Sailplane Contest You Can Do from Home!

Jody Miller came up with some ideas to help get us outside and flying in a friendly internet based competition right here on RCGroups.

Splash

Get Out and Fly!

With events and contests being cancelled left and right and Shelter in Place orders being handed out, you might be more than a little disappointed about missing out on the fun. Well, smile because the majority of Stay at Home orders include going out for recreational activity as an essential service that is permitted so long as social distancing guidelines are met. That means you are perfectly fine to go outside and fly your sailplanes where we are always away from others anyway. With that mind, Jody Miller came up with some ideas to help get us out there and flying in a friendly internet based competition right here on RCGroups.

I'll link to the main thread below, but I wanted to get this into an article to help spread the word so others can participate too. The contest has simple rules and will take place on the weekends. This weekend is for F5J planes with the task being to get the lowest launch with a 25 minute flight. That sounds challenging and fun! You are on the honor system, but this is a great way to get out and fly with a purpose and participate with others around the world. Each weekend will have a different contest for different formats. Next weekend is F3K with the most consecutive 2 minute flights. I can't wait! Be sure to click the link below to go to the main thread and chime in to let everyone know you are going to participate.

Check out the main competition thread here

Apr 07, 2020, 11:18 AM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Thanks Jason, sounds like fun, I plan to participate. A week and a half ago we also started the One-on-One F5J postal series. The RCG thread is sticky here at the top of this section. Our first week's results are posted. Everyone is invited to join our series, too!

Chris
Apr 14, 2020, 08:56 AM
What make a sailplane "F5J"? This website (http://www.f5j-usa.com/f5j-primer/) makes it sound like it's just a set of rules? Just curious. Love the look of sailplanes and just starting to get into them finally. Only really owned a Radian before this.
Apr 14, 2020, 09:19 AM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar
What make a sailplane "F5J"?
F5J is an FAI (FÉDÉRATION AÉRONAUTIQUE INTERNATIONALE https://www.fai.org ) competition class. Basically it is meant for electric RC gliders (aka like your Radian) that have an altitude recording switch connected in between the receiver and the speed controller. The switch detects the operation of the throttle and then after the flight reads out a "start hight" that is 10 seconds after the throttle was chopped after the motor climb. That start height is used in computing the flight score.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Apr 14, 2020, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
F5J is an FAI (FÉDÉRATION AÉRONAUTIQUE INTERNATIONALE https://www.fai.org ) competition class. Basically it is meant for electric RC gliders (aka like your Radian) that have an altitude recording switch connected in between the receiver and the speed controller. The switch detects the operation of the throttle and then after the flight reads out a "start hight" that is 10 seconds after the throttle was chopped after the motor climb. That start height is used in computing the flight score.

Ryan
Interesting. So it could be any electric glider (like the Sophisticated Lady I just picked up and am converting to electric) as long as it's got that motor cutoff device. Cool.
Apr 14, 2020, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar
Interesting. So it could be any electric glider (like the Sophisticated Lady I just picked up and am converting to electric) as long as it's got that motor cutoff device. Cool.
There are some other design limitations (span has to be under 4 meters the sort of thing) but they are pretty extreme so pretty much any glider would qualify. At the Nats this past summer there was a contestant flying a Radian. The Sophisticated Lady would be fine as well. I fly an Allegro Lite.

Ryan
Apr 14, 2020, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
There are some other design limitations (span has to be under 4 meters the sort of thing) but they are pretty extreme so pretty much any glider would qualify. At the Nats this past summer there was a contestant flying a Radian. The Sophisticated Lady would be fine as well. I fly an Allegro Lite.

Ryan
I'm surprised. That appears to be just a rudder/elevator plane also. I would have thought anyone really into it would want flaps/spoilers, etc... The whole shebang. Eventually I'll probably buy one of those if I decide to compete but maybe the advantage is less than I would have guessed. Dunno.
Apr 14, 2020, 01:24 PM
I think I came in last place. My point was that any plane could enter the event. Now what would be most competitive probably would be the kind of stuff you see in the picture at the top of this thread. But just to try it out about any glider would work.

Ryan

Quick Reply