Mar 26, 2020, 03:24 AM
Thread OP
New Product

CCM Toy 2m glider

Hey everybody,

I recently received a new 2-meter glider named "Toy" made by CCM in Ukraine. It is beautiful and I like it a lot after both building and flying it. I wanted to start a thread for anyone interested in discussing this sailplane here.

More info on producer's website: https://ccm.in.ua/en/catalog/r-c-models/toy-2m/

It thermal soars and slope soars very well. An all-arounder of sorts that looks like a shrunk down 3-meter F3F/B type glider in a smaller 2-meter wingspan. Sure is fast, nimble, clean, quiet, fun roll rate, sleek fuse profile, and thin airfoil with good inverted performance.

The quality of the kit fit and finish it outstanding, flawless actually. It is easy to build with pre-installed wiring harnesses in wing panels and fuse, and control horns already glued into control surfaces. 2.4GHz friendly fuse with servo tray for KST X08H servos to drive V-tail included as well as pre-sized servo covers.
My kit included the factory option of pre-installed IDS servo frames for KST X08H/Plus (ailerons) and KST X10 Mini (flaps) servos, which made for an even faster gear installation.

Mine weighs 1111 grams using a 2000mAh 2-cell 18500 Li-Ion battery pack with some lead to get CG set to middle of range at 87mm currently which seems good for thermal hunting and front side sloping so far.

A few pictures of the kit and my equipment install. Only a little bit of mod to bottom of servo tray to allow battery servo wiring and RX antenna tubing to under slide underneath for less cluttered setup.

Here is a video of its 2nd flight in pretty light conditions. There is a flight log of links to notable events in description for easy skipping around the rather long uncut video.
CCM-Toy (20 min 6 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2020, 08:09 AM
“ 3rd Generation RC Modeler”
Nice! Cute little plane.

Don’t ya just want em all!

Thank you for posting that.

Who sells it?

P
Last edited by Sky Angels; Mar 26, 2020 at 08:33 AM.
Mar 26, 2020, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Angels
Nice! Cute little plane.

Don’t ya just want em all!

Thank you for posting that.

Who sells it?

P
https://flightcomp.com/products/toy-...b74111a5&_ss=r
Mar 26, 2020, 11:41 AM
Fly low, fly fast
Mehrdad - great review and video. The video log was especially cool/helpful!

Been watching this one for a while and waiting for the hard version to come in. Seems like a perfect light air ship and the level of prefabrication is terrific. Happy to hear it will take X10 minis in the flaps as well.

Do you think it would hold up to some very light DS?
Mar 26, 2020, 11:46 AM
Thread OP
Haha so many toys, not enough time

CCM has their Dealers listed on their site, link in first post.

Mine came from Mahmoudi Modellsport as Darius had stock of Toy with desired color and pre-installed IDS frames and horns for KST servos.
Mar 26, 2020, 11:54 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin' Eagle
Mehrdad - great review and video. The video log was especially cool/helpful!

Been watching this one for a while and waiting for the hard version to come in. Seems like a perfect light air ship and the level of prefabrication is terrific. Happy to hear it will take X10 minis in the flaps as well.

Do you think it would hold up to some very light DS?
Right on Dominic, yes the Hard goes good in light DS. It thermals really well too. Fast build. I think forward range of CG 85 to 87 is good but you'll have to decide. I think you will like it.

I want a light also with tow hook. And a 3X carbon for strong conditions and DS

My friend Alexandre in Switzerland maiden his a couple days before me last week and has some great photos with higher degree wing joiner that hopefully he will post.
Mar 27, 2020, 01:34 AM
Hi,

Here are a couple of pictures of my Toy, same flying weight as Mehrdad's. Great little plane. So far I've flown it in a wide range of conditions, from no wind with light thermal to 25-30 mph winds. The total ballasting capability is not high (250g). I will make a full steel joiner, which should add about 400g to the total weight.

The only think that could be better, in my opinion, is the hardness of the wing surfaces. I find it easy to have some pressure points on the skin.

I also bought it from Darius in Germany, IDS frames and linkages already installed, electric cables installed, nice quick built. The extra 50 EUR for the frames + linkages RTF is definitely worth it.

I tested high speed dives starting at 1400 ft, no problems. The plane is pretty quiet in flight, doesn’t make much noise. Easy to fly and responsive. You can feel the difference between 5° and 10° joiners. 85-86 mm CG seems about right for me, too. I also asked for an heavier Slope/DS Light version. I think that if we could push the RTF weight without ballast to 1’400-1’500g, than max. flying weight of about 2kg with steel joiner and wing ballast, this could be good. The ballast tubes in my wing accepts Ř11.8 mm rods, 12 mm is too much unfortunalety. You can see that the ballast rods had to be turned/milled down from a 12 mm rod.

The first 5 pictures es are with 10° wing joiner, the other with 5° joiner.

Best regards from Switzerland,

Alexandre
Mar 27, 2020, 11:21 AM
Fly low, fly fast
Very nice Alexandre, thank you! It's a pretty plane, and the CCM planes I've had in the past have all been winners. Thoughtfully designed and great flyers.
Mar 28, 2020, 03:33 PM
Thread OP
I really enjoyed DS fun flying the Toy yesterday. No idea of speeds but it handled solid and sounded good.

DS fun with CCM-Toy (4 min 36 sec)
Mar 28, 2020, 07:51 PM
DS -- Nothing else matters.
Really nice flying Mehrdad - The Toy rocks!
Mar 28, 2020, 08:10 PM
Fly low, fly fast
Ok now I want one!
Mar 29, 2020, 10:29 AM
Thread OP
Thank you gentlemen, means a lot coming from you.

I was worried to push it and hurt the Toy while so young but wind speed was only in 20s and had confidence with Alexandre's report of high-speed dive tests starting from 1400 feet

Those laps felt good with half ballast installed. Ready-to-fly weight was just shy of 44 oz (~1240 grams). Ballast spacers were made from 7/16 inch diameter wood dowel (home depot). I kept CG at 87mm to test, however a little more nose heavy would have been even better for stability.

Should be fun to compare noise levels after adding gap seal to the control surfaces. Alexandre already has them installed on his.
Mar 29, 2020, 02:16 PM
Great video Mehrdad, thanks for sharing !

This makes me very curious about DS’ing the Toy myself.

In order to add ballast, I finally made a steel joiner for the Toy. It weighs 420g. Together with the brass wing ballast, I can reach 1’690g fully ballasted. I don’t know how the planes is going to handles this and which kind of speed it can handle at that weight. I guess time will tell.

I had to grind the joiner to 9.9mm thickness in order to perfectly fit in the wing pockets. The width of the carbon joiner (and of my steel joiner) is 20 +0/-0.05 mm, but actually it could be slightly wider than 20mm I think. There is a little gap on both sides.

Hope everyone is ok in these funny times.

Alexandre
Mar 30, 2020, 10:06 AM
“ 3rd Generation RC Modeler”
Shinny speed bar there! Should help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittaz
Great video Mehrdad, thanks for sharing !

This makes me very curious about DS’ing the Toy myself.

In order to add ballast, I finally made a steel joiner for the Toy. It weighs 420g. Together with the brass wing ballast, I can reach 1’690g fully ballasted. I don’t know how the planes is going to handles this and which kind of speed it can handle at that weight. I guess time will tell.

I had to grind the joiner to 9.9mm thickness in order to perfectly fit in the wing pockets. The width of the carbon joiner (and of my steel joiner) is 20 +0/-0.05 mm, but actually it could be slightly wider than 20mm I think. There is a little gap on both sides.

Hope everyone is ok in these funny times.

Alexandre
Mar 31, 2020, 02:45 PM
Hello,

It tested the Toy with steel joiner and brass wing ballast today, flying weight about 60 oz.

Fairly windy (30-35mph) but unfortunately too much from the side. Anyway, flew for about an hour, got a couple of nice dives, hard pulls. Everything held up, landing was a dream.

I was planning on doing some tree line DS laps, unfortunately with this crosswind it was not manageable. Next time.

Very happy with this plane, one of the best frontside 2m ship I’ve had so far. Price is fair in my opinion.

Alexandre

Quick Reply