Apr 01, 2020, 08:33 PM
One of the world's best selling motors is plain bearing. Small Block Chevy. They seem fairly good in my experience.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2020, 12:15 AM
Another opinion here. The Kadet Sr. is a much better trainer than an Ugly Stik or most anything else out there. It’s big and easy to see even at great distances. It responds less quickly than smaller faster planes. Will you want something more maneuverable later? Yes! That’s the natural progression. Will you get tired of it? Most of us don’t. Mine came to me well used in the ‘90s. It was completely rebuilt and re-covered about 5 years ago. I have much more maneuverable and faster planes but some days I just enjoy puttering around, flying low and slow down the runway and seeing how gently I can set it down. Your FP 60 is only a tiny bit on the large side. Mine currently has an old K&B .61 on it; about the same power.
Apr 02, 2020, 04:49 PM
BnG...
Last edited by balsa-n-glow; Apr 19, 2020 at 12:40 AM.
Apr 02, 2020, 06:36 PM
Thread OP
Balsaworkbench, if this deal falls apart like the last one, I'll hit ya up. Thank for the info, looking forward to my first build. I spent 22 years as a CNC machinist, 6 if it as a production supervisor, no experience working with wood. Especially something as soft as balsa. Can't wait.
Apr 02, 2020, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Balsaworkbench, if this deal falls apart like the last one, I'll hit ya up. Thank for the info, looking forward to my first build. I spent 22 years as a CNC machinist, 6 if it as a production supervisor, no experience working with wood. Especially something as soft as balsa. Can't wait.
If you have never used balsa or worked with wood or built a kit you are going to love the experience. Be prepared to be hooked on a new hobby. Its a ton of fun seeing something YOU built fly around the sky. Its very satisfying. But addictive. You will have lots of questions that all here will be happy to answer. With a good instructor you can learn to fly about any model plane. Remember most military pilots start off on trainer jets that would blow the wings off propeller civilian trainers. It all comes down to the training.

I was a former machinist myself. I worked in my dads machine shop from the time I was 10 till around age 24. I wish I still had access to a lathe and mill.
Apr 02, 2020, 10:21 PM
A man with a plan
You can learn on the Ugly Stik, but the Kadet is a better choice if you can get one.
Apr 02, 2020, 10:58 PM
The SIG is a good choice. It will definitely teach you how to cut and fit balsa to build and air frame. There used to be a number of 60 sized trainers in the 90s. Great Planes PT60 and others. Do some ebay and web searching you will more than likely find one. They were slab side lite plywood fuselages with tab lock bulkheads, much easier to build. For a trainer I always push for a new flyer to build a plane. You are going to crash it, just accept it. But since you built the plane you now how to fix it.

Try to stay with a three channel trainer (rudder, elevator and throttle). It will force you to learn how to use a rudder. I have trained a number of people and every one that had a aileron model I taped the ailerons straight and did not plug the servo in and taught them how to fly with only three channels. It really pays off when moving to a 4 channel plane that you know how to effectively use a rudder.

The 60 FP is a good engine and a good engine for a trainer. Use about 10% nitro and 20 to 25% castor oil fuel. Bushing engines run better on all castor fuel. Call Sig they sell it.

Before you start the build join a club and AMA and find a mentor who is willing to help you build and set up a plane and fly. Most important is building a straight and properly setup plane. Trying to learn to fly is hard enough. Trying to learn on a badly constructed plane just makes it harder.
Apr 03, 2020, 06:56 PM
Thread OP
Hopefully my kit comes soon, I'm ready to jump in to this. I'm sure as soon as I get started the question flood gate will open. Thank you for the info.
Apr 05, 2020, 09:14 PM
Bruce Tharpe Flying King
Apr 07, 2020, 11:56 AM
Thread OP
Finally came
Apr 07, 2020, 12:15 PM
A man with a plan
Looks like you're in for a good time. What kind of adhesive are you going to use?
Apr 07, 2020, 03:57 PM
Thread OP
Well thats what I'm looking at now, not sure yet. Looking to see what people are using.
Apr 07, 2020, 04:45 PM
A man with a plan
I built everything with CA for decades, but in the past 5 years or so I started using Titebond II. It's good stuff. You have to wait for it to dry, but it doesn't take terribly long.
Apr 07, 2020, 06:21 PM
I have been a fan of Weldbond for a couple of decades. I have been finding it at Hobby Lobby craft store. I still use some CA. Mostly the thin version but also the thick. And of course epoxy. But if I had to I could build the whole plane with just Weldbond.

If you are going to build a Senior you may want to consider sheeting the open framework on the fuse to help the plane survive those less than perfect landings. Another poster here said he did that and it added a lot of strength with very little weight gain. IIRC he used 1/16" sheet. And since you are going to use an engine as large as a 60 on there it may keep you from having to add tail weight. These planes will fly on almost no power. A bud flew his on an FP-40 and it was more than enough power. Just a thought.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Ho...ive/p/80739598
Apr 15, 2020, 03:29 PM
Thread OP
Starting my build last week, taking my time, picking up supplies as I go. Just wondering if the accessories kit is worth buying or just pick up the pieces individually?

Quick Reply