Apr 05, 2020, 08:36 AM
Thread OP
Im will go buy something similiar on monday. I will apply a thin coat, since she is quite smooth allready! I will sand with 240, 270, 360, 400 and 600 grit
to remove ads between posts
Apr 06, 2020, 07:00 AM
Thread OP
Today i went to buy the poly filler. Also bought some acetone (for brushes) and white glossy spray paint for the bottom hull part (top will be metallic orange gelcoat)

Thanks again for the tip!

Jan
Apr 06, 2020, 10:23 AM
Thread OP
And this is the result. Id say it turned out decent. Tomorrow i will sand and sand... It was a pleasure to work with!
Apr 07, 2020, 02:29 AM
Thread OP
I just finished playing with it in 3d builder. And she will look awesome when finished! With the orange top and white belly she's a real beauty! Also i just sent the deck stl files for printing!

Maybe i will make the hatch bubble bigger

Jan
Apr 07, 2020, 03:09 AM
Closed Account
Im glad you liked it ,should give you a nice finish for moulding from . Love the design it should look really nice once done . Are you planning on selling these , as im sure people would be interested .
This Metalic gelcoat you mentioned do you have a link to it ? just be aware many gelcoats are very opaque ie see through so be sure to make sure you get a good solid colour before laying your resin and cloth ,maybe do a small test on something to make sure how much or how many coats you need to get a good covering .
Apr 07, 2020, 03:35 AM
Thread OP
Yes, i do plan selling these. Just dont know how just yet. If i get to it, i will maybe even sell ARTRs, in custom colours.

Regarding the surface finish after sanding, i will spray it over with glossy paint, because the suff i got doesnt sand to a very shiny surface.

The metallic colour will be achieved using Mica powder i got off ebay, it colors the resin very well.

Im glad you like it, i will also give her some scale stickers and a black window

Jan
Last edited by Jansvast; Apr 07, 2020 at 03:46 AM.
Apr 07, 2020, 06:01 AM
Thread OP
Sanding finished! The result would be absolutely perfect, if the filler didnt pull away from the plug in some spots ... Propably not really meant for plastic or it was because the sanding water somehow broke the bond. Anyway, i applies a thuck coat of acrylic primer, which i will sand further. Its starting to look good!

I will continue tomorrow, because the primer needs to fully dry before sanding

Jan
Apr 07, 2020, 08:44 AM
Feeling lucky .... Punk
Yea, body filler is only to be sanded dry.
Apr 07, 2020, 08:47 AM
Closed Account
Personally i dont like to use paint on plugs because the paint gets effected by heat and ive had it peel off and stick to the mould causing a lot of work to get it off and then clean up the moulds . So long as you get a reasonably smooth surface and wax it well you should be fine . You can always do a bit more sanding work on the moulds where needed once pulled,then just compound polish and buff by hand .
If you plan selling them id steer away from RTR as the hrs put in it makes it not cost effective .
Apr 07, 2020, 08:50 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the advice!

The can said it sands well dry, but nothing about it not liking water. I wanted to avoid the mess, so i used water. It wont be hard do fix tho
Apr 09, 2020, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache Kemosabi
Personally i dont like to use paint on plugs because the paint gets effected by heat and ive had it peel off and stick to the mould causing a lot of work to get it off and then clean up the moulds . So long as you get a reasonably smooth surface and wax it well you should be fine . You can always do a bit more sanding work on the moulds where needed once pulled,then just compound polish and buff by hand .
If you plan selling them id steer away from RTR as the hrs put in it makes it not cost effective .
Yes painting plugs.. you win some and you loose some. reactions are the worst. the best and only way to combat painted plugs is to use epoxy gelcoat and resin system. its less reactive.
Apr 10, 2020, 04:13 AM
Thread OP
Dont worry, im using an epoxy system.

The sanding is going well, i fixed the "tragic holes" after the filler got messed up. BUT, the whole thing warped inwards and turned the keel like a banana Propably because the PU glue warped because of humidity changes. So i broke the bond in the keel parts of the seams and put weights on it to flatten it. Then applied filler inside the created gap, which when hard should keep the thing straight.

When i get my hands on the deck and sand it so it fits perfectly flush with the bottom, then i will glue it to a board asap, so it doesnt warp back.

Wish me luck...

I also added a cool fake air scoop to the hatch, looks awesome!

Jan
Apr 10, 2020, 01:58 PM
Im glad you're enjoying yourself. Stress over the plug as much as possible, you still got all the fun of flatting and polishing the mould. Hahah.
Apr 10, 2020, 03:54 PM
Thread OP
Yeah i still have a lot of fun ahead of me! I even had to fill in the keel today, so its not curved. Is the boat you showed your design?
Apr 10, 2020, 04:28 PM
the moulds are mine, the hull design belongs to Bernico, the dash board is my design the rc model was my idea...... if you like... complicated set of circumstances but in the end I produce the scale rc models. iv built a real one too. my ones are the right size for the MHZ outboard but may develop an in house outboard in the future....if time allows. ...keep on keeping on, your mould shouldn't take too long to do, make the flanges nice and big and don't make the mould too heavy!

Quick Reply