Apr 08, 2020, 05:56 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Weighted blades vs. Non-weighted

What is the difference between weighted blades and non-weighted blades for flying? Is one more stable than the other more steady in the air still able to do flips and rolls etc
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2020, 09:17 AM
FL, Sanford
Based on my experience, weighted blades provide better stability and faster forward/backward/sideways flight while non-weighted ones allow quicker response to control input, faster roll/flips. In general, heli is more twitchy with non-weighted blades.
Apr 09, 2020, 10:10 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecking Ball
Based on my experience, weighted blades provide better stability and faster forward/backward/sideways flight while non-weighted ones allow quicker response to control input, faster roll/flips. In general, heli is more twitchy with non-weighted blades.
Good to know! Thank you! Now I can pick which blades I want to use thank you.
Apr 09, 2020, 10:38 AM
Both weighted (aka "bullet blades") and non-weighted blades are capable of acrobatics, assuming that they have a symmetrical or semi-symmetrical airfoil.

While, as a general rule, bullet blades are more stable and less "twitchy", some hardcore 3D pilots prefer them.
Apr 09, 2020, 12:32 PM
Thread OP
Cool thank you
Apr 10, 2020, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnik
Both weighted (aka "bullet blades") and non-weighted blades are capable of acrobatics, assuming that they have a symmetrical or semi-symmetrical airfoil.

While, as a general rule, bullet blades are more stable and less "twitchy", some hardcore 3D pilots prefer them.
Name a few brands you would consider bullet blades?
and non-weighted blades?
Apr 10, 2020, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suckerpunch
Name a few brands you would consider bullet blades?
and non-weighted blades?
Plenty of companies (e.g. MicroHeli) make both.
Apr 10, 2020, 12:41 PM
Many blades are weighted. It is for stability in the blade itself. It moves the cg forward of the center of pressure and helps prevent flutter, and in maintaining a proper lead\lag angle. The blade wants to straighten out through the cg of the blade. Without weight most blades would have too much mass aft of the ideal location and fly with the tip angled forward.
The all plastic blades on micro helicopters usually did not have weights in them. Manufactures started placing those "bullets" on the blades. I have never flown those.
Apr 11, 2020, 12:54 PM
ticedoff
I assume this all relates to really small RC helicopters.
Once you get into a heli that uses blades that are 300mm and longer, there is no weights being added and they are almost all made from carbon fiber.
Also, unless you seek out a boutique manufacturer of blades for a scale model of a helicopter, all the blades you find on the market today are fully symmetrical. If the blade is "semi-symmetrical", it is designed for upright flight only (like a scale helicopter).

Once you get past the micro / mini RC heli with simple plastic blades, there are commonly two type of blades: Blades designed for flybar equipped head and and blades designed for flybarless equipped heads.
The main difference is the CG of the blade.
A FB blade is less stable than an FBL blade.
This is because the FB adds so much cyclic stability to the head that the blade needs to be less stable to get decent cyclic agility.
With an FBL controller, the blade needs to be more stable and then you tune the head's agility electronically.

I fly FB blades on my FBL head and then dial the agility from mild to wild in the controller.

Quick Reply