SU-35 Split Screen FPV Video

I really enjoyed this video by YouTuber Airguardian from Spain. He showcases his Freewing SU-35 that is outfitted with FPV gear.

Splash

Fun Video of an SU-35 FPV Flight

I really enjoyed this video by YouTuber Airguardian from Spain. He showcases his Freewing SU-35 that is outfitted with FPV gear. This flight was made in the goggles from start to finish, but I like how he had a ground camera to show the plane from an LOS perspective during the flight. He put that footage together with the FPV DVR feed to make a split screen view that is interesting to watch.

Here's some info on his SU-35 setup:

"This is a highly modded Freewing SU-35S. It includes an autopilot controller and an FPV headtracking visual system that makes the plane effectively a UAV/RPA. (Stabilizing functions not active in the flights shown). The 'autopilot' is a FeiYu-Tech FY-41AP and it also provides the OSD seen on the FPV window. Just as virtual reality 'VR' goggles are used to play video games, here a similar technique is used to watch what the plane sees in real time just like if you were sitting in the plane's cockpit, and the camera will follow your head movements! This is kind of 'reality virtualized' as opposed to 'virtual reality' ... what do you think about it? I encourage you to leave your thoughts in the comments section below! As for the jet itself, the SU-35S is well known for its super maneuverability features, that are a result of a good aerodynamic design coupled with the use of thrust vectoring nozzless. The pilot displays a few post-stall maneuvers using the TV nozzles that would be otherwise impossible to perform with a normal jet aircraft."

Gear Used:

• Airplane: Freewing SU-35S dual 70mm EDF
  • Motors: 2x RC Lander 6S DPS
  • Rotors: 2x Wemotec Mini Classic (5 blades)
  • Fan shrouds: Stock Freewing (4 stator vanes)
  • ESCs: 2x 80A Hobbywing Skywalker
  • Servos: Corona DS-939MG
  • Taileron servos: Turnigy TGY 306G
  • Redundant systems: FrSky Redundancy Bus
  • Receivers: 2x FrSky X8R working in D16 mode, one with telemetry.
  • External BECs: 2x Turnigy 8-15A UBEC
  • Rx Battery: Rhino 2S 610mAh
  • Main Battery: Turnigy Panther 6S 5000mAh 75C
  • Video Tx: Boscam 5.8G 32ch 600mW Wireless AV Transmitter
  • FPV cam: Eachine OKKAN EK1119
  • Autopilot/OSD: FeiyuTech FY-41AP

Mar 30, 2020, 09:21 AM
Fans need balance, and how do you get 10 minutes out of that battery.
Mar 30, 2020, 09:30 AM
FL, Sanford
Beep beep beep beeeeeeeep Missile Missile!!!
Mar 30, 2020, 09:44 AM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdperformance
Fans need balance, and how do you get 10 minutes out of that battery.
Watch the video. It's two separate flights
Last edited by Matt Gunn; Mar 30, 2020 at 09:58 AM.
Mar 30, 2020, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
Watch the video. It's two separate flights
OK thanks , was going to say I gotta get those batteries.
Mar 30, 2020, 12:51 PM
Flying Hazard
Hey, thanks for the shout-out!

That's me in the video

If anyone has any questions on the set up, fire at will
Also been contributing and sharing about this build on the main thread of the jet here on the forum.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ay-on-topic%29

As pointed out, it's two separate flights (uncut). My typical flight times are 3 - 4 min when I'm doing hardcore aerobatics. Post-stall moves are quite energy-bleeding and require a lot of throttle to recover.
The flights on the video are still aerobatic but not so 'extreme' thus the flights get closer to the 5 min mark.
When flying formation flight stuff (no aerobatics or very limited moves) I have seldom extended flight times to 6-7 minutes without killing the battery and I bet if I really planned for it I could manage to reach 8 min at least (flying on minimal throttle and conserving energy) but that's not quite the kind of thing that I'm after.

Anyway I DO RECCOMEND the batteries I'm using (not sponsored or anything). These Panther packs are the first I buy that take the kind of abuse that extreme aerobatics with EDF jets demand without swelling, decreasing performance or outright dying in the first 20 cycles. I have 6 packs, many of which I have over-discharged a few times (please don't do that) and all are around 40-50 cycles already and kicking hard. Internal resistance during 1C charge measures between 0.9 and 1.5 miliohms on all cells which is quite amazing considering the performance of my previous packs.
These packs are on the heavy side (870g) but I take that more as a confirmation of quality than anything else. High C discharge rates produce heavy packs, that's just how it is. MCSguy also in this forum tested the packs and confirmed they were actual 35C packs (forget about the 75C branding) which is part of what sold me on them to begin with.

Being able to fly consistently with packs that will take some abuse has been critical in all this FPV adventure.

Back to the video, I have made quite a few like that (FPV split screen) and here's a playlist with all my videos on this build if you feel curious or want to see more:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Xdo-7kyoqj7nPR

And since we're at it, here's probably the most special 'split screen video' that I've made with this jet, featuring 3 different views (ground, cockpit, lead aircraft) while performing formation flight with a 3D-printed P-38.

SU-35 / P-38 Formation in Split Screen, Slow Motion - HD 50fps (8 min 47 sec)

At the moment I'm preparing a new freewing F-18C Hornet that I also intend to mod for FPV flying so maybe as the quarantine is lifted I'll be able to publish more on that

Keep tuned!
Cheers!

Jandro.
Mar 31, 2020, 10:36 AM
I love the old ace combat Theme in the first one! Really takes me back!
Mar 31, 2020, 04:23 PM
Flying Hazard
I used to play AC4 a lot as a child... guess where part of the hobby came from, lol.

I have more videos like this with AC4 music
Mar 31, 2020, 04:46 PM
Very cool!
Mar 31, 2020, 10:11 PM
Very very cool! But then again for completeness here is it's Big Brother at action at the Paris Air Show in 2013. Enjoy,

Paris Air Show 2013 - Su-35 vertical take-off + Air Show (HD) (8 min 16 sec)
Mar 31, 2020, 10:29 PM
Flying Hazard
I was there watching it with my own eyes

Made my own video too...

SU-35S at Paris Le Bourget 2013 [Remastered] - HD 50fps (12 min 59 sec)
Apr 01, 2020, 10:53 PM
SU-4ever,

Hey mate a video is one thing - watching that performance live must have been sensational. For me it has to be the best fighter display I've ever seen at Paris.

All the Best

Danny
Apr 02, 2020, 08:41 AM
Flying Hazard
Agree... kinda life changing. I actually entered an aerospace engineering career after falling in love with these jets in YouTube videos. This was the first time I got to see one in action, up-close with my own eyes so you can imagine my hype...
Apr 07, 2020, 01:10 AM
SU-4ever,

Like your style sir. A mentor of mine got to see the following live - it was the precursor for Su-35 and it was flown by Sergey Bogdan's mentor. If you want to see the origin point of extreme plus agility this is it. Enjoy,

Sukhoi Su-37 at Paris Air Show 1997 (3 min 40 sec)
Apr 08, 2020, 04:26 PM
Flying Hazard
Thanks!

Wow... lucky him!
That's a rare video! ( I hadn't seen it! )

That's gotta be E. Frolov then.

Quick Reply