Apr 13, 2020, 10:27 PM
It's Tougher in Alaska
Thread OP
Got more visual progress done on the wing.
Love it when my little plainer does beautiful bouncy curls
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2020, 02:54 PM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Shirley Temple curls. Nice.
Apr 14, 2020, 10:27 PM
It's Tougher in Alaska
Thread OP
Starting getting the wing tip fitted. Sand the fiberglass tip flush, trim and fit the balsa tip inside of it, 30min epoxy, and some tape to hold it tight while it cures.
Apr 15, 2020, 11:05 PM
It's Tougher in Alaska
Thread OP
Decided to wait to glue the wing tip on for now. Not sure wether to paint it first then glue it in after covering the wing or not. So I’m going to set it aside for now.

The wing blind nut supplied was longer than the prototype by mistake. Double check and make sure it’s the correct length and make the proper standoff for it. Or grind it like I did.

No surprises for what’s next. Adding tri-stock to the flap TE, creating a servo linkage hole in the sub TE spar, then actually building the flap. Haven’t finished it yet, but so far a piece of cake.

I did decide to make my own carbon G10 flap control horn over the supplied plywood one. It’ll never break and last much longer... especially with a gasser. I wish the horn supplied was fiberglass G10 at least.
Apr 16, 2020, 09:18 AM
Warbird & Jet Lover
For the Army Beaver, I just MonoKoted over the wingtip. Worked fine. Yes, it takes some effort to get it around the curves, but it does work. Heat gun helps a lot here.

I did the same with the white & yellow bird, which used Ultracote. However, I didn't have the fiberglass tips done yet so its wingtips are balsa.
Apr 16, 2020, 09:20 AM
Warbird & Jet Lover
MonoKoted wingtip.
Apr 16, 2020, 10:04 AM
It's Tougher in Alaska
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt
MonoKoted wingtip.
And since the tips are fiberglass this can be done
Cowl and gear would have to be painted though due to the curvatures
Apr 16, 2020, 10:14 AM
It's Tougher in Alaska
Thread OP
Got a little more done on the flap, while waiting for the glue to dry I started on the aileron. No surprises.
Apr 16, 2020, 04:22 PM
It's Tougher in Alaska
Thread OP
Aileron is done, flap needs a little LE shaping, but basically done. Everything here is very self explanatory, no surprises.
Note that I added the G10 carbon flap horn and the extra hinge pin blocks.
Waiting to hinge everything later.
The pictures go back and forth between flap and aileron - sorry!
Sure is nice to have a block sander and a little plain to shape everything.
Apr 17, 2020, 07:46 PM
What kind of glue are you using to glue down that G-10 flap horn?

carl
Apr 17, 2020, 09:22 PM
It's Tougher in Alaska
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgrover
What kind of glue are you using to glue down that G-10 flap horn?

carl
30min Epoxy. I drilled a bunch of holes and also sanded the surface with 100 grit. Then wiped clean with Isopropyl alcohol
Apr 18, 2020, 02:15 AM
It's Tougher in Alaska
Thread OP
Been busy building the other wing. Laid out the plans last night. Started this morning, worked in between baby naps.... very rough!!! But managed to get pretty far.

Learned to sand and fit the ribs for the wing tube sleeve now before putting them in place.

Had to trim the rib slot on all the wings to make the spar fit. The spars are a little wider Han the slots.

Speaking of spars. I had a crooked young wavy grain spar. I paired it with a tighter and older grain spar (that one on the bottom) and tamed the wavy one in place with glue.

With THAT said.... We are on par.... spar??? For tomorrow he he he.
Apr 18, 2020, 11:17 AM
It's Tougher in Alaska
Thread OP
Hatch supports in, made a anti-rotation block and flap hinge support one big block. Epoxied that in place. Used he left over scoot and mixed some micro balloons in and made some fillets near the wing tube. Gotta wait for that to all set up then onto the sheeting!
Apr 19, 2020, 01:27 AM
It's Tougher in Alaska
Thread OP
Sheeting done, leading edge on, and oh yeah.... more plaining! Sharpened the blade and got to take some real material in no time.
Need to shape and put the flap TE on.
Apr 20, 2020, 01:41 AM
It's Tougher in Alaska
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNick
30min Epoxy. I drilled a bunch of holes and also sanded the surface with 100 grit. Then wiped clean with Isopropyl alcohol
Maybe some pics of me doing the other flap will make more sense.

Quick Reply