Lipo ignite!!! - RC Groups
Apr 07, 2005, 03:29 AM

Lipo ignite!!!

Well today was very exciting. A friend asked me to rebuild his plane after he crashed it and handed me a battery that seamed to look okay. So, i started off charging it at a 1c rating maybe a little under. the charge took about 12min. I then thought he may have charged it before he handed it over to me. I let it cool down for about an hour then started a discharge. after about an hour later my charger beeped upon completion then i heard a whispering noise. As i entered the charger before i could get there it happened. Boom! Insistant rocket-in-a-can!! I could not believe the flames. It was like a rocket! The flames were so violent that it torched the fan and the vent before i could turn it on, in which took about 2 seconds. I have always taking percautions against being safe when it comes to lipos like, placing them inside a old coffee can. Today it paid off dearly. So if you're charging without safty measures beware!!! These are picture of what happened and a picture of what it would have looked like before enjoy.
Last edited by demetrius; Apr 07, 2005 at 03:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2005, 03:31 AM
this is what it would have looked like before!
Apr 07, 2005, 03:34 AM
Plane hugging cat
I hope the 10C charge rate was a typo.

They shouldn't get hot on a 1C charge.
Apr 07, 2005, 03:35 AM
Flap chap
Quote:
Originally Posted by demetrius
So, i started off charging it at a 10c rating maybe a little under
I thought you were only meant to charge a LiPo at no more than a 1c rating, or am i wrong?
Apr 07, 2005, 03:51 AM
sorry guys typo 1c not 10c as quoted earlier, i've since edited the original post.
Apr 07, 2005, 03:53 AM
Flap chap
lol, i though i were the crazy one to believe you!
Apr 07, 2005, 04:22 AM
Custom User Title
what type of pack was it? (cell configuration, capacity, discharge rates, comapany)

mike
Apr 07, 2005, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by demetrius
... Boom! Insistant rocket-in-a-can!! I could not believe the flames. It was like a rocket! The flames were so violent that it torched the fan and the vent before i could turn it on, in which took about 2 seconds...
Thanks for the detailed report, demetrius.

Your perception of an unwrapped LiPo's ignition is in accord with mine, observed after deliberate ignition during my testing of prospective safety containers. In the case of a large pack, even wrapping didn't help.

I'm going to make the point again that I think we should drop the cute little phrase "vent with flame". IMO, It is intended to impart a false sense of security, when applied to LiPos, rather than canned Lithium Ion cells with vents in them.

LiPos ignite violently, and the violence is enhanced to the point where I believe the word "detonate" is appropriate, if an attempt is made to contain the ignition.

The LiPo's carcass then burns to a crisp.

I believe your open-topped container which directed the blast more or less in one direction, is about the best you can do. Congratulations. Only the vent fan suffered collateral damage, and readers would do well to note what a "vent with flames" did to it. "Vent with flames", indeed!I'm downright scornful of that BS.

- RD
Last edited by RD Blakeslee; Apr 11, 2005 at 12:42 PM. Reason: inaccuracy corrected
Apr 07, 2005, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhale71
what type of pack was it? (cell configuration, capacity, discharge rates, comapany)

mike
thunder p 1900 1st gen. 3cell
Apr 07, 2005, 08:50 AM
Space Coast USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD Blakeslee

These things ignite violently, and the violence is enhanced to the point where I believe the word "detonate" is appropriate, if an attempt is made to contain the ignition.

- RD
A detonation is a supersonic combustion event involving a shock wave. You would have heard a very loud kaboom had that been a detonation and it would probably have punched a hole in the bottom of the box. "Vent with flame" may not be a strong enough description but I would suggest not using the term detonation in reference to a lipo conflagration. http://www.uxoinfo.com/uxoinfo/ordhazards.cfm
Apr 07, 2005, 08:56 AM
So, "deflagrate" is the correct word then (burn rapidly, with great intensity)?
Apr 07, 2005, 09:34 AM
Well, I'm not partial to any single term to describe what happens, so long as it's not misleading. So, I'll avoid both "detonate" and "vent with flames". Maybe we should go onomatopoeic?

Oh, I WHUMPED my LiPo today
In the merry, merry month of May
Made a fireball so bright
'Twas really quite a sight
Would "whumping" suit it, whatcha say?

- RD
Apr 07, 2005, 09:39 AM
Omnipote
It sounds like another misset charger/discharger story.

A 3s pack set to charge at 2s will finish charging rather quickly and the following discharge to 6.0 Volts will bring it down to a dangerous voltage level.

Hmmmmm.
Apr 07, 2005, 09:47 AM
Suspended Account
..."vulconate"...
Apr 07, 2005, 09:59 AM
Southern Pride
Months ago when I was a newbie here on RC Groups I expressed my opinion that the suggested container/safety devices were a joke and that they would not contain a LiPoly vent with flame incendent . I was politely aked by way of PM's not to scare people and that I should not make statements such as that without hard proof .
My suggestion for afe LiPo Storage at home was to build an underground storm shelter and use it.

Charles