History of Electric flight - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 01, 2002, 04:45 PM
Balsa Builder

History of Electric flight

Hello, I'm giving a speech soon in my speech class about the history of electric airplanes.

I would like to hear some first hand stories about planes, setups, performance (or lack there of) Basically if you have some info about electric planes for the last 20-25 years let me know.

Thanks,

--Paul
to remove ads between posts
Apr 01, 2002, 05:00 PM
BEC
BEC
Yikes, I could probably write a book on this if I had the time and the inclination. How much detail do you want and how far back do you want to go? (There was an electric column in American Aircraft Modeler - then the AMA's magazine - in 1973!)
Apr 01, 2002, 05:51 PM
Balsa Builder
Bernard,
Just a few basics, skim the topic, its a 4-6 minute speach, so only part of that is electrics from a long time ago. I could probably write a speech about it right now with the info I have, but I thought I'd get a little more info.

Very basic is the key. Just a generalization. Oh, and who were some of the Early guys, Bob Aberle, Bob Boucher, etc.....

Any one can email me at RC_Eflyer@hotmail.com if you'd like to.

Thanks again,

--Paul
Apr 01, 2002, 07:44 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Here's one
http://www.astroflight.com/whoarewe.html
Apr 01, 2002, 08:14 PM

History

Six minutes should be a good intro, but electric flight goes WAY back; it seems to me that there were electric models in the 50s, freeflight of course, that used a dry cell for power: one battery, one flight...
I can check ti out if it is important...
Apr 02, 2002, 11:20 AM
I forget where I saw it (probably History Channel) but there were e-planes before Orville and Wilbur.

Also steam.

Andy
Apr 02, 2002, 09:21 PM
Yea! It was about Zepplins in the 1800s guy took motor,batterys and put them in a balloon flew around untill the batteries died. I would guess it was the late 1800s
Apr 02, 2002, 11:00 PM
Balsa Builder
Guys thanks for your input. I gave the speech tonight. I got an A, but the problem I see is that 4-6 minutes didn't even scratch the surface. I could have gone on for hours.

I took my E3D and Champion in for a visual aid.

--Paul

I'll be closing this thread now. Actually, I'll leave it open, just so you guys can share some history if you'd like.