This thread is privately moderated by prachar223, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 30, 2020, 11:14 PM
Thread OP
Video

A Salvaged Kwik Fli III- Keeping old models flying!

Below is a link to some photographs and movies of the planes first few maiden flights:
Kwik Fli III RC Plane Flies again after nearly 50 years. (2 min 54 sec)

A few years back while Bill Nichols and I were at the Cincinnati Aeromodelers Swap meet in Cincinnati, Ohio we were given a very old fuselage from a Phil Kraft Kwik Fli III. The fuselage was in disrepair and well used, the wing was long gone. After just asking the lady that was working the table and telling her what the fuselage was from {she did not know} she told us it was her late fathers stuff that she was getting rid of. After a discussion she ending up giving us the fuselage and a very old timer type plane for free, under one condition, someday we would make them all fly again. Before leaving that day, we asked the lady {I regrettably forgot her name} to sign her fathers name in one of the planes. The name was "Bill Lenzer" and the lady that gave us the plane and Bill were somehow possibly tied to ZippKitts.com. I have sent an email to ZippKitts with a link to the video, it was over this past weekend, If I get a response, I will be sure to share it on here. If you from Ohio area and knew Bill Lenzer please comment and let us know, your seeing one of his planes fly again!

Fast forward to our very interesting month of March 2020 and it was time to see the Kwik Fli take to the skies again. After much work on the fuselage and building a entirely new wing, the model was sitting covered in Bill Nichols basement. Current events with the Covid-19 pandemic gave Bill plenty of time the last three weeks to finish the model up, nearly working full time on it, it was now ready to fly. It should be noted that during recovering the model a decal was located dating the fuselage back to 1972!

A nice spring day in Ohio was the perfect day to go out, practice social distancing, and give this planes its first maiden flight in 40 to 50 years. The Aircraft took to this skies again on 03/25/2020 at the Columbus Aero RC Club in Orient, Ohio. As you can see in the video, it took to the skies very well, the only thing needed was a few clicks of down trim. The planes flies great, handles wind perfectly, it was a great design back then and still flies great to this day!

Just wanted to share this story with everyone, I am an advocate of trying to keep planes from going to the bin and keeping them flying.

Happy Flying,

Matt Prachar
Last edited by prachar223; Mar 30, 2020 at 11:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply