" really is just talk. It's like a cyclone, we aren't going to stop it or slow it down by standing shoulder to shoulder and "fighting", we have to cower in our bunkers until it blows over or we develop something that we can negate it's effect.

Run, shelter and hide is certainly a less marketable message though.
Always good to use emotive 'patriotic' 'The Enemy' style talk when trying to get the public on side.

Quick Reply