Apr 03, 2020, 09:42 PM
acw
acw
Thread OP
Discussion

Where can I fly a 4m electric?

Hello everyone,

I recently got back to our wonderful hobby and look forward to joining SBSS.

With shelter in place in full swing, it is getting difficult to find a place to fly. I just finished and look to maiden a 4m electric (Finesse Max from Valenta model). I wanted to fly it at Los Banos but I called the park today and they are now closed indefinitely. I looked at Baylands park today. It would be OK for some DLG but definitely too small for a 4m electric.

I guess I could have gone Tomcats but the road is closed. Windy hills? Yes, closed as well.

Any idea where I could fly this thing?

Thanks for any suggestion.

Arnaud
[email protected]
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2020, 01:44 PM
Arnaud, welcome back to the hobby. You could probably fly your ship at Brigantino Park in Hollister, though I have not been there since the state-wide lock down went into effect a couple weeks ago. Maybe some others can chime in?

Randy
Apr 04, 2020, 02:26 PM
Arnaud,
We used to fly at Union middle school. https://goo.gl/maps/iFt7ef6VpiLCbhv8A If you go in by the rear of the field they did not used to be able to lock the gate. It's not a large field but will work for a 4M ship.
-tim
Apr 04, 2020, 05:26 PM
acw
acw
Thread OP
Awesome. Will give those 2 a try. Thanks Tim and Randy.
Apr 09, 2020, 02:19 PM
Unclsky

Brigantino Park

Hi,
Does anyone know if Brigantino Park in Hollister, is open for practice?
thanks,
Ron
Apr 09, 2020, 10:16 PM
Ron,
Call the city to be sure. I called them 2 to 3 weeks ago nearer the start of this mess and was told the park was open. Practice 6 ft rule.
-tim

831 636 4370 is parks and rec. Let us know what they say.
Apr 10, 2020, 08:33 AM
acw
acw
Thread OP
Brigantino Park appears to be a dog park. Is that causing problems? Would hate to have a dog bite me or my models...
Apr 10, 2020, 08:46 AM
Unclsky
Thanks Tim
Apr 10, 2020, 08:50 AM
Unclsky

Not just a dog park

Quote:
Originally Posted by acw
Brigantino Park appears to be a dog park. Is that causing problems? Would hate to have a dog bite me or my models...
Dogs must be on a leash and have never been a real issue. I believe the park is actually a aquifer to put water from the sewage treatment plant nearby back into the underground . Always green grass, though it is not the lawn grass.
Apr 10, 2020, 10:15 AM
acw
acw
Thread OP
Awesome thank you. Will definitely give it a try.
Apr 10, 2020, 01:17 PM
acw
acw
Thread OP
I just called. Unfortunately, the Brigantino Park is closed as well
Apr 12, 2020, 03:01 PM
High Lift Coefficient
Hi Arnaud,

I responded to your Linkedin message. It's been a long while since we've flown together. Welcome back to the hobby. I saw your post on RCG Electric Sailplanes too. Nice plane. If they are still open, Baylands Park is plenty large to fly it there.

Sean

PS do you still have the Pixel?
Apr 12, 2020, 04:28 PM
acw
acw
Thread OP
Hey Sean! I went to baylands but I think it is too small considering the trees and restricted areas for wild life. Eventually I realized I could fly in the commons by my house. I guess it took a pandemic for me to realize I could do this!

I crashed the pixel during a super low pass. I still have the wings somewhere if you need them. I just got a jester which is sort of the same...

I just sent my application to sbss. Would love to fly mission peak with proper social distance

Arnaud
Apr 12, 2020, 06:39 PM
High Lift Coefficient
HI Arnaud,
You'll like the Jester. I've been flying mine at Los Banos and Coyote Hills before the closures. As for Baylands, if you fly at the end of the field there should be plenty of space. I fly Power planes and Electric sailplanes there quite often.

Sean

Quick Reply