Mar 30, 2020, 04:54 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Mach III- Norm Page

Looking trough the pages of RCModeler magazine, November 1975 issue, I've seen a small picture of Norm Page and a unknown Mach III. Does someone have information on this model
to remove ads between posts
Mar 30, 2020, 09:39 AM
No info from me, sorry; but one quick observation... this particular photo montage is interesting in that 5 of the designs mentioned, to the best of my knowledge, were never published or kitted (Mach III, Hummingbird, Pantera, Checkmate II, Triple Trouble). However, it appears that some, if not all, are derived from the Mach I, or the Compensator, or some of the other pre-existing designs... similarities between all of them is obvious. The difference between the Triple Trouble and the Troublemaker appears to be so small as to be inconsequential.
Last edited by RC YEAGER; Mar 30, 2020 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Typo
Mar 30, 2020, 10:00 AM
ƃuıʇɐǝʞ ʇʇoɔs
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC YEAGER
No info from me, sorry; but one quick observation...
Another observation - there are two different "Mach IIIs" shown, suggesting it likely wasn't a one-off tweak by Norm Page.
Latest blog entry: Sagitta 600 build 2018
Mar 30, 2020, 10:10 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC YEAGER
No info from me, sorry; but one quick observation... this particular photo montage is interesting in that 5 of the designs mentioned, to the best of my knowledge, were never published or kitted (Mach III, Hummingbird, Pantera, Checkmate II, Triple Trouble). However, it appears that some, if not all, are derived from the Mach I, or the Compensator, or some of the other pre-existing designs... similarities between all of them is obvious. The difference between the Triple Trouble and the Troublemaker appears to be so small as to be inconsequential.
Can't say about the others, but seems to have read somewhere that Triple Trouble had a longer ratio arm. Mach III by Norm looks to have less sweep to leading edge and a larger tailplane. The other Mach III may well look different due to paint scheme.
Besides who can tell the difference between japanese models after BlueAngel won in Italy.
Mar 30, 2020, 10:56 AM
One interesting difference from the Mach I seems to be that in the Mach III the canopy flows rearwards in a continuous slope... i.e. a turtle deck... probably in search of more lateral area for better knife edge...
Last edited by RC YEAGER; Mar 30, 2020 at 11:22 AM.
Mar 31, 2020, 01:47 AM
AMA 46133
Sorry for the thread jack but that picture with Phil Kraft and a "Dirty Birdie" does not seem correct. Looked more like a variant of the Kwik Fli to me.

The Mach III did look like there is a turtle deck. The wing sweep and taper looked about the same like the Mach One.
Mar 31, 2020, 02:07 AM
Thread OP
Larger images.
Mar 31, 2020, 06:36 AM
Intermediate Multi
Mike Mueller might be able to shed some light on Mach III characteristics.
Last edited by Trisquire; Mar 31, 2020 at 06:41 AM.
Mar 31, 2020, 08:18 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire
Mike Mueller might be able to shed some light on Mach III characteristics.
I started a new thread there. Thanks
Mar 31, 2020, 08:29 AM
Intermediate Multi
No problem. With a thicker airfoil, it might be easier to keep up with than the Mach I.
Mar 31, 2020, 11:58 AM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by gghisleri
Larger images.
Hmmmm.....the plane Phil Kraft had did look like a Dirty Birdie painted in Phil Kraft typical paint scheme. The top deck looked very rounded though.
Mar 31, 2020, 01:56 PM
There was a color photo in MANs captioned with Phil Kraft and his Orange Dirty Birdy. The top and tri-stock on a balsa build allowed for a lot of planing to make a well rounded Dirty Birdy.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
Hmmmm.....the plane Phil Kraft had did look like a Dirty Birdie painted in Phil Kraft typical paint scheme. The top deck looked very rounded though.
Latest blog entry: MAAC Wings
Mar 31, 2020, 03:04 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpurcha
There was a color photo in MANs captioned with Phil Kraft and his Orange Dirty Birdy. The top and tri-stock on a balsa build allowed for a lot of planing to make a well rounded Dirty Birdy.

Jim
Very interesting. I wish Bridi used some triangle stocks to round off all his designs. One reason why I am never too keen on the Bridi designs was the boxy look.
Mar 31, 2020, 04:29 PM
That is why David O's redesigns are so nice; he eliminates all the carving and sanding with rounded formers and thin sheeting.
Maybe he will post a copy of the original Brushfire plans and his redesign which is masterful in the weight reduction.
Mar 31, 2020, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
Phil flew his Fire Fli in competition until Bridi came up with the Dirty Birdy, then he switched. He finished 8th at the Nats with the DB in 1976. He used a Curare to finish 7th in 1977.

Quick Reply