Mar 25, 2020, 07:00 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Quik-V laser short kits available

Hey Everybody,

As many of you have heard from me and read in Tim Lampe’s column in Model Aviation recently, I’ve been working to get a version of the Quik-V available in a laser cut wood short kit to fill some of the void left by the Quik-V6 ARF from Great Planes. This new version is the Quik-V7 and has some structural improvements but externally is basically the same as the Quik-V6. It uses the same airfoil. The short kit includes the wood for the fuselage and tail and is being offered by Manzano Laser Works, in New Mexico.

https://manzanolaser.com/Quik-V7--AM...en_p_3428.html

The price came in better than expected at $64.95. It builds very nice and should be no problem for less experienced builders. I’m putting together some basic instructions with required drawings in a PDF that can be downloaded and printed from the Manzano page for the kit. Hope to have that available soon. I will shortly start a build thread on this forum. We don’t plan to offer full size plans at this point. For those of you who built one of the GP ARF’s, the instructions to finish the model after being framed and covered will be very helpful. With the job Tim Lampe did on those when he was with Hobbico, I can’t improve on them.

For wings, I’m working on several options. If you have a wing left over from one of the QV6 ARF’s, it’ll work perfect. A wing from a Viper 500 will work great too and there are a few of those still in stock at Tower Hobbies and probably a few more collecting dust on supplier’s shelves. The Viper wing will only require a bit of sanding of the saddle of the assembled fuselage, just behind the front wing mount to fit nicely. I’ll cover that in the build thread and instructions.

For those who want and are willing to sheet their own foam wings, I’ve also arranged for some CNC wing cores to be cut. Kevin Matney is offering them in both 48" ($30) and 52" ($35) lengths (shipped in halves of 24" and 26" for shipping cost reasons). You can contact Kevin through his website at:

http://www.matneymodels.com/wingcut.html

I'll get into the details of the difference between the 24" and 26" lengths in the build thread. Basically, with the 48" sheeted core, you add the wood support assemblies from the laser kit to the end of the sheeted core where, with the full length 52" sheeted core, the bottom fiberglass or plastic skins are fitted to the bottom of the tips of that sheeted core for an easier installation but the core and the sheeting can cost more. Your choice. Kevin will sell both but the longer cores are an extra $5.

At some point in the future, sheeted cores might be able to be made available in limited supply but not planning for that right now.

Wing tips are the next thing to consider. Vacuum formed plastic or fiberglass bottom wing tip skins are also available to get the same shape as the GP ARF. Quik-V’s have been using these tips since 1994. The fuse and tail short kit comes with wood pieces to support the plastic or glass tips. Again, you’ll order those from me.

Landing gear are fairly standard with 1 ” wide mounting pad so, a lot of racers will have “experienced” gear that they can use. The gear from one of the QV6 ARF’s, a Vortex, or a Neme-Q will work just fine. If you need one, I’ve had some made that are basically the same dimensions as the ones supplied in the ARF’s. They’ll be $13 plus shipping. They fit in the USPS Small Priority Mail box.

Tim also mentioned some other options coming hopefully later this year with molded composite wings being available and eventually a full molded composite version of the plane. That’s in the works and we’ll get the word out when those get closer. They’ll be made by Karl Harrod in Australia.

I hope this will helps fill some of void in the market. The kits go together very easy so if you have any building experience, you should be able to pull it off. I hope others will chime in on the thread with helpful info as well as we go along.

Take care,

Jim Allen
jamesea1-at-earthlink.net
Last edited by PylonJim; May 16, 2020 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Add Matney Models as source for foam cores.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2020, 12:58 PM
"Have that removed!"
Hi Jim.

I hope it's okay to post comments/discussion here - I believe that's your preference as you wrote in the build thread. (Sorry I failed to note this before I posted about the glue for the fuselage doublers!)

Not having the circular Dremel saw blade or a fixture to use it for slotting the edges of the V-tail for the 1/64" ply inserts (post #25 on page 2
(https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9&postcount=25)), I came up with my own tool using 5-minute epoxy to glue plywood sheets to both sides of an X-Acto No. 240 saw blade. Unfortunately, looks like this saw blade is no longer available:

https://www.toysperiod.com/xacto-240...ade-p-487.html

I suppose that anything similar should work: The X-Acto saw is 6-1/2" in length, about 1-5/8" deep with, as best as I can tell, about 17 teeth per inch (coarse). The thickness (most important part I suppose) is .020".

After testing on a scrap of 1/4" balsa, I found I needed to raise the blade off the workbench a little more. Leftover business cards made it perfect!

Tim Lampe
Last edited by KRProton; Apr 20, 2020 at 02:20 PM.
Apr 20, 2020, 02:18 PM
"Have that removed!"
Worked a charm...

Tim
Latest blog entry: Latest blog entry
Apr 20, 2020, 07:19 PM
Thread OP
Hi Tim,

No problem. Cool way to do the slots. great idea. Thanks for sharing it.

Jim
Apr 21, 2020, 01:19 PM
Jim/Tim,

I have used many different methods through the years. Fastest is the drill press with a Dremel saw blade and a fence. However, I like Tim's new concept. Here is the method I have supplied in the past only requires some ply and a knife blade. It is like everything else requires some technique to use, but can be assembled pretty quickly and easily.

DK
Last edited by dkane; Apr 22, 2020 at 09:24 AM.
Apr 21, 2020, 08:58 PM
"Have that removed!"
Hi Dan. Your tool uses a knife blade, not a saw? If it's something you came up with I'm sure it's great, but I would think it would be better to remove material (with a saw blade) to accommodate the 1/64" ply rather than splitting the wood with a blade, no?

Tim
Apr 22, 2020, 01:13 AM
Dan, I give credit for the slotting tool that you showed a picture of, to Jimmy Stegall. I first saw it almost 50 years ago. Maybe he copied it from someone else? Tim, when using this slotting tool you would bevel the edge of the 1/64" plywood. I use polyester resin for the adhesive because it gives a little working time. Lots of ways to accomplish the same task.
Apr 22, 2020, 06:03 AM
"Have that removed!"
Hi Greg.

As well as the V-tails discussed above, I also recently slotted the TE of the wing tips on my all-wood, built-up Quik-V6 wing. For both of these operations I used Titebond. To your point (recommending polyester resin for working time), I'll never use Titebond for this procedure again. It tacks up too fast and the chances of the ply pieces getting stuck only partway into the slots are great. Of course, your only recourse is to use more force to push them likely breaking the ply strips of whatever structure it is you're attempting to install them into. Finishing resin for me next time around! (My V-tails with clear MonoKote in the attached image.)

Tim
Apr 22, 2020, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton
Hi Dan. Your tool uses a knife blade, not a saw? If it's something you came up with I'm sure it's great, but I would think it would be better to remove material (with a saw blade) to accommodate the 1/64" ply rather than splitting the wood with a blade, no?

Tim
Perhaps. However, it works and I have used it many times. Whether it is a dumb idea or not, sometimes you have to use what you have.

I guess you use a saw to make hinge slots as well. Probably a better way to do that too.

I always take a pc of 64th and clean out the slot before installing and gluing. I use thin CA after the ply is inserted to secure it.

DK
Apr 22, 2020, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Doe
Dan, I give credit for the slotting tool that you showed a picture of, to Jimmy Stegall. I first saw it almost 50 years ago. Maybe he copied it from someone else? Tim, when using this slotting tool you would bevel the edge of the 1/64" plywood. I use polyester resin for the adhesive because it gives a little working time. Lots of ways to accomplish the same task.
Yes, I don't take credit for it. I only used it. It was simple to make and works fairly well. No clue who came up with the original concept.

DK
Apr 22, 2020, 10:08 AM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkane
I don't take credit for it. I only used it. It was simple to make and works fairly well. No clue who came up with the original concept.

DK
This is what the Patent Office calls "an obvious application of existing technology," therefore not eligible for a patent ... which I think is sort of a funny concept because it's only "obvious" after you see somebody else actually do it!

Anyway, thanks for sharing the idea!

Cheers,
Duane
Apr 22, 2020, 01:00 PM
"Have that removed!"
On using a blade to cut the slot for the 1/64" ply insert, probably the process of inserting the blade partially compresses the balsa a little to accommodate the ply. The process of test-fitting the insert probably compresses the balsa even a little more. Even if the outer surfaces bend out a little from the ply forcing it apart, I guess you still sand flat before sanding the bevel.

Okay, this is me backpedaling a little, carrying on a conversation with my pylon friends and unnecessarily beating a dead horse.

Tim
Apr 22, 2020, 11:30 PM
Tim, You are correct. Because the knife blade cuts a slot that doesn't remove any material, so that when you press in the 1/64" plywood the balsa is forced to "swell" slightly. That extra thickness sands out when doing the shaping. I start the 1/64" into the slot about 1/16", then brush on the polyester, which acts as a lubricant when pressing the plywood in the rest of the way. Water base alaphetic glue (Titebond) just makes the wood swell. Sometimes we learn more from our mistakes, then our successes!
Apr 23, 2020, 08:06 PM

Leo just about finished his Quik-V7

Leo just about finished his Quik-V7 to maiden on Saturday if weather is cooperating.
Leo used a Quik-V6 wing, Thunder Tiger power & Graupner radio gear.
Apr 23, 2020, 10:45 PM
Thread OP
Great job Leo!! How did the weight come out?

Jim

Quick Reply