Dec 02, 2020, 07:11 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmoothie
First, I'm always happy to read when somebody is even more compulsive than I am about safety. There are way too many scenarios for things to head south with this model once "armed."

What I am about to relate does not apply to my Dornier, since I have a delay unit installed for the nose gear doors, and this evidently changes things.

However: I do have these same Xwave retracts in 3 other models right now with "straight" installations to the Rx. I've noticed an odd thing and I have to admit that it makes no sense to me -- perhaps somebody can explain...

When I first connect my lipo (on any of these other three planes), I do indeed have to toggle the retract switch (Spektrum DX8 G2) for them to operate. After the flight, I disconnect the lipo of course. Later, when I re-connect a new lipo for subsequent flight, the retracts work immediately, no need to toggle. How can that be?
I think this may be present when you first apply power to the airframe with the transmitter landing gear switch out of phase with the retract gear position. I have found they do not require a toggle cycle when the receiver connects to the transmitter when the gear toggle switch position matches the landing gear position. I have also noted it takes a few seconds for the servo's to center up - likewise for the retract servos. If I try to toggle the gear before the servo's are fully centered (energized) the retracts need a switch toggle cycle. The energized scenario is greatly pronounced on my set up due to the A3L Stabilizer unit - as it has to acclimate itself to the present at rest orientation first...then all the servo's Wake Up.

I'll keep experimenting on my set up to find and observe how and why these retracts demonstrate this toggle issue

UPDATE: The requirement to Toggle or "CYCLE" the retracts is CONFIRMED on my bird...sometimes....no matter what position the landing gear transmitter switch is in relationship to the the retract orientation at first battery hook up......after this the airframe can be de-energized and the retracts do not require a switch toggle cycle.

TwistedGrin
Last edited by TwistedGrin; Dec 04, 2020 at 01:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2020, 06:55 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
The FreeWing A-10 nose gear strut oleo was too soft for our grass runway.....the front prop was striking the ground during normal taxi and probably would have certainly sustained damages during full speed take of and landings.

I managed to take apart the plunger rod and spring and inserted about 8mm cut of 5mm wire strut into the top of the oleo chamber. This does two things....1. Preloads the spring much tighter 2. provides a stop much sooner than stock.

Taxi testing of the nose gear with the oleo spacer looks good...the trailing action nose gear still has the ability to absorb bumps, has enough preload to sustain higher weight and prevents the prop from striking the ground at the end of its travel.

I think I am ready for the maiden.

I ran a quick static test on a starting stand at the field....the HobbyKing "Watts Up" meter displayed the following when hooked up between my ESC's Power lead Y-split and the single battery:
96Amp Peak
2100Watts Peak

I am not sure how to interpret the numbers since the single battery running through the meter was tied into both ESC's and motors.

This could mean the values are combined and should be split 50% or each ESC/Motor combo represents this value as its own.

It could mean each ESC is pulling 96amp's and each motor is producing 2100Watts at static WOT. If so this means the airframe could have 4200Watts of power overall?

I am thinking .....each ESC is pulling 48amps and each motor is providing 1050Watts

TwistedGrin
Last edited by TwistedGrin; Dec 06, 2020 at 07:56 PM.
Dec 10, 2020, 11:14 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
https://www.ilovewwiiplanes.com/2020...BoJyKXqz_xWEUk

This was showing on a news thread I ascribe to

TG
Dec 10, 2020, 11:39 AM
It's all about scale models!
Thread OP
Quote:
https://www.ilovewwiiplanes.com/2020...BoJyKXqz_xWEUk

This was showing on a news thread I ascribe to
Some great shots -- and I have not seen those particular two cockpit shots. The one looking back at the seat is an especially rare view (and I have collected a PILE of PFEIL reference material).
Dec 10, 2020, 12:19 PM
Failure is not an option
I have seen the 335 in the Udvar. It's amazing how large that airplane is.
Dec 10, 2020, 12:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I have seen the 335 in the Udvar. It's amazing how large that airplane is.
I've heard that simply reading the dimensions doesn't do justice to how large it is -- I suspect that the incredibly tall landing gear contributes to the effect.

Udvar Hazy is one that I haven't gotten to yet. A guy on youtube did a fairly long video tour of the museum and it turned to be bigger and better than I'd been led to believe -- seems like the same two dozen planes seem to be featured in every story about the museum. U-H is on my short list for must-do trips post-Covid.

I did get to the USAF museum in Dayton in May 2019 -- and I was just blown away by the size of the museum and the quality of the examples. We spent two full days and there were still some areas I didn't get to. My only complaint was that the lighting was "weak to horrible" -- I felt like I was wearing sunglasses in some areas. It seems that I read somewhere that they were trying to address this issue -- does anybody know? I'd go back in a heartbeat if the opportunity presents itself.
Dec 10, 2020, 10:43 PM
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
Take some time when @ Dullas airport in DC, it's right there. So much to see, easy to spend several days really. From the shuttle, enola gay, blackbird, WAY to much to list, been many times and it never gets old. pristine 335 there, it is huge
Last edited by Mr.frankenjet; Dec 11, 2020 at 12:24 PM.
Dec 11, 2020, 10:29 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.frankenjet
Take some time when @ Dullas airport in DC, it's right there. So much to see, easy to spend several days really. From the shuttle, enola gay, blackbird, WAT to much to list, been many times and it never gets old. pristine 335 there, it is huge
Years ago when I was there I took an extra day off from work to visit the Udvar Hazy......at that time they had I think a model of Horton Wing over the DO 335.....I was begging the guards to let me get on a ladder and see into the 335....they said they also wanted to get in it......but.....naw no way. I remember how strange the 335 was....I was going in on this airframe sooner or later no matter what....If I dash this one up.....I well replace it anyway.

TwistedGrin
Last edited by TwistedGrin; Dec 12, 2020 at 03:56 PM.
Dec 17, 2020, 09:04 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Still waiting on a good day to maiden mine.......work has collapsed any chances of evening flights for weeks now. I need to get my reflexes back from not flying for so long. Will fly some easy trainers to get back in shape then see if work and weather give me a shot. I am in no hurry though as I would rather feel good, have the skills up to par and have a weather day. This may not line up for awhile.

TwistedGrin
Dec 17, 2020, 11:30 PM
Thread OP
It's really not a hard model to fly IMO -- it's mostly a matter of making your knees stop shaking. My best advice is to go back in this thread and watch my maiden takeoff -- that's what a too-far-aft CG and too much elevator throw looked like! Every take off since correcting those two things has been "like butter". If you want me to measure where my elevator throw ended up, let me know.
Dec 18, 2020, 10:59 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmoothie
It's really not a hard model to fly IMO -- it's mostly a matter of making your knees stop shaking. My best advice is to go back in this thread and watch my maiden takeoff -- that's what a too-far-aft CG and too much elevator throw looked like! Every take off since correcting those two things has been "like butter". If you want me to measure where my elevator throw ended up, let me know.
Ya Smoothie - I'd like to know your surface deflection throw for sure. I have my CG hopefully at 165mm and can go forward up to 163mm for the maiden at least. I also have the stabilizer ready to kick in if things get really weird too.

If I have my COG set up close to yours....your elevator throw should work for me...but I won't hold it against you if I goof anything up - LOL

Thanks in advance and Thanks again!!

TwistedGrin
Dec 20, 2020, 06:05 PM

Main gear changes

Finally put the arrow together. Was surprised how the main gear splay out . It would sure add to the bending moment on a hard landing. Sooo, I pulled the gear out and installed Eflite 85 degree 60-120 gear. They fit great but had to go back to a 5mm pin. Now the gear are square with the ground. Also made gear doors out thin plywood and Robart 1/2" gear mounts. Modified the mounts a little thinner and added 6/32 mounting screws. I sure like the new look. I included some pictures I hope came thu.
Dec 20, 2020, 06:08 PM

Main gear changes

forgot one picture.
Dec 21, 2020, 08:26 AM
@Rob87b that mod looks great!
Dec 21, 2020, 10:19 AM
Thanks, The gear doors are covered with gray monokote. I know the eflite retracts are twice as much but the have current limiters when jammed. They are also good for 15 lb aircraft and the only 85 degree retracts around that fit.

Quick Reply