DIY Simple RC Airplane with Arduino RC Control

This is a simple to build foam board RC airplane that uses affordable electronics and a radio control system made from an Arduino board.

Splash

Build Your Own Plane with Arduino RC

This looks like a cheap, fun project you can do while stuck at home for the next couple of weeks. It's a simple to build foam board RC airplane that uses affordable electronics and a radio control system made from an Arduino board.

It works, but there are some drawbacks to the control system. The gimbals are not very precise and the range is limited. It may not be perfect, but at least it will keep you busy for a couple of days. Check out the build video below posted by Youtuber KendinYap.

Mar 25, 2020, 09:59 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Very neat.

Probably a good starting point for a short-range set based on a classic TX too!
Mar 25, 2020, 05:09 PM
Next video has details on the arduino part
Mar 28, 2020, 06:42 AM
Who let the dogs out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
...and the range is limited.
I've found that the NRF24 benefits from a better 3.3v supply than a Nano can provide, in fact a poor supply can cause it to be troublesome.
Unlike the Uno, the Nano doesnt have a dedicated 3.3v regulator but instead uses the 3.3v output from the FTDI/CH340G chip, which is not current limited but rated to only 50mA. This means that on NRF24 transmit current peaks you're relying on the 100uF capacitor, particularly when using the PA version.
I found that NRF's behave much more predictably with a decent 3v3 supply.
Range is further improved by using the PA/LNA NR24 at both ends, ie receiver too, rather than the PCB-aerial version that KendinYap uses.
At the receive end I generally used 3v3 Prominis, the on-board regulator is adequate in simple NRF-receive mode (ie less current in receive)
/2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed2004
Next video has details on the arduino part
I'm not sure if there's a misunderstanding about the NRF24L01 here... I noticed that the author goes to some length to reduce the payload to 32 bits, by limiting the resolution to 8 bits and the channels to 4, 8x4=32. However, this isnt the case, the NRF24 maximum packet size is 32 bytes not bits,
so he could have avoided all the downgrading and had up to 16 full resolution channels.

These are my own NFR24 receivers, full resolution with programmable failsafe on all channels

Cheers :-)
Phil
Last edited by Phil_G; Apr 01, 2020 at 10:16 AM.

Quick Reply