Moustache Model Works Online Booth

Meet Moustache Model Works, check out the show deal and watch the video!

Splash

Welcome to the online booth for Moustache Model Works!

We hope you’re enjoying this “virtual Toledo Show” that RC Groups has pulled together.

We’re a small company – no employees, just me, David Eichstedt – and we have a single product at the moment, the 20cc DHC-2 Beaver kit you’ll be able to read about below. We’re in Greenwood, Indiana, which is a suburb of Indianapolis.

Featured Deal

For the online show, we’re featuring the Beaver kit at what would have been its Toledo Show special price: $299.99, which is a $30 savings.

Product Page: https://www.moustachemodelworks.com/...e/dhc-2-beaver

Show Special Promo Video:

20cc DHC-2 Beaver Kit Toledo Show Sale! (0 min 41 sec)

About the Beaver

Our first kit is a 1/6.3 scale DHC-2 Beaver, designed to use a DLE-20 engine or an E-flite Power 60 electric motor with a 6S, 5000mAh Li-Po battery. Drawn from factory blueprints, it features a 100% scale outline.

Wings and tail surfaces are traditional balsa construction, and the fuselage is primarily lite-ply. Tab-and-slot construction ensures straightness of the fuselage. Laser-cutting is used extensively to ensure parts accuracy. The kit comes complete with all required wood, fiberglass parts, vacuum-formed plastic parts, landing gear, carbon fiber wing tube, pushrods, hardware, plans, and detailed instruction manual. Depending upon building speed, construction should take approximately 100 to 150 hours.

The cowl, wingtips, and landing gear fairings are fiberglass, while the windshield, windows, tail fairings, seats, upper carb intake and oil cooler are all vacuum-formed plastic. Two-piece, plug-in wings make transport and storage convenient, and the entire windshield removes as a large front access hatch to make battery or fuel tank access a breeze.

Two options are provided to allow modelers to customize their kits. First, a fiberglass lower carb intake or "chin scoop" is included, allowing the modeler to choose between upper or lower intakes depending upon the specific Beaver he wants to model. Second, three options are provided for the rear side windows: a single round window, a single rectangular window, or dual rectangular windows.

Required to complete

Electric Power System

• E-flite Power 60, 400Kv (EFLM4060A) or equivalent
  • 60A+ ESC, Castle Creations Talon 90 (CSE010009700) or Spektrum Avian 80 (SPMXAE1080) recommended
  • 5000mAh 6S 22.2V 30C LiPo Battery
  • 16 x 8E Propeller (suggest APC16080E)
  • Spinner/prop nut

Gas (Petrol) Power System

• DLE-20, DLE-20RA (DLEG0020 or DLEG0420) or equivalent
  • Fuel Tank, Propeller
  • Ignition battery and switch, OR iBEC

Radio Equipment

• 2 x Standard size servos, 75+ oz-in torque
  • 4-5 Mini servos, 60+ oz-in torque
  • 6-channel receiver, minimum
  • 6-channel computer transmitter with flap-elev mixing, aileron-rudder mixing, and differential aileron throw strongly recommended
  • Although mini servos are recommended for the flaps, ailerons, and throttle, standard servos may be used

Other Completion Items

• Wheels
  • Covering material
  • Glue
  • Paint
See instruction manual for a complete list

Link to Review in February 2020 Model Aviation

http://www.modelaviation.com/moustac...-IEz91mkUj8pP8

Videos

Flight of review kit built by Fitz Walker for Model Aviation:

Moustache Model Works 20cc DCH-2 Beaver - Model Aviation magazine (6 min 40 sec)

First flight of first prototype:

20cc DHC-2 Beaver First Flight, First Prototype (8 min 24 sec)

Sixth flight of first prototype:

David Eichstedt DHC-2 Beaver Flight No 6 (5 min 39 sec)

Ali Machinchy flies first prototype:

Ali Machinchy Flies David Eichstedt's DHC-2 Beaver (4 min 20 sec)

Second Prototype at Indiana Warbird Campaign 2019:

Moustache Model Works DHC-2 Beaver at Indiana Warbird Campaign 2019 (5 min 36 sec)

Development History and Philosophy of the 20cc Beaver Kit

For our first product, I wanted to do something that was relatively popular but isn’t another Cub or Mustang. During my time at Horizon Hobby we released two Beavers, the 25-sized E-flite version and the 30cc Hangar 9 version, and both were reasonably successful. Plus, I knew that Hobbico had really good success with their Flyzone Beaver (made by ST Model). Next, I wanted it to be large enough to have some presence, but still be economical. 20cc seems like a good sweet spot as the lowest common gas (petrol) engine size, but also appropriate for using a Power 60 electric motor on 6S. I wanted something not too complex, as I was just learning a new CAD system. (If you go read my blog posts, you'll know this was probably a good idea, as I spent about 9 months struggling to get the design done, and this one was a relatively simple airplane.)

The Beaver was designed using Fusion360 from AutoDesk and was drawn directly from the factory blueprints. As such, I would say it’s about 98% accurate. There are two small areas where deviations had to be made, but I’m not telling what they are! Fusion360 is a 3D CAD program. Drawing it up in 3D was painful and time-consuming, but the results were better than expected. 3D CAD geometry was used to create the tooling for both the plastic and fiberglass parts, and the ensuing plastic and fiberglass parts fit is superb.

I did have some help along the way with the development. Jeff Foley, noted Top Gun competitor, made some prototype fiberglass parts which helped tremendously. Balsa USA did the laser cutting for my prototype kit builds. And there were lots of design pointers from Peter Goldsmith along the way, mostly related to design for laser cutting.

What About Floats

Floats are in process! They’re all designed and at the factory now for assembly of a prototype kit. However, as of this moment, most Asian factories are still shut down, which means their development is stalled at the moment. Here are some photos of the first prototype, which was built over a year ago.

What’s Next?

Not telling. BUT, it’s a 60cc warbird.

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Mar 30, 2020 at 09:46 AM..
Apr 06, 2020, 07:53 PM
I am not a robot

Look like a fantastic winter project.

Can we get a photo of the kit maybe layed out so we can see some of the major components? Need a price for the kit including floats.
Apr 07, 2020, 06:07 AM
There is an excellent build log listed below. Shows many views of what comes with the Beaver. Price is shown on the web site. Plus there is a discount for short time based on Toledo show cost, even though it was cancelled.
Apr 07, 2020, 06:35 AM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideslip
Can we get a photo of the kit maybe layed out so we can see some of the major components? Need a price for the kit including floats.
Normally $329.99, now it’s $299.99 through Friday April 10th. No price or availability on floats yet.

Attached photo is from the review article in Model Aviation.

Quick Reply