Apr 03, 2020, 12:52 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Smoke systems

Evening everyone,

This afternoon I was able to pick up an Aeroworks Extra at a screaming good price. It's the 50cc version, a plane I've flown before and like very much. This one had been damaged a bit in a bad landing but I know the guy who did the repairs and covering work and have no doubt at all that it was done properly and I won't find any unhappy surprises at a bad time. It even came with HiTec servos the same as in my other large planes and a PowerBox cockpit. Literally everything but the engine. I kind of feel like I stole it but I didn't even argue about the price. The customer who crashed it just backed out of the deal and I was able to get it for the remaining amount due.
I thought it might be fun to do a few things in one of these 50cc planes that I've not done in the past. I'm going to save one for IMAC in the event I ever find an IMAC event within three hours of me ie. between the east Mississippi state line and central Georgia. I was also thinking of putting a smoke system in either the Extra or a YAK. Are smoke systems still used these days? No one in our club flies larger planes and none have smoke onboard. I haven't been to many events in the last 4-5 years so I don't know what is popular now. Do people still use smoke systems? What brand works well and where would I find one? Thanks.

Rick H.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2020, 09:59 AM
I use a Sullivan SkyWriter Smoke Pump. It works well. I had to decrease the output to about 50%, otherwise it will pump too much fluid.
Apr 17, 2020, 10:01 AM
You will also need a smoke muffler, or install a fitting on the muffler for the smoke fluid. Some smoke mufflers have small tubes inside to pre-heat the fluid.
Apr 17, 2020, 11:38 AM
I am from the 90's - 2000 era. I like Bennett/B&B Specialities smoke mufflers and pumps as well as check valve. Of course were using on Quadras, Zenoahs Sachs Brisons
Apr 17, 2020, 11:50 AM
I have the smoke system on a US Engines 41, on a Byron Originals Pipe Dream. I started with the B&B smoke muffler and smoke pump. But I think the SkyWriter is a lot easier.
The first time that I flew with the smoke system, I was watching the smoke and not the plane.
Apr 17, 2020, 08:53 PM
I've used the sky writer on two planes so far and both worked great. Sometimes, on a new setup it won't draw fluid. It just needs to get primed. I'm trying a cheaper smoke pump from Home n Hobby, it's a diaphragm pump instead of the gear pump on the sky writer. You can get away with putting a pressure fitting on the muffler to make smoke, but it wastes fluid. Theres atomizing nozzles that work better and use less fluid. Home made spray nozzles can work, but I have no experience with that yet. Theres a video that shows how to do it. It reduces the flow so it's not so wasteful. I'm making a couple right now for a dle40 twin. We'll know soon.
Edwin
Apr 25, 2020, 10:03 AM
Do you happen to know what to use to flush out Sullivan SkyWriter Smoke Pump. I don’t use mine and concern about it being gum up over time
Apr 25, 2020, 11:54 AM
Just turn it on and see if it pumps. If it does, try water first. See how it does. I have not had one apart so dont know what's involved. That would be my last resort. I dont even know if it can be disassemble. Haven't had a reason to yet.
Edwin
Sep 06, 2020, 01:28 PM
www.baddogsmokes.com
A little late to the thread, but there are a few ways to address a problematic Sullivan Skywriter smoke pump. I would say that the Skywriter is not my first choice in smoke pumps due to several documented issues. Switching out a faulty pump head can be completed for about $20 and is quite easy to do.

They tend to develop leaks from where the motor shaft enters the pump head. This can be after several flights. Frequently within the 1 yr mfg warranty.

They are not the smoothest operating within the speed range and will jerk or stall when when starting at low pump rates. I would suggest at least 7.4 volts or typically a 3S Lipo which will help smooth out the slow speed starts.

They are one of the heaviest pumps out there.

Again there are ways to address the above issues. However, you will be a happier smoker if your open to other pump options. A good quality smoke pump is a wise investment in the long term.

Also there are true atomizing smoke nozzles that can be fitted to any muffler or header and tuned pipe setup and will rival any crimped brass tube injector fitting.

I can elaborate on any of the above points or happy to share some tips on getting the most out of your smoke system.
Sep 06, 2020, 07:49 PM
Oh...that's gonna leave a mark
Go with the Bad Dog smoke nozzles,!!
Sep 06, 2020, 11:52 PM
www.baddogsmokes.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kurt
Go with the Bad Dog smoke nozzles,!!
While the nozzles or "injectors" are a big performance upgrade when it comes to smoke, there are a few other aspects that will also optimize your smoke system setup. Proper placement and spray direction, programming a smoke pump to throttle mix curve, and a pump that that will hold up to the increased operating pressures without developing a leak and making a mess inside your airframe & a plumbing system that matches the type of pump being used as well as the desired smoke effect.

Smoke systems just like other aspects of the hobby have evolved from systems of the past. Smoke systems are more popular than ever these days and not just limited to the largest engines or airframes. The oil soaked airframes of the past have been replaced with a quick one or two dry paper towel wipe of a little haze on the tail feathers with a properly tuned system. While 20cc smoke systems are possible, 35cc setups are just as common as 50cc setups these days. Twin cylinder or even 4 cylinder setups can be very impressive!! 2 strokes, 4 strokes, radials, jet turbines or even jet tubro-prop systems are available. No special mufflers required. Even headers and canister muffler setups can be setup to smoke with simply drilling a single hole.
Jan 09, 2021, 08:22 PM
A page to discuss smoke set-ups . SWEET
Feb 17, 2021, 07:23 PM
Rich in New Jersey
Also enjoy flying with a smoke trail and wish I had information above from the start.

My learning:
Bad Dog nozzle = great idea!
Bad Dog with Sulivan skywtriter = leaks!!! Skywriter has nice case with cheap components (crappy little pump and brushed motor driving it) Horizon customer service is non existent.

What Pump?
Have two I recommend (shown in photo).
PowerBox System (made in Germny) is terrific - can't go wrong (higher price than others)
Currently testing "Miracle K-013" Smoke Pump (made in China). It's clever - nice aluminum case, gear pump that runs off a brushless motor and is supplied with a 2-cell lipo speed controller. I changed the speed controller to one that came out of a Radian glider 30 amp 3 cell lipo).

Key: Mix the throttle to an auxillary channel. See if you have an option on your radio to use a curve mix. This is huge!!! set the points on the curve to maximize smoke. My Gen 1 Spctrum DX8 did not have a curve for airplane. Had to set airplane up in heli mode and used the pitch curve (adjustable points) for the smoke pump and mixed to the throttle.

Hope this was clear.

-Rich
Happy trails!!!
Feb 17, 2021, 09:39 PM
www.baddogsmokes.com
Here is a post I posted over on flyinggiants.com a while ago where I go by the user name "crankcase". It covers the Sullivan issues... https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...&postcount=151 The fact is that atomizing nozzles use a very small orifice size to generate the misting action. This will put more stress on the seal with the backpressure created. It is possible to generate 50psi on the outlet side of the pump. Positive tubing retention measures such as safety wire ties are also suggested. If your Sullivan pump leaks within the 1 year warranty period which it likely will, then send it back to Sullivan with proof of purchase and Sullivan will replace it. Otherwise contact your vendor for a refund.

Power Box pumps are my first choice. Very well built with aluminum pump heads & brass gears. Best value for your dollar in my opinion! I have had 2 miracle pumps and heard of one other where the cup seal was installed backwards. When installed correctly the fluid pressure exerted on the seal should fill the U cup area and exhibit a tighter seal of the inner seal lip onto the motor shaft. Check this out if you spring a leak.

Your absolutely right Rich. Pump programming is the key to good smoke output at all throttle levels while keeping any unburnt mess down and maximizing your smoke time.

For those interested I have uploaded some general tips and tricks all smoke related on my website. www.baddogsmokes.com under the resources tab as well as the FAQ section explaining the common misconception of check valve use.

Happy flying!!
Feb 18, 2021, 09:55 AM
Rich in New Jersey
Smoke System - Great information above from "doublestroken" (and others)!

Thanks for the link and information about the Sullivan smoke pump.

RC modelers - check out the product offerings from baddogsmokes.com

Stumbled across the website last year and glad I did.

Blue skies (with a nice white trail behind the plane)

Quick Reply