This thread is privately moderated by Cox PT-19, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 08, 2020, 08:35 AM
Kim
Thread OP
Discussion

Scientific Model Airplane Company's "Zipper"

Got all these projects waiting...in various degrees of storage ranging from "Cold", to "Warm", to "Hot" status.

So naturally, the smart and prudent thing to do is---start ANOTHER project!

Back to the past yet again...my Scientific Model Airplane Company's "Zipper" building notes from the Cox Engine Forum:

So, Bob's one little, though enthusiastic, comment about his fondness for Walt Musciano's 1/2A "Zipper" was just enough to push me over the edge into starting one. Went to bed thinking about it...drank coffee this morning thinking about it, so what the heck...

I built the original Scientific kit back in 1969 or so, powering it with the Babe Bee from my PT-19 QZ. A couple decades ago, I got a copy of the plan sheet, along with a nice note from the Man himself, Mr. Musciano. Been talking about building it since then.

Now, in the midst of a shop totally cluttered with tapes, dope cans, and spray equipment, I've started cutting templates from the 10% enlarged copies I made from the original plan sheet. I wanted this Zipper to be a bit larger, as I remembered the original to be better suited for a healthy .020, instead of the Babe Bee that took it around the circle like a combat wing.

Anyway, we'll see how this goes along. So far, the whole "Social Distancing" thing has turned the shop and front yard into a booming model airplane flying, dope spraying, resurrection of stalled projects, and engine test-running affair.

Everybody take care and stay healthy,
Dopey Hermit Kim
to remove ads between posts
Apr 08, 2020, 02:32 PM
If you are interested in 1/2A size planes I have a collection of nearly 100 plans mostly in pdf format (60.5 Mb).
Apr 10, 2020, 04:46 AM
Kim
Thread OP
COOL...I may be contacting you!
Thank You, Kim
Last edited by Cox PT-19; Apr 10, 2020 at 03:50 PM.
Apr 10, 2020, 11:45 AM
Anytime you will be wellcome
Apr 11, 2020, 12:46 AM
I enclose a list so you can choose. I did add also the Ace GLH II
Last edited by eagle60; Apr 11, 2020 at 07:28 AM.
Apr 15, 2020, 12:49 AM

catamaran cruiser

Image from a forum
Apr 25, 2020, 02:45 PM
Kim
Thread OP

Scientific Model Airplane Company's "Zipper" Getting Closer

So, it was Zipper's turn for some attention today, though to be accurate, the project has been progressing in the past week.

I didn't want to post an update with every (to paraphrase my grandma) "piddly thing" I did with the model, and waited 'till I had a small group of them. It's cowling was mostly finished, and the main gear and struts installed. I spun Zipper's wheels from some scrap ply, and am pretty happy with them. A coat of black dope got them REAL close to those I remember in the original Scientific kit.

Then, I had a "dry assembly" to fire my imagination a bit. I'm betting that Bob and others may get the same "flash-back" surge as I did while looking at Zipper's bare bones. And...it MIGHT have happened that Zipper may have pulled a couple loops in the shop while I made airplane noises...

Quick Reply